TB2's 16 Valve (1989)

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
TB2
BXpert

TB2's 16 Valve (1989)

Post by TB2 »

Finally picked up my new baby yesterday :)

So now I have twins!

The Valver is in pretty good shape. I drove it home from Basel roughly 100 kilometers and didn't notice anything significant. It has 250'000 km on the clock but seems to be well maintained. I saw the receits from 2008-2010 and the seller has spent 2500 Swiss francs in this time alone. He sold it to me for 1350 CHF which is a good price imo. Included were another 4 alloys, and a spare front and rear bumper in dark blue. No MOT though, and I think I'm not registering it until summer, when I have the time to investigate everything properly. The paintwork on the bumpers is scratched and the drivers seat has some slight damage on the side. Other then that, it seems to be allright. Everything works. Oh and the spoiler was painted black by the owner, he found it to look better... He also put his signature on it. Ah and it has some special exhaust. Not sure if I like that but the noise is okay and it's like new. It has electrical everything but no air con and was last serviced at the end of November!

What has to be done:
  • Rear arm bearings
  • Speedo needle is vibrating (not sure if this is possible to fix)
  • A bulb on the dash is dark
  • Leak somewhere at the front, seems to be a rubber return pipe coming from the main accumulator or something like that. Will investigate
  • Probably needs new break pads
  • Not sure how much rust it has. Seemed good just by looking under it, but I need to take a proper look. Door hinges and front wings look okay though.
Last edited by TB2 on Sun May 02, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl

1989 TRD "Entreprise" Turbo Diesel
1989 16 Valve
---
Parts needed:
- One black leather headrest.
- FDV overhaul kit (95.669.034)
Please contact me through PN if you have any of this.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Very nice Carl! How did you drive it back without it being road legal - can you get special plates just for this purpose? And did you 'give it some' on the way or are you saving that for the autobahn? ( the Swiss are well known for coming over the border from their extremely tightly regulated, speed-trapped land and flooring it!)
I don't think the black spoiler looks too bad (any chance of a close up of the bloke's signature? :D ) and it does appear to be in an overall clean state. I look forward to seeing it 'in the metal'.
Looks as though they've finished the roadworks down your street too - looks tidy now.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
TB2
BXpert

Post by TB2 »

Todd, I drove it back using the sellers plates. He used it until the day I picked it up. Then, I returned the plates.

I didn't break the speed limit on the highway but I took a detour over some hills and it really goes like hell. Quite a rev'er, didn't expect it to develop most of its power beyond 4000 rpm. Then again, I'm used to my Turbo where 4000 is pretty much the upper limit. ;) I never drove a powerful petrol before.

I added some pictures of the spoiler and engine above.

Tomorrow I'll need to bring my TD to the MOT re-check. I've switched the damp foglights for the ones on the valver, so that failure is fixed, the earthing problem on the indicator I fixed as well. As my welding friend is in canada and as I'm in a pinch needing to fix stuff quickly, I've let a tinner fix the sill and so I paid a whopping 500 francs on that. Now it looks like brand new though, so it seems they at least did a fine job. The only thing I didn't really fix is the FDV leak. I cleaned it up again today and I just hope they'll let it slip. Seriously, what are they expecting?! A replacement from the dealer costs a fortune, one from the scrappers is just as bad and I can't get a hold of a repair kit. And I fixed all the other issues. They just need to let it go, please...
Carl

1989 TRD "Entreprise" Turbo Diesel
1989 16 Valve
---
Parts needed:
- One black leather headrest.
- FDV overhaul kit (95.669.034)
Please contact me through PN if you have any of this.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

That signature is really funny - that must make the car worth €€€s more. Limited editions and all that! Unless you knew it was a signature ( which is quite a bizarre thing to find on a spoiler!) you'd perhaps think it was a scratch. I actually like it - exclusive mate!
Also the engine bay looks very clean - new battery and spheres by the looks of it. It almost looks 'Swiss' :D

Good luck tomorrow with the testing station.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Nice looking car, good luck with your mot. Might be an idea to park it up round the corner, get it on highh & then get a rag on the fdv to mop anything up, then drive it round the corner for a pass :D
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.