The Citroën Classic Challenge archive

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

That should be grand. We stopped in Champery in Switzerland (but near the French border) and that whole area is breathtakingly beautiful.

Do you have an idea of which way around you'll do it? I'm just aware that mountains in the second part may be best. We had a 2CV rally a few years back and we made the mistake of heading up to Scotland first - after that, everything else seemed a bit of a disappointment!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

As you say, it will make a difference... Good observation. I agree so if everyone is largely happy with the idea, I would do it anti-clockwise...
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

That would also help with the snow/pass situation, so a win-win!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Good plan Phil.

7 days are a good choice.

mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Just become aware of all this excitement..............
Deal me in.
The passes will all be open in mid May so any route you choose will be doable.
Any of the dates would suit me but probably that end of May shot is best.

I am off to the Alps myself at the start of October. So I will do the Col du Galibier again for those that missed it and post a pic.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
artic-steel
BXpert

Post by artic-steel »

That sounds good to me, i can't see the map but the names are enough to tell me all i know.

Like Jaba no great preference for dates so will fall in with whatever.
1984 - Citroen BX 19GT
1999 - Volvo S40 1.8
1999 - Kawasaki ZX6R J1
1986 - Kawasaki GPZ900R A3
1985 - Kawasaki GPZ900R A2
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

OK everyone, I've drafted this which I propose should form the basis of our plans. It's a SEVEN day trip (six just wasn't enough). It combines the two routes to a degree, and addresses the wishes of some potential participants who really want lots of mountain stuff :)

kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

That route suits me fine.
all repairs / modifications to the Green Hornet should just about be done by then so Tally Ho chap's
I will pass onthis info to the lads at Worthing Motors and as they will have over a year's notice there should be no excuses this time

Regards Kermit
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

As mentioned on the Poll thread, the route might have to go through some more adjustments (having looked at the position of some campsites).

Also, I examined the route from France to Switzerland, and it's a little tricky to get some variety or interest between Martingny and Bern, although I might've found a nice campsite near Interlaken, which means we might have to adjust the last stages, with a stopover short of Nancy, leaving a longer run for the last stage... but that shouldn't be a problem.

Another thing is I might pull the first stopover further West, otherwise we might end up using the same campsite for the first and last stops (Near St. Dizier) and the routes are only 50kms apart at that point... it might be nice to cover ground nearer to Troyes.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

There have been some adjustments to the provisional route. Quite big, although the route's the same length. It will allow people the option of joining from a string of crossing points along the North coast which was something I received some requests for. So, although the start is ostensibly Calais, others can join from Boulogne, Dieppe, La Havre, even Caen.

Anyway it also means we get more variety on the route too. The kink North of Macon is dictated by campsite locations, but that could change, shortening that section.

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi there,

Prompted by the suggestions of three parties now, can I propose we consider something a bit on the radical side?

This event doesn't have to start in Calais. It can finish there, but that's OK, as we can arrange an end-of-event bash etc.

(Stay with me) So where do we start from? If it's not Calais, common sense might suggest it's most southerly point, before the event turns towards the mountains and on to the real 'core' of the Challenge. After all, for some contemplating participation, the headlong dash south won't be appealing, especially as it doesn't have much of an 'Event' purpose other than shifting a bunch of Citroens and their occupants to that southerly point...

So for those seeking a more leisurely drive through the heart of France, this proposal has it's attractions. Similarly for those who fancy just strapping themselves into their Citroen, sticking to the original plan and bombing off South (even in a day - it is do-able) nothing really changes. Whichever participant we are talking about, there'll be (with hopefully 30 teams) some chance for sharing at least part of this first phase of the journey.

What would the 'Start point' be then? I am examining a few possibilities around Gap, for instance there's a nice campsite* East of there, apparently: and it might be nice to hold a day's 'rally' close to there, while we assemble to the teams for the mountain assault.

*e.g. http://www.campingleroustou.com/english/index.html

Thoughts???
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

"After all, for some contemplating participation, the headlong dash south won't be appealing, especially as it doesn't have much of an 'Event' purpose "

OK, driving a Citroen C1 across France may not be appealing, but the fun on the BXagon began before I had even left my garage; In that I had to prepare the 17 year old car ready for its road trip.

The event does not really need a 'purpose', it is an event.

We know it is extra fun travelling in groups, and on this trip we should have some time to visit places more on route. It was a shame on the BXagon to whizz past so many places I would have liked to stop at, but we had a tight schedule.

Obviously, folk are welcome can join the run at any point they wish.

Calais is an obvious start/stop point for the English.

I appreciate you are trying to include as many participants as possible, but this is achieved by being flexable.

Mike

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

OK, a double start point then. Seems equitable. Calais for the die-hards and Gap for the 'mountaineers' :lol:

The thing is, the luxury we have here is to make an event that is appealing -(without going down the trying to please everyone route).

Am I alone in wishing for an extra day on the schedule?
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Is is 8 days now then? Good, suits me.

Mike

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Sounds a good idea to me (a double start) - those who want to do their own thing for part of the time would be able to do that on the way down (taking as long or as little time as they wished), and do the 'organised' part on the way back up!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad