The Citroën Classic Challenge archive

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Agreed, I have given this a lot of thought. I like the idea of less organisation and making it more of an 'in the spirit of...' affair in the early stages.

Jaba, for instance joined the BXagon at a point further South after our initial plough down there, and that wasn't a problem - it was great to have some local knowledge! To concentrate the organisation in the section of the event that really needs it is wise. Likewise, because Todd and Remy(hopefully) will be joining us too, being in that neck of the woods, we will benefit from their local scrappy knowledge etc.

As for making it eight days, I think I will post a suggested (outline) itinerary later.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

It's shaping up as an early May affair, with an advisory departure from Calais of the 9th May, (although joining the route from other ports of entry is an option too) arriving in or near Gap, (Alpes de Haute Provence region) for a Citroen Rally (hopefully including French car clubs) on Saturday 12th May. From there it's onwards and (literally) upwards, into the mountains (Alps and Jura Mountains in France and Switzerland), with arrival in Calais 16th May.

Map and other details to follow.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

A bit more info:

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I've got prices in for stuff, and have drafted an awards plan.

The entry cost for each team will be £75. Profits will of course go to Cancer Research UK.

Part of the cost increase is due to having to provide funds for the envisaged Rally on the 12th May.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

This event has a Facebook page.
God knows how I get one of those shortened links up on here, Ive tried but phailed. (following the sticky to the letter too).

So just go to your FB page and search for Classic Challenge 2012 :roll: :evil:

(Mods can you help?)
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Here you go :)
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

To do that Ray has typed:

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/Classic-Challenge-2012/163448066999966]Here[/url]

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

That's what I did. I think. But obviously I didn't. My bad. :(

Thanks!
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

You're welcome!

Fenwick & Fenwick - IT Support you can rely on! :D
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Philip Chidlow wrote: The entry cost for each team will be £75. Profits will of course go to Cancer Research UK.
I admit I\'ve skipped pretty much the whole thread as it seemed to wonder around through different ideas and I couldn\'t work out which one had stuck, but surely £75 of that fee is profit? I mean I could just turn up and drive that route myself, what\'s the £75 for?

And is this a sponsored event-type thing again, or is it just for the crack?

Cheers
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Kitch, this is not a sponsored event. That £75 fee is intended to largely go to Cancer Research UK to offset the fact there's no fund-raising. I have set the target of 20-30 teams, that means theoretically between £1,500 and £2,250 will be collected in entry fees.

Of that I need to take out the following:

The actual cost of stickers and any distributed printed matter as appropriate.

The prize fund. There will be mini-challenges but in essence the end of event team quiz will have three prizes topped by a £100 first prize. Of course I won't be able to take part so of all the teams I am not going to be able to win my entry fee back.

So all in all deductions are likely to be no more than say, £400. Although I will have to spend a lot of time on promoting, planning and communicating (and unless you've tried it you won't appreciate how much there is), I won't be taking a penny for 'administration'.

I will pay all that is left over to Cancer Research UK.

If people don't like it, well, don't participate. Simples. :wink:

If a team turns up to take part without paying the entry fee, then apart from the fact their car won't be stickered, there's nothing I can do about it. Only paid up teams will get the detailed route plan and campsite/hotel details, but if 'unofficial' teams choose to save their £75 and follow us around, I will have no time for them - and I suspect neither will the participants (who have entered into the spirit and don't mind paying the fee knowing about £61 of it will go to charity).

Given my experience of the BXagon, this event is necessarily less of a democratic affair. I'm not forcing anyone to take part, after all. The choice is there and I have tried to ensure that all the route/timing/cost debates are got out of the way early on. I think the route is now settled in principle, with all the detailed work yet to do, (including devising challenges/quizes etc). The dates too are 90% confirmed, but a post will be made giving unambiguous information that will supersede all previous plans and discussions.

