Sept 30th (Sun)
17%

Total votes: 6

Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Rolling Road Day

Post by Kitch »

We\'ve bought a Hoffman rolling road at work and are in the process of digging a trench to put it in before hooking it up with electric and air.

Once it\'s commisioned, we\'re planning to put the word about and offer rolling road day-type affairs to car clubs and forums. It\'s not big news yet, but I thought I\'d get numbers together from various clubs I\'m on to see which ones would be interested.

It\'s measure the power and torque your car is putting out at the wheels, and give you a calculated BHP figure at the flywheel. It\'ll also measure lambda on petrol cars. It\'s good for 550WHP, so should be ok with some BX\'s!

We\'re down in Hampshire right on the south coast, but it\'d be a one-day type thing with a reduced price (usually £30 instead of £50 at most RR places).

It\'s not all about measuring power figures to chat in the pub about.....rolling roads are actually designed to demonstrate how well your engine is performing and highlight any obvious weaknesses. So putting an n/a 1.9D on the rollers isn\'t as stupid as you\'d think, because if you find out it\'s kicking 50bhp, you\'ve got a problem which is probably costing you fuel too!

The rollers are equipped with a fan so strong, it tries to walk off when you turn it on. Once chocked, it replicates the airflow onto the front of the car that you\'d get if you were on the road, so no risk of putting the engine under undue strain.

Plus, it\'s usually a good day out.

If anyone\'s interested, give me a heads up now and if theres enough interest I\'ll put it to the bosses.
Last edited by Kitch on Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

That could be fun - I'd be interested to see what the GSis putting out.

slightly off topic, but I watched Campervan Crisis on the telly last night, where a VW camper was put on a road and got 13bhp!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Yes please :D

I'd really like to bring the BX and 205, but probably have more to gain taking the 205. It feels slightly restricted at the top end...

I remember going to a rolling road day at Northampton motorsport with my Dad when the 16v club was there. Nothing beats hearing a BX 16v at full chat... Even with all that fan roar :lol:
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Agree with that, my BX might be a ropey old French relic but the noise put the VR6 that went on before to shame :lol:

If there isn't enough interest to organise a day, I'm sure we can arrange something for those that do want to do it. The days are such a good laugh though.

Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Count me in.

I was at the Northampton do with the 16V crowd a few years ago, it was fun swapping the 'chips' in the ECU and comparing them back to back.

Would like to check the 406, to compare the output on LPG and petrol.

We can go to a pub afterwards and have a meal and a chat too.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

I'm now re-igniting this possible event. It'll be based in Hampshire (near Gosport) at the workshop I work in.

I can do either a Saturday or a Sunday and can price runs at £20 each (which is basically the least I can charge without getting hauled across the coals).

Order of the day is to strap your car onto the dyno, run it up in 4th gear to see roughly how much power/torque the engine is still producing. It's all a bit of fun, although it's a good way of determining how well (or not) your engine is still running. Contrary to uneducated logic, it doesn't put the engine under levels of stress any higher than you'd experience on the road. It's equivilent to slowing down to 30mph in 4th gear, and then flooring it until the power tails off. Only there's no wind resistance or bumps, and the car is being monitored closely, which in normal road conditions it isn't.

You get a printout like this:

Can make a social day out of it too - lots of nice local pubs/resturants etc.

If you're interested, start making a list here. There's no minimum number required - I'm doing it for a bit of fun (hence why it's so cheap) and can open the doors for even a few people.
Last edited by Kitch on Sat May 05, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Depends on the date as Hampshire is a bit of a hike for me, but definitely interested - thanks for being willing to set it up!
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

What's a 'rolling road'? I thought it was a chocolate biscuit of some kind? :-k
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

Interesting ...I think my pump timing needs some tweaking and I could do a before & after! I see "French car day!! "SIMPLYFRENCH" Beaulieu" is on sun 8th June - and relatively close to you .
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

As you know I am definitely up for it, but preferably not until the GT is OTR, which i'm aiming for early June (for the Simply French day).

Cor, £20 is a bargain! Cheers Kitch.

We could have a GT competition! if Tim and Kitch's dad (who is not arctic steel!) come in their GT's, then best running/most powerful GT owner gets a drink bought for him by the other two?? 8)
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Hi all. Date-wise it wouldn't be until June/July anyway. Connecting it to simply French is an idea, but you probably need the whole day there for museum etc. Dates are very flexible.

saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Kitch wrote:Hi all. Date-wise it wouldn't be until June/July anyway. Connecting it to simply French is an idea, but you probably need the whole day there for museum etc. Dates are very flexible.
So how about day before/after simply french day? Might be easier for people coming long distances if they got a cheap room overnight. I would do that if so.

Just need to find someone to bring my astra... Boyfriend hates it, and he isn't driving the GT so i'll have to hunt around.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

saintjamesy89 wrote:
Kitch wrote:Hi all. Date-wise it wouldn't be until June/July anyway. Connecting it to simply French is an idea, but you probably need the whole day there for museum etc. Dates are very flexible.
So how about day before/after simply french day? Might be easier for people coming long distances if they got a cheap room overnight. I would do that if so.
Good idea and I could do that but the risk is those who can't stay the night can't then justify two return trips. Might be worth working something out though.

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

saintjamesy89 wrote:As you know I am definitely up for it, but preferably not until the GT is OTR, which i'm aiming for early June (for the Simply French day).

Cor, £20 is a bargain! Cheers Kitch.

We could have a GT competition! if Tim and Kitch's dad (who is not arctic steel!) come in their GT's, then best running/most powerful GT owner gets a drink bought for him by the other two?? 8)

Not for me chaps, no intention of blowing my car thanks :wink: theres LOTS of youtube videos of exploding engines to make me cautious. I would be a little careful Tom, you cars been off the road for a long time.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Roverman wrote:... no intention of blowing my car thanks...
Sticking to just polishing then. :lol: :wink:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v