Anything about BXs
m_2975
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Brand new engine for my BX

Post by m_2975 »

Just having a look through the Citroën catalogue and found out that I can buy a brand new engine for my BX if I wanted to. They are in stock and ready to ship!

Only one problem.

The engine is about 4000pounds!
Not to mention the brand new gearbox at a mere 2500pounds

:shock: :shock: :shock:

It's all cheap if you have the money!

Not me though.
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Err no thanks, you can buy a recon one for a heck of alot less than that.
m_2975
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

tim leech wrote:Err no thanks, you can buy a recon one for a heck of alot less than that.
I've learnt the hard way that Recon ones are crap, whatever the claim. They are worn and although have new bits and pieces they are still a used engine (with unknown mileage when you get it).

The block is fatigued and you just don't know if something's been missed and you've gone to all the work of fitting it, only to find it's no good.

I bought reco drive shafts for my BX numerous times and they are really crap. While they work (and that's probably all that most people care), they weren't what i'd expect when i've forked out so much money to buy them expecting them to be 'as good as new' as they claim.

Michael
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Never bought a re-con engine, but what you say, figures :?

I've seen a guy who sells re-con washing machines, now I know what the con bit means :(
They think it's all over, it is now!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I know a few guys in Bristol that re-con engines, and there standard of workmanship is second to non.
I've re-conned god knows how many engines, and they've gone on to do huge mileages..

It's all about selecting the right engine to re-con in the first place.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I thhink that's probably the whole issue there Doc.
I've seen supposedly recon engines offered over the years on Auto Trader and the likes and being honest I can't see how they could possibly be 'properly' recon'd at the prices they charge as they wouldn't be able to buy the part alone for what they charge.
I have heard some places used buy engines out of scrappies, perhaps replace a couple of gaskets, paint them up and sell them on as recons. That way if it doesn't fail within 3 months (or whatever the warranty period is) they willl be laughing and if it does they'll just chuck another scrap yard find in until the original warranty has expired. Money and old rope spring to mind.
Vauxhall apologist.
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Nothing wrong with high milage engines they make the best blocks for racing engines (the higher the milage the better)
Just ask BMW.
When they wanted a turbo engine for F1 they took the blocks from high milage company pool cars as the starting point.
It used to be the practice to bury engine blocks in the ground for years to de stress the castings before using them to make good race engines
It is also common to allow the bores of a race engine to acumalate some surface rust before honing to create small holes in the bore surface to hold oil helping the engine to run better (when i say small i mean microscopic).

Regards Kermit

Not many high powered engines come from new blocks (BMW's F1 turbo engine procuce in excess of 1300 bhp from 1500 cc NOT BAD) 8)
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)