Although I am happy to address concerns such as your's Kitch, as it helps resolve in everyone's mind what the deal is, I will be less patient with pointless detractors and doom-merchants (not meaning you Kitch!) which hampered the initial stages of the BXagon planning. The message got so bogged down and the enrollment suffered because of it.

But please don't promote the idea of just turning up and driving the route yourself

:roll: :lol:
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Right, well I\'m not gonna go into detail and turn this thread into a debate thread, if the intention was to advertise the fact it\'s happening. If anyone wants to do that, I think a seperate thread should be started personally.

All I\'ll say is that to me, donating to charity is just that....donating. You donate whatever you can and do whatever you can. Having a £75 entry fee is almost like saying \"if you donate, you must donate X amount\" which personally I take issue with.

The other point I\'d make is that one of the reasons I didn\'t take part in the last one was mainly that I\'d just become a dad, but truthfully if I hadn\'t I doubt I would have anyway. The fun of being into cars and doing car related activities for me is just that, the fun. When you get onto the tacky subject of money it almost removes the fun from it, especially when you have to drum up sponsorship to drive your car somewhere. Surely everyone can just drum up a route together and go on a roadtrip around France for the fun of it? I know charity is good and I\'ve lost people to the big C myself...I don\'t doubt the work they do in the slightest. But what\'s this mentality that seems to be around that we can\'t have fun if we\'re not raising money?
I appreciate that this time you\'re suggesting a one-off fee, not drumming up sponsorship etc.

I wouldn\'t just turn up and do it, I\'m not sure anyone would have the front/cheek to do that. But in honesty, the fuel (in a valver anyway) will cost a fair whack of cash, along with the ferry/chunnel tickets, hotels and all the other costs....that £75 would probably be out of reach for me anyway!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Interesting, and there's no reason to refrain from reasoned debate.

I have discussed this with a couple of people and it would seem we have a decent compromise suggestion because, as you point out it's primarily a road trip.

Here's the suggestion:

Entry fee is reduced to £20 per team. That will cover my costs, which will include setting up the Zygo account and paying for it (something that proved very useful - see http://www.zygocommunications.com ). No reference will be made to helping any charity. However, I will ask for voluntary contributions if people think they want to make one. The charity remains Cancer Research UK.

So that's it. Can't afford the £20 to enter? Then probably shouldn't be contemplating doing it anyway! :lol: :lol:
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Sod it, it's not a suggestion it's what's going to happen.

:D

I would be the first to acknowledge, this is a plan in the early stages. Prompted by three or four people's concerns - and debated here, I have decided to cut entry fee to £20 per team. This is sufficient to cover costs but not allow contribution to any charity. That will be up to the individual teams ...to do so, with a voluntary donation. This is primarily a road trip.

And there will be no cash or prizes for winning the quiz etc. Keep it simple.

And basically 'cos I can't be arsed with trying to please everyone. Like it or lump now, chaps. :lol:

BTW (That isn't the sound of toys hitting the deck, it's simplicity I want).
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Hi all
I think i can speak for all of us who did the BXAGON we did it and yes we raised money for charity.

But as Kitch said he likes driving for fun.

But we did have the greatest amount of fun i think any of us had ever had driving and it was a bonus to do something for charity.

We all probably spent more than we had anticipated but i think we are all as one that the adventure was first and formost the reason for doing it.

We all saw parts of France ( and other countries Green Tiger!!!!!) that we would not have seen any other way and had the most fantastic amazing time.
And Kitch if you can do this one you will never forget it and it will be great and yes you will spend more than you can afford but trust me you will have FUN.

The fact that this time there will be more people will only make it better.

I have a list as long as my arm of thing's to do to the Green Hornet even if in the end it doesn't go and Phil and i do this one in the GTI.

I am saving as we speak every spare penny to be there when this kicks off.
And any of you out there who want to experience the adventure that this is going to be start saving too!.

Just a small vote of thanks to Phil Chidlow for all he has done so far in this endeavour.

Keep your chin up and carry on you are doing well.

Regards Kermit.
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)