Dashboard bulbs

Anything about BXs
nstarmore
BXpert

Dashboard bulbs

Post by nstarmore »

This may be a really silly question but if I want to get new dashbaord bulbs for the BX and Xantia, do I need to go to Citroen and ask for X amount of dashboards bulbs or are they specific to different areas of the dash? Thinking if it is the former I can just buy a load and replace them as they go.

Nic
Last edited by nstarmore on Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nic

- 1995 Xantia SX TD (daily hack)
- 1987 BX 16V (project)
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

The bulbs themselves as far as I know for the bx at least are all the same, the holders do differ, but if your careful you can remove the old bulb and slip in a new one without damaging the holder.

I wouldnt be going to citroen for the dash bulbs as they are a rip off, most motor factors will be able to supply them as they are not specific to citroens. As for Xantias I have only changed my heater panel bulbs but they were the same as those fitted to bx's. It advisable to get quite a few if they are cheap enough as we all know bx's get through bulbs with ease! 8)
admiral51
Confirmed BX'er

Post by admiral51 »

as far as i know the heater panel bulbs are the only ones that come fixed in the holders whereas all the other dashbulbs are just push fit into the holders
as tim leech said any motor factors will sell them much cheaper than a main dealer
may i respectfully suggest you replace all of them whilst the dash is out cos sods law states..................... :lol: :lol:

colin
nstarmore
BXpert

Post by nstarmore »

Cheers for that Tim, I had a feeling you'd come through on this one as I know you've done a lot of bulb swapping of late.

That's cool thanks for the advise I'll go an get a load then I think, do you or anyone else know what type of bulb I'm asking for or should I just take one of the broken ones in?
Nic

- 1987 BX 16V (project)
nstarmore
BXpert

Post by nstarmore »

admiral51 wrote:may i respectfully suggest you replace all of them whilst the dash is out cos sods law states..................... :lol: :lol:
Yeh I think I will, ruddy things
Nic

- 1987 BX 16V (project)
admiral51
Confirmed BX'er

Post by admiral51 »

just take one of them in with you but do a little bit of shopping around halfrauds should have booklet with the ref number for the bulb type
colin
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

The price I have paid fo rthese have varied from 10p to over 50p each, so shop round, halfords arent renowned for being good value.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

What you want are fruit machine 1.2w bulbs. Buy a huge sheet of them off ebay for a fraction of the price :D

I get mine from a mate at work who services fruit machines.
Over and out from me
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

they are called 1.2w capless bulbs, on average i find artound 10 deeeeed, 99% of BXs use the ones which can be removed from there holders including heater control lighting, i belive some of the very last BXs used the ones you have to but complete with holders, as this type have the bulb legs spot welded into the holders, this type are £1 odd each, i take each one out in turn and put them across a meter, dont forget the ones behind the cover on the rear of the instrument panel
regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

Ian_Fearn wrote:What you want are fruit machine 1.2w bulbs. Buy a huge sheet of them off ebay for a fraction of the price :D
Mine cost £3 for 50 from the bay. All I've got to do now is to get round to installing them...
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
nstarmore
BXpert

Post by nstarmore »

oooh fruit machine bulbs sound good...I might go for that. Next silly question is do you need to buy green coloured bulbs or does the colour come from the dials and the coloured plastic :oops: ?
Nic

- 1987 BX 16V (project)
Dickieg
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickieg »

The bulbs are called 'R286' in catalogues.
admiral51
Confirmed BX'er

Post by admiral51 »

nstarmore wrote:oooh fruit machine bulbs sound good...I might go for that. Next silly question is do you need to buy green coloured bulbs or does the colour come from the dials and the coloured plastic :oops: ?
not silly as you can buy them in a variety of pastel shades but the clear ones will give the correct colour for each ones as the colour comes from the plastic on the instrument panel

colin
nstarmore
BXpert

Post by nstarmore »

thanks all for the advice, just bought 50 fruit machine bulbs from ebay for £5.00 all in (couldn't find them any cheaper) so seems like a good deal to me :D

I think the bulbs behind the Xantia dial's may be the ones I'll have to buy seperately but I don't mind paying a bit more for them, one thing is for sure I'll soon find out.
Nic

- 1987 BX 16V (project)
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

halfrauds should have booklet with the ref number for the bulb type
Don't ever believe the Halfords book of lies! I've never, ever seen it get the correct answer for light bulbs or windscreen wipers.