Mk1 BX 19RD Estate RHD! A new home

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Ian,

if you want one of the diesel primer pumps, just like the one you showed, i have one zackly the same in its box unused. Cost me a tenner so thats what i would want for it.

Andy
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Oddly, the BX seems to be running a lot better. I don't think it enjoyed the splash (5 litres) of petrol I gave it before Christmas...(or rather, the petrol settled on top of the diesel I imagine). Now it's cleared the unleaded out, it's running much better, albeit still a little flat. Steering is also ok. It judders at tickover when going from lock to lock, but is behaving fine out on the open road.

Am heading to the Midlands to see Roverman on Tuesday. Hope the BX makes it...
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Dollywobbler wrote:
Am heading to the Midlands to see Roverman on Tuesday. Hope the BX makes it...
Im sure it will! Cant wait to see it! :D
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Phew! That was a bit of a manic day. Tried leaving the house this morning, but the door latch froze open! Couldn't shut the door. Did briefly consider gaffer taping the door shut but opted to take my Maverick instead. Which promptly starting misfiring and making horrible brake noises. Attempt two ended in failure as well.

However, the door latch had defrosted by now, so decided to go in the BX after all, having cleared the ice from the INSIDE of the windows... (there was none on the outside!!).

It was slow, it was cold (new 'stat needed) but the BX was actually on pretty good form for the 260 odd miles covered today. I think the RH front caliper might be binding a bit. Doesn't generate loads of heat, but does get warmer than the other side and makes an infuriating squeak!

I managed a sat-nav 75mph downhill at one point, but the engine is still very flat. Won't pull beyond 3000rpm at all. Wondering if it could be the fuelling being turned down at some point? Or just the suspected air leak perhaps...

Thanks for the doors/seats Tim! I look forward to fitting them.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Dollywobbler wrote:I think the RH front caliper might be binding a bit.
Hmmm, that won't help performance....but I reckon it would be more than slightly warm if it was having a significant effect. Hinge pin removing tool is a worthwhile investment, unless you fancy heading up north one day?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

That's what I thought Mat. When the Saab 9000 I had suffered a seized caliper, the brake disc got VERY hot even though I didn't top 30mph in a half mile drive! Seems just enough to make it squeak.

Haven't got the door pin tool, but Tim managed to get the doors off without one, so I'll see how I get on. Won't be happening any time soon I don't think, as the doors all need stripping so all the kit can be swapped over. I've got two blue doors, one beige and one white! All much better than what's currently fitted...
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Dollywobbler wrote: Thanks for the doors/seats Tim! I look forward to fitting them.
My pleasure, glad they are of use, also fabulous to finally see the MK1 Estate in all its battered glory, thanks for the burger, egg and chips! Mad me fart all evening which is always humourous! :oops: :lol:

It looks like this MK1 has a later engine fitted, with the round port style air intake, or at least the head.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Could that be the issue about the performance?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

In theory, that should make it faster!

One other thing. The windscreen washer was bloody hopeless, as they are, on the way there. On the way back, the tube popped off at the base of the wiper arm. As long as I was moving, it worked much better! Very tempting to ditch the useless spray bar and just fit some proper jets. I do get fed up with not being able to see. I do hate how the automated wiper always seems to travel at least one wipe too many as well. Just enough to start smearing again.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Dollywobbler wrote:I think the RH front caliper might be binding a bit. Doesn't generate loads of heat, but does get warmer than the other side and makes an infuriating squeak!.
Don't forget the hand brake operates on the front as well and slight brake bind can also be the HB cable sticking and in need of replacement rather than seized pins.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Aye. Always worth a check. Two cars with brake binding issues to look at in the next few days...

EDIT - just had a thought. What 'stat am I after? It looks like the same housing as the Green Tiger (ie held into the housing with a circlip). What one should it have? Just want to make sure I don't order the wrong one...
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I would say looking at Ian yesterday it has the later type engine/head so i would go for a thermostat for a Mk 2 71bhp engine.

I couldnt say if the two heads are interchangeable but cant imagine the block and pistons would have changed?.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

There's (at least) two different thermostat housings fitted to the 71bhp engines - the (fun!) circlip type and the one just held in by the hose stub. From what I can see the latter type was 1992ish onwards.

Regarding the windscreen washer, I may have thought up a cunning modification whilst on my way to work this morning (also without washer). I'll post up details in the Tech section...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Is the circlip one the larger one I take it?

The back seat has been folded down for some months now, as I've collected a fair amount of stuff courtesy of Andy "Artic-Steel" and Tim. I just lifted up the seat back and it was soaking! And frozen...

Turns out a lot of water has pooled there at some point. Good job I've got a new interior, but I'd better find out where the water's coming from before folding the new seats down... I haven't even dared fit them yet!
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

Both the van and TZi fill with water and as yet I haven't figured out where it comes from. Bloody annoying!
CCC BX Columnist
'89 16v P1
'90 BX GTi 4x4, 16v P2, 19 TZI auto A/C estate
'92 BX 19 TGD (now 17 Turbo D)
'93 BX 19 TXD estate & 19TD van
'93 ZX Volcane TD 3 Door
'71 DS 21 EFi Pallas, '86 Visa GTi ,
'98 Xantia Activa P1
'07 C4 by Loeb
3 x 2CV, 1 x Mehari