BXAGON CHALLENGE

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I'll be camping wherever possible (although I did briefly consider the idea of borrowing a caravan - just to be different!) but on the times when we'll be in a Formula 1 'hotel', there will be a spare bed (rooms sleep 3) if that helps to cut costs for you Chris.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
chriscarterstevens
BXpert

bxagon

Post by chriscarterstevens »

i have an in built hatrid for caravans but i suppose they serve a purpose.

that 3rd bed will be much appreciated, in fact im quite happy to sleep anywhere dry lol

i feel (and i know this might sound stupid) that doing this on a shoestring would be the best way as it saves money and might even mean i could put a bit of spare cash i didnt spend into the fund for the charity!

gives me a bit of extra motivation. im mad as a hatter i know! lol

chris
Cartman

1985 BX 19 GT
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

BXagon Team Sponsorship.

A reminder that we need to start collecting pledges and donations. It's easy to lose sight of the real reason we are doing this. TO RAISE MONEY for Cancer Research UK.

Even if you haven't been able to commit to participating, please PM me and I would be delighted to send you a Sponsorship sheet to print out and record your pledges and so on upon - no matter how small, each penny counts!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Just a few notes on driving in France for those who haven't done it before, I think this is the best place to put them...this is just from my own personal experience - legal requirements etc are best gained from official sources.

1. Drive on the right :D Well someone may not know!
2. Drivers seem generally more courteous than over here, i.e. you get a lot less 'lane hogging' on multi lane roads. Also less traffic (as a rule) than over here.
3. Signs. The French don't pay much attention to road numbers. Drive down a road and the number can change several times! Made slightly more complicated by the fact that a lot of N roads are being re-designated as D roads, with a different number (eg the N202 now becomes the D6202). Generally (but not always!) the signs will have the name of the town at the end of the road, or a major town along it. So you may be in a tiny village in the south of France and see a sign for Paris, but not for the next town!
4. Services (Aires) are every 10 miles or so along motorways, lots only have picnic areas and toilets (no fuel), some just the former. Usually a (fairly accurate) description before you leave the motorway.
5. Petrol stations in rural areas may not be open on a Sunday, but will often taken a credit card at the pump

That's about as much as I can think of for now, hopefully those who spend a lot of time (or live) in France can add to it.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Yes, the tip about petrol stations on Sunday is a good one. Many are not open 24 hours too.

It is so quick and easy driving huge distances there that you can get caught out.

The crazy road numbering system is not a problem since they invented satnav!

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I've just created a BXagon Facebook Event for the purpose of publicising the event. We may get a few extra teams through this, but I suspect it will be mostly sponsorship rather than people signing up.

The page is here - if you are a Facebook member, sign yourself up and invite all your friends!

Facebook is the only social networking site I'm a member of, but perhaps someone else might like to do the same in Myspace/Bebo etc?
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Fantastic, Stuart. I've e-mailed you with an updated graphic. Also note in the blurb: "...2,500 miles (4000 kms) in around twelve days", should now read eleven days.

This is another route to market, so to speak. Thanks.

Phil
caroline
Confirmed BX'er

Post by caroline »

I'm in the process of creating a BEBO page for BXagon. Will let you know when it's up and running.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Yea, thanks. That's good (seeing as I know FA about Bebo :lol: )

Here's a graphic for you:

And:
caroline
Confirmed BX'er

Post by caroline »

Cheers dears :)

Bebo was a bit of a mystery to me until my 8 year old gave me a withering look that told me volumes. After that I learnt REALLY fast. :oops:
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Yeah, he's good at them. Are you sure he doesn't lie about his age?
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hoping to see a mention of the BXagon in the May edition of Practical Classics... keep your eyes peeled and fingers crossed. If we could get a new team or two out of that publicity it'd be great.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

We're on the Practical Classics site: http://www.practicalclassics.co.uk

I'm hoping we'll get coverage in the magazine itself in a forthcoming issue.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

6 months to go!!!!

I need a show of hands guys, as I have not got too much in the way of commitment yet (huge thanks to those who have already said they'll participate on the Challenge)... SO we NEEEEEED MORE TEAMS!!!!
retrodriver
BXpert

Post by retrodriver »

I deeply wish I could make this but I just dont think it will be viable for me...combined with that fact I doubt my engine will hold out for it lol but more than happy to make a donation nearer the time
Alex

1991 BX 16 TGS 104k miles, FOR SALE
2007 Grande Punto Sporting