The Citroën Classic Challenge archive

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, (Campbell, excellent feedback, thanks) the momentum's building slowly but surely...

I think rather than waste time trying to come up with a completely different route we should build on the option posted. So although it will transmute as required by the location of campsites and other attractions (!), it is our framework.

Number of spaces to be limited to 30. Open to any Citroen. Entry per team TBC but is likely to be £50-75 per car-ish although this might climb a little if, a) we have much fewer than 30 cars taking part or, b) there is any significant cost associated with any rendezvous with a French club (e.g. venue hire share etc). Any profits go to charity (CRUK again).

So, any input on camping etc. is hugely welcome... I think I've got a French camping guide somewhere too.

Now. Timing...

I've given this a lot of thought.
First 2011. Why not?
First, with family holiday (a three-weeker is due), anniversary and birthday considerations (Liz and I are 50, Amy is 18 next summer) as well as unavoidable work commitments, I can't do it. I can't spare the time to! Much as I'd like.

2012 is the 30th Anniversary of the BX which is significant in promoting the event, even though it is open to all. Maybe French club Planete BX ( http://planetebx.ifrance.com ) might be interested in a meet-up? What's more, for those continental-types who can't make the ICCCR in the UK it's an opportunity to do something different closer to home. That's why picking Nevers/Magny-Cours is a good idea - it's central in relation to much of France and the low countries/Germany etc.

Also, it gives ample time to plan the route/options for visits, to sort out and book crossings, camping etc. It also gives family-committed (if you know what I mean!) Citroenistes to plan their 2012 whereas many will have already discussed/planned if not already booked their spring/summer breaks.

Holding this event 18 months in advance means all participants have time to save up. To get their car fully sorted (or a 'new' one bought and prepared - which is probably what I'll do) and to leave a nice wad of cash behind for their spouses/kids to spend to offset their absence! :lol: :roll:

BUT

Having said that, I think a mini-event for 2011 is a nice idea. Some have suggested a trip to Millau, or Normandy - I even suggested a trip to Loheac - so maybe in May next year we can nip over and do a three/four day jolly? It's just that I realistically won't be able to devote much time or resources to it. My youngest daughter wants to do a road trip so a quick one is on the cards anyway at some point.

For discussions of a 2011 event please, someone start another thread, and gauge opinion. It could end up with being one in the UK even!

Dates:
I am going to throw in this suggestion and see where it goes...

Saturday 26th May to Thursday 31st May 2012. The following week is (in our region anyway) half-term (which includes TWO days of bank holiday).
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I'm going to post a POLL thread re: dates for 2012.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Initial route draft map.

messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Post by messerschmitt owner »

I can see a nice car sticker using the map of the route - it's a bit like a 'Ring' one.
Citroen XM 2.1TD SX hatchback
Citroen XM 2.1TD VSX estate
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi all,

In response to requests for an Alps focussed event, I put my thinking cap on.

It would involve a couple of days devoted to mile-eating monotony but it is do-able in six days. Day 1, drive to Dijon. I've done it in a day quite comfortably - but although it's fine in an XM, not so sure about BX/Visa/DS/Dyane etc. Day 2, another long-ish drive to Albertville. Day 3: Albertville>over the Alps at Col du Galibier and back via another Col past Albertville to St. Gervais. Day 4: A gruelling trans-alpine drive to Montreaux. Day 5 Montreux to Nancy, via Mulhouse (a tall-ish order but there are some fast stretches) and Day 6, Nancy back to Calais - over 300 miles but we are planning to do that (in reverse, according to Plan A).

Anyway, although it is appealling in many ways, it falls outside the intentions of the Challenge as conceived so I feel it has to be left to someone else to arrange. And would hope to do it!

Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

"Nancy back to Calais - over 300 miles but we are planning to do that (in reverse, according to Plan A)."

Don't drive that far in reverse, it will be hard to see where you are going.

Seriously though;

Isn't that 7 days driving on the map, with 2 nights at the southern most stop?

300 miles is fine in a BX, but tough in a 2CV even with 2 drivers. Indeed, is it possible to do that in a day with a car with only 2 pistons?

Good adventure though, which is what it should be about.

I would add one extra day to the bottom of the route.
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

He he... reverse indeed. First stage has to be done in first gear and so on lol....

No, It's still six days, Mike. Only one night at each of the stops. But my guess is you could make this a seven day event quite easily introducing a 'loop further south/south west from the Grenoble area... Are you offering to organise a Citroën Alpine Adventure? :D

But seriously I think both plans could work, but I am mindful of the fact I didn't want to make this the BXagon Challenge's lesser brother. Hence the plan to try and introduce a sprinkling of things that weren't present on our 2009 adventure. And to actually seriously think of ways to make it more attractive to a broader range of Citroën drivers.

However

If there is a clammering to adopt the Alpine plan I will go with the flow.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Couldn't resist....

I think I'll call it 2012 CITROËN Classic CHALLENGE...

And yes, I know the flags on the right are wrong lol!

mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

^^ ^^ That's class Phil. Deserves a run of t-shirts as well as stickers. Looking forward to it already keep up the planning your doing a fantastic job. Regards Mark. 8)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Mike - I've driven Becancon to home in Cambridgeshire in a day in the 2CV. It was bloody horrible - 665 miles and about 17 hours of driving. Calais to Dijon would be do-able though I reckon - and it is meant to be a challenge after all.

Route looks superb - takes in some of my favourite parts of France and some I've not been to before. When you get off the major routes, there are some beautiful, slightly-dilapidated towns and villages in that region.
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Good work on the sticker Phil
I still have a spare from BXagon 1 :)
I hope the Green Hornet is still alive and kicking for this new challenge.
The Artwork on that sticker should be signed off NOW. :lol:
Absolutely right first time. =D>
Also would like to add a variety of models would make a great spectacle.
Andi think this could turn out to be as good as the first forray into the motherland.

Regards Kermit
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Dollywobbler wrote:Route looks superb...
Which one red or blue?
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Either really - don't know those areas well enough to confirm one way or the other, but I like the idea of checking out the east of France.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, I've had some contact with potential interested parties and the RED route seems the favourite. Given that I really would like to TRY to get a meet up in central France with a French club, and there're some apparently fab places around there, it's more than likely to be the route for the Challenge 2012. However.

The BLUE route, which is more a dash for the Alps, could form the basis of another jaunt at another time.

A decision could be made fairly soon, although it's not frightfully urgent...
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Like that, im in.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....