The QMG Citroën Classic Challenge 2012

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: The QMG Citroën Classic Challenge 2012

Post by citsncycles »

I'll be up for any other trips too, either suggestion sounds good.
more bhp next time though!
I found 60bhp was plenty - any more is just wasteful :lol:
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Any Excuse to resurrect the memories of this trip - I've just watched the highlights of yesterday's Tour de France stage - they got further up this climb than we did!

Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

After returning from the challenge I printed off some photos and sent them, along with a letter detailing our escapades to the original owner of the valver, this is the letter that I received back from them...
"Dear Mark, thank you so much for your lovely update on the dear old Citroen. My husband was so happy to know it's still cherished and going well. The pictures were great and we' re both really glad it was you who bought it.
It must have been like a home coming for the car doing the European trip as we have done similar holidays in the mountains and to the south coasts of France and Italy for about 40 years, first in a Cortina MK1, then in a Cortina MK4 and finally with the Citroen. The MK1 Cortina and the BX were both husbands pride and joy, but he never got so attached to the second Cortina.
Thanks again for your kindness, it really made my husbands day seeing the lovely pictures and knowing it's still being well looked after.
We wish you many more years of fun and enjoyment with the Citroen.
Kind regards."
Brings a tear to my eye. :)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Thanks for sharing that with us, Mark.

Once circumstances allow I will return to BX ownership, I promise! :)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

mds141 wrote:After returning from the challenge I printed off some photos and sent them, along with a letter detailing our escapades to the original owner of the valver ...
=D> what a lovely gesture.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Caffiend wrote:
mds141 wrote:After returning from the challenge I printed off some photos and sent them, along with a letter detailing our escapades to the original owner of the valver ...
=D> what a lovely gesture.
And what a lovely response from the previous owner. Just goes to show that there are nice people in this world.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

When I first acquired the valver two years ago and after waiting for the DVLA to finally send me a correct V5, I was able to match up the the address in the original documentation that came with the car and the address in the log book. I wrote to the original owner asking for any more documents that they might still have, and two weeks later I received a envelope in the post containing every MOT, in chronological order as well as the original sales invoice from when they purchased the car new in 1989. £12250 in case you were wondering. Apologies to those who've heard me recite this before.:)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Its 12 months next week since this wonderful event happened (seems an awful lot longer), lots of changes for me, a new house, partner, sold the 16TRS which is in good hands, bought and sold a money pit of a 19TRS estate and of course RIP the red shed which got us safetly round the Challenge in comfort but is probably bean cans now.

Sadly George and I dont speak much these days but that's life, hes a busy guy and we havent much in common, also Mr Chidlow isnt around as much as he used to be.

Anyway roll on 2014 as if its anything like last year it will be awesome and thanks to all those who made 2012 a special year and played their part.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Tim, I hope the 2014 experience proves even more of an adventure. The variety in terrain and so on, should make it so. I agree the year has seemed to drag a bit, but that's because for me last year was a real grind work-wise - only now is it starting to get back to anything like normal. A symptom of just how bad it's been is that there has been no way I could support a BX in the family - the 806 is doing sterling work and has proved its worth on many occasions (and having excellent air con will help this summer!). In fact a 220 mile trip back from Shropshire, four up with a load of luggage the Pug bus managed an average of 62mph and 33.5 mpg... not bad at all.

Back O/T there's the FB page ( https://www.facebook.com/CitroenClassic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) to visit which I will use to entice and entertain/inform regarding the 2014 event, not to mention the thread on the BXC. And there you will also find pictures and reminisces of the 2012 CCC. I already have plans for an event in 2016, but I'll not be suggesting that just yet! lol.

Being BX-less does mean I'm posting here much less although I do visit on a daily basis. Which makes me think I should try to get back to owning a BX. Finding a good one might prove harder and certainly more expensive than it used to be, but let's see how this year pans out.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Good to hear from you Phil! trust you are all well.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....