Bugger me I've actually got one!

Anything about BXs
demag
BXpert

Bugger me I've actually got one!

Post by demag »

16 TXS. 6 months mot. It's a bit rufty tufty but it's 90% there and its all I could afford after getting through an absolute mint on holiday.

Engine and box seem ok. Interior is nice. Ok thats the good bits!! :?

The sunroof is shot and it looks like somone's been playing as the cables are poking out! Exhaust is rattling but I don't think its blowing. Electrically everything appears to work apart from s/r. Even the heater controls are ok!

Suspension doesn't suspend! :roll: The front doesn't rise I'm hoping its just the linkage off the height corrector. The back rises but is solid so its going to need spheres. I haven't had time to touch it yet (story of my life :evil: ) but I'm off work for a while so hope to make a start soon.

Quite a few dings and scrapes but nothing major. The bonnet is steel! I thought they were composite, isn't that what Citroen made such a big deal about?

There's no parcel shelf so if anyone has one for sale I'm in the market. Its done about 50k (ish) so hopefully it will clean up.
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Parcel shelf. Are you coming to the National? If so I have one you're welcome to.
this might be a signature
mat_fenwick

Re: Bugger me I've actually got one!

Post by mat_fenwick »

demag wrote:The bonnet is steel! I thought they were composite, isn't that what Citroen made such a big deal about?
There are a few cars out there with steel bonnets, I think it tends to be the very late ones although i have heard of early ones with them too (perhaps they were transferred from a later car?)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Stel bonnets were always an option AFAIK.

I've got a few steel lids kicking about from various year cars.

Well donr sir!
Any piccies??

We like piccies.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Excellent, glad you've got one!

Steel bonnets: my 1984 BX14E had a steel bonnet and I was once told that the most basic model 14s had steel. I also heard that all diesels had steel bonnets but couldn't confirm.

Best to get the car over a pit or ramps for the front susp - if there's no LHM leaking out then it's likely that the height corrector linkage clamp has slipped on the anti roll bar - an easy fix. But it's not unheard of to have a stuck height corrector that needs a mild wedge free by a large screwdriver. It can occur where a bit of debris has been floating around in the LHM and it happened to me (albeit in the opposite direction, wouldn't go down) freed up with a lever in the HC linkage fork but never did find the bit of debris.. :roll:
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Piccies of new motor. Notice the Xm peeping round the hedge. Fiat Cinq in front of the Xm for sale if anyone's interested. Ok ok there's no need to get abusive! :roll:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Not brilliant as can be seen but its something to go at. The front inner arches have been patched but the rear shuts look perfect.
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Looks good to me! I've got a steel bonnet on my '85 TRD by the way, who knows why?
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Ive got a steel bonnet on the TXD & a plastic one on the turbo, both K reg.

Nice colour that car, same as my Gti :D
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

The pictures make it look a lot better than it really is. There are little scrapes and marks all over it which is a shame. Its only had three owners so was probably looked after for a good while. The person I bought it off was driving it round with flat suspension saying what a good laugh it was over the speed humps!! :evil: Its a wonder its still got wheels on! I reckon its had a tough time over the last year or so. Still I'll put a bit of time into it while the sun is shining. I've got two front spheres so will try and get it standing up properly asap.
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Err, just noticed there's a club sticker in the back window! :shock:

So someone on here must know something about it!
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

It looks better than I was expecting from your description!

I've posted before about how smaller Citroens give their executive big brothers a damn good run for their money - once you've got it driving right, you'll discover that it's about 90% of your XM. GS/As had the same trick when compared to CXs.

Bonnets were, apparently, random. I've owned four BXs - three diesels and one petrol. The petrol and one of the diesels had plastic, one of the diesels had steel... and I honestly can't remember what my current diesel has! I *think* it's steel. Maybe.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

That looks alright that mate!
A good polish should see it looking better, I shit you not, I never really bothered with my red car, washed it occasionally, but thats about it, it was scratched, faded and shagged in the paint department, but I got bored last weekend and spent some time polishing it with various cutting / polishing stuffs, and it looks the bollocks now. Ok, being red it'll be shite again in a week or two, but yours stands a better chance!

Bonnets were totally random, it came down to who was supplying that week really.
Although nearly all the last cars had steel, since there a fair few to get shot of.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

stuart_hedges wrote:I honestly can't remember what my current diesel has!
I believe your current car has a plastic bonnet.

.. as noted by the fact that I've never seen a steel bonnet on a BX. (as in opened the bonnet and thought "ooh, that's a steel one")

Of those, that's
The Digit
A 1985 17RD
Both of MNDE's meteors
three of Stu's BX's
a 1989 DTR
my current 1989 DTR turbo

Very odd.
this might be a signature
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Fear not: you have bought the easiest BX on which to get a hand down the back of the engine, if the front height corrector linkages are seized or stiff. A bit of manual working to and fro can work wonders.

Compared to a diesel or turbodiesel, the back-of-engine space available is cathedral-sized.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

I didn't realise it was gettable from the top! I've been sorting the trolley jack and stands out. Which side of the engine is it? I'll try giving it a rattle.
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.