The Citroën Classic Challenge archive

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

The Citroën Classic Challenge archive

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Much has been talked about a follow-up to the BXagon Challenge; much of it by me and some of the other participants. I know I could be accused as having some sort of big ego issues in wanting to be the organiser of such a thing but the calling is there and I feel I need to at least have a go at doing another event. So bear with me.

First, successful though the BXagon was (well, we all returned in one piece and we did raise a few grand for a worthy cause whilst still having a good time), it was flawed. The concept was too big for most and indeed the amount of commitment in money and time was just too great. (Having said that, it will remain in the memories of the participants for a long time and I believe that some who opted out before the start probably regret it now having seen the pics and read the anecdotes!).

So how can we make another event as good, but more accessible, challenging and less costly for all involved?

Here's an idea:
Rather than do 3,000 miles over 12 days, I'm considering 1,000 miles in five to seven days. ('Why' I here you ask 'is it not 1/3 or the time if it's only 1/3 of the distance?'… there's a reason, read on…).

It's open to anyone with a Citroen.

The route will expressly avoid the autoroutes (and other major carriageways where possible). There will be challenges, observation and navigation tasks, riddles and other little bits of fun to complete).

The halfway point needs to be something a bit special like joining up with a French Citroen Club somewhere.

Accommodation was a killer last time and few of us (being honest) found that aspect satisfactory: and for those of us who stayed in hotels it was bloody expensive too. So I suggest holding this event at a time when camping will be available. It will also help to build the camaraderie if can all gather around of an evening and chat about the day's events - and those to come.

It might be nice if we could meet up for lunch now and then along the route as well as just rendezvous in the evenings. It also means we are possibly more likely to drive around in convoy 'batches'.

I will be suggesting some alternative routes and dates over the next few days, so if you're interested, watch this space (PM any suggestions to me and I'll try to incorporate them).

Finally (for now) the 'big question'….

How much will it cost my team and how will the Charity benefit?

My initial thoughts are each team should pay entry of say, £200. The lion's share of that goes directly to the Charity via JustGiving (because GiftAid meant that CRUK received more than £900 extra last time). Off the top of my head, maybe £25 of that will go to administration (communications and printing) and the purchase of stickers, although more might be needed if we need 'props' for our tasks (TBC).

So, in addition to the entry fee (which could be in part collected as donations from friends, neighbours, colleagues and family as well as sponsorship from a company(?) there would be the cost of travel to the port, the Channel crossing itself - free if you have sufficient Tesco vouchers, food and camping and other (either optional or necessary Hotel stop over), fuel and insurance(s). I would estimate allowing £500 for a six-day event. Possibly less - it depends on a few factors like exchange rate and fuel prices. That means if we planned it for, say May/June 2012 that'd mean putting less than a tenner in a pot per week from next month…

Ah well that's all for now folks:

In the meantime some pics of the BXagon to get you dreaming of 'the next time' lol!

Citroen Rally - Return of the BXagon?

Last edited by Philip Chidlow on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

I know there's much talk about organising something and i REALLY want in if i don't do something in 2011...
Last edited by JayW on Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Post by messerschmitt owner »

replied on the XM forum
Citroen XM 2.1TD SX hatchback
Citroen XM 2.1TD VSX estate
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

^^ ^^ ^^bx> I'm in. Do we nominate an individual charity or is it one charity per se? 8)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

We had a long debate about which charity etc. In the end we went for Cancer Research UK because it's a very worthwhile and efficient charity, with a high proportion of donations being channeled directly to research. It was also decided to dedicate this event to Alan Smith (AlanS) who sadly passed away falling victim to cancer.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Cor, those photos have just reminded me what an epic adventure BXagon 1 really was! The snow, the rain, the mileage...

I do agree - it was just a bit too long (in duration) last time so by the time we were nearing Calais again, there was a real desire to be home with a proper cup of tea!!

However, the mountain sections really added some drama and adventure (especially when we just about got to the top of a 2000m mountain in a BX that was peeing coolant everywhere, in horizontal snow!) so any scope for some altitude this time around?
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

A number of options are being considered, one of which does indeed include an Alps element... Trouble is in getting there and back it somewhat curtails options for the other parts of the route. I'll have a think.
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Out of curiosity, what was the total miles & duration of the BXagon (as i weren't about at the time)...?
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi I believe the distances travelled averaged about 2,800 miles but Dollywobbler / Team Green Tiger exceeded 3,000 I think. Some BXers joined us for short legs of the circuit. Duration was 11 days of driving, with visits to a number of places like a breakers near Mulhouse, a detour to Monaco, trip into the Pyrenees etc. The middle of the event was marked by a day off where we went to another breakers and enjoyed the local hospitality (I certainly did to excess!)... 18th to 29th October were the dates.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Aye - we cracked 3100 miles by the time I was back on my driveway because we rebelled, ignored the road book and tried to drive through as many countries as possible on the way! (Belgium, Luxumbourg, German, Switzerland, Monaco and Spain - missed Andorra and Italy due to iffy coolant pipe).

It really doesn't feel that far when you break it down though - pretty sure the most miles we drove in a day was the 350 of that first day slog.
philhod
BXpert

Post by philhod »

:lol: It's still along drag from the so**h. I drove home to Wigan from Metz a few years back, in a day. (well just over actually)
Left Metz at 07-30 Arrived home 01-15 :roll:
67 and still rockin (but not in a chair)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

3793 miles for me door to door, if it's a contest. 8)

I had a great time on the BXagon, I just wonder whether less 'rules'/organisation may be the key to making this event even more enjoyable?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

mat_fenwick wrote:3793 miles for me door to door, if it's a contest. 8)

I had a great time on the BXagon, I just wonder whether less 'rules'/organisation may be the key to making this event even more enjoyable?
I don't know to be honest, Mat. What do you suggest? I don't think the BXagon had too many 'rules' did it? Everyone seemed to do roughly what they liked regardless of the 'suggested' (that's all it was) route.

I could leave out all the challenges and tasks I guess. And then leave out the entry fee - and donation to charity too (or rather make it entirely voluntary?). Then set advisory dates and route too? :lol: There needs to be some organisation - especially if we were planning to meet up with a fellow club at a gathering half way for instance. But I'm all ears.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I was pretty much in favour of the charity idea last time, and obviously it's great that others can benefit from what would otherwise be a 'selfish' holiday. But it's just that I felt slightly guilty about enjoying something that I had been sponsored to do, if you get my drift.
I agree it needs organisation, it's just deciding what is the 'right' amount. And that I don't know! It would be ideal (for me) to just be able to change plans half way round if something interesting cropped up, but that would be a nightmare with a large group and would scupper meets on the way round.
Anyway, there's plenty of time for ideas! :lol:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Maybe just forget the road trip idea? Arrange a meet somewhere on a certain day and see who turns up... nothing wrong with that. But not what I have in mind. It is the road trip that does it for me. You've got to admit the CB banter on 'convoy days' made it fun. Having said that if someone wants to go off and do something else half way through nobody's going to get upset about that!

I think as this is something that will involve the CCC, FCF and CXM lot too, it would be absolutely essential to have a structure, set dates etc. And maybe to avoid guilt we put 1p a mile into the charity pot at the end from our own pockets. As you say there's plenty of time to discuss.

But take some time to see how other clubs arrange these things. I do remember the recent LE JOG (Land's End > John O'Groats event) cost about 2 or 3 grand to enter! But a simple Scumball event, still costs a lot to enter. We have to ensure it is the trip, the enjoyment of being part of something that is paramount. I don't think the charity element is out of place, but maybe I'm wrong?