Matt H's white Phase 1 16v

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Matt H
1K Away

Matt H's white Phase 1 16v

Post by Matt H »

took a few pics at the weekend, and as you can see, there are a few issues that need dealing with.

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Doesn't appear too bad TBH. It's nearly 20 years old after all. How is the ride? Does the rear creak? The front spheres don't look exactly new, but if they work that's OK. Even that hinge doesn't look bad. As for the brakelight on the spoiler - easy to remove I guess...

On the whole, yes it does need work, but before I got too worried about the cosmetics, I'd be sorting the mechanicals and getting it performing hydraulically and engine-wise properly first. Tackle any rust on those regular BX places... (It's got a Scorpion exhuast back box/tailpipe. Is the rest standard? - Oh, and a craft knife will see the rear bumper aperture tidied up!)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

I know the spheres don't 'look' great, but they are... It rides better than the 14 did, steers better, rolls less... Mechanically, it is spot on.

It is probably one of the tightest BXs I've ever been in... It has just been sitting around for the last 4 years... it's only done 6000 miles since we sold it in 2005. Okay it does sink down at the back very quickly, so something is amiss... but I really can't fault the way it drives.

There is a slight wheelbearing noise, so I haven't been using it much until I get that sorted...

I know this car is going to cost me a lot of money... They always do. But, I wouldn't have bought it if I wasn't prepared to run it properly.
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Oh, and yes... there is an induction kit on it, and just the backbox... the rest is standard.

I've actually got the old airbox in the garage somewhere, so it might be making a return at some point.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I have to say, what a corker. Well done.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Cheers Phil,

It does need a new windscreen before the next MoT, and will probably change the spheres and LHM as a matter of course.

I mean the best thing is... It doesn't rattle, or squeek inside. No clonks or crashes from the suspension... It is (Quite surprisingly) a lot more refined then the 14, and more relaxed on the motorway :o

It even came with a baffled sump and a spare throttle body.
350ci muppet
Confirmed BX'er

Post by 350ci muppet »

i saw this at race retro and i got more excited seeing this that anything else there lol. i love a white bx think they look great.

makes me want a 16v soooooooooo much :(
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Yeah, I was there... Not for long sadly

toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Looks good to me too Matt. That extra brake light is a bit strange. Someone trying to compensate in the era of multiple brake lights ( when did that stupidity start? Mid 90s?)

Is that your country pile in the background there? :D
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Nice car matt, those bits are only small details and im sure you will have them sorted out soon. Has your Dad been borrowing it?
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I am beginning to increasingly like the MK1 16V.

Its such a Q car because it looks so much like the cooking models.

Single extra rear brake lights were a Citroen accessorie, glued to the rear window IIRC.

I think any 'period' brake light is acceptable, the non LED type with a single brake light bulb in them.

Lots were fitted in the 80s- I fitted them in my cars back then.
I found an one at a car boot sale and mounted it on the BX parcel shelf.

It looks like it has been there forever.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
citro-geoff
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Xantia VSX Estate-146K-1996 (The wifes car)
BX TZD Turbo-317K- Awaiting repair/donor car(broken subframe)
BX TZD Turbo-202K-project car ongoing
BX TZD Turbo-212k-One owner car rescued from being scrapped.
2CV Charleston-101K-One owner car awaiting restoration.
ZX Memphis-185K-Wifes daily driver.

Post by citro-geoff »

Hi Matt, I have a spare passenger seat for your car if you want it. I have a complete replacement interior for my Mk2 Phase 1 16v as the drivers seat had gone on mine. I will be changing it when I get back from holiday at the end of April,beginning of May.Let me know.Geoff
1995 ZX Memphis TD Saloon 176k
1997 XANTIA VSX ESTATE-112K(the Wife's!!)
1993 BX TZD Turbo Estate 202k waiting repairs for mot.(Just started to fix it!!)
1985 2CV 100k - waiting full restoration.
talbotsteve
Confirmed BX'er

Post by talbotsteve »

Did you come into the main parking field at Race Retro on the sunday afternoon, if it was you I got a lot of funny looks just after you walked away running round your car taking pictures :lol: , especially from the security guard :twisted: !!!!! I was in a Dark Blue Xantia.....
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Sorry for the late replies everyone... Been a busy month
toddao wrote:Looks good to me too Matt. That extra brake light is a bit strange. Someone trying to compensate in the era of multiple brake lights ( when did that stupidity start? Mid 90s?)

Is that your country pile in the background there?
Yeah the rear light was a bit strange... not any more though 8)

...and no, I don't live there, but I do work there... It's a converted farm building.
Roverman wrote:Nice car matt, those bits are only small details and im sure you will have them sorted out soon. Has your Dad been borrowing it?
Picking up a new pair of doors next weekend, and still on the lookout for a pair of AX GT driving lights.

I did let my dad use it, and I think he'll be on the lookout for one after the SD1 is safely home.
Mike E (uk) wrote:I am beginning to increasingly like the MK1 16V.

Its such a Q car because it looks so much like the cooking models.
I do admit, I love the Q-car appeal of the Phase 1, but I'm still pining after a Phase 2.

Had a lot of fun going up to Silverstone on Friday... really takes people by surprise.

Really get treated like crap on the roads compared to the 14 though... I'm not sure whether it's the colour, or the lack of a phase 2 bumper on the front.
citro-geoff wrote:Hi Matt, I have a spare passenger seat for your car if you want it. I have a complete replacement interior for my Mk2 Phase 1 16v as the drivers seat had gone on mine. I will be changing it when I get back from holiday at the end of April,beginning of May.Let me know.Geoff
Geoff... PM on it's way!
talbotsteve wrote:Did you come into the main parking field at Race Retro on the sunday afternoon, if it was you I got a lot of funny looks just after you walked away running round your car taking pictures Laughing , especially from the security guard Twisted Evil !!!!! I was in a Dark Blue Xantia.....
Yup, that was me... Had a few bits to collect from one of the stands inside, and I couldn't help taking a quick pic.
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

A quick search on eBay for 'Yellow fog lights' revealed these. Okay, so they're off a Renault 5 GT Turbo, but they fit perfectly, and seem to be built a bit better then Citroen/Peugeot ones.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SA:GB:1123

It's not like I'm ever going to use them on the road, but it is nice to know they work.

I've also dug these out of the shed, and am going to replace one or two of the battered ones off the car, and refurb them all.