Mk1 BX 19RD Estate RHD! A new home

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I went to a car meet once and some Dutch car fans had made a paint studio using a gazebo! However, I'm not sure the Shed is ready for paint yet, so leave your paintbrushes at home please!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Brake caliper has arrived, so I'll have a go at fitting it tomorrow. Anything I should watch out for other than the bleeding technique? (I shall read the manual several times before giving it a go. Sounds like it could be very messy if I get it wrong!).
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

leave your paintbrushes at home please!
I prefer to use a roller anyway :lol:
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Sod. My 14mm spanner snapped trying to undo the brake hose! That job's on hold now as I appear not to have another 14mm spanner.

However, the new tailgate struts are fitted. Good grief they're powerful!
robt
Confirmed BX'er

Post by robt »

Dollywobbler wrote:
However, the new tailgate struts are fitted. Good grief they're powerful!
Where did you them from Ian, or are they the old ones re-gassed? Mine needs some too as I'm getting bored of using a broom handle all the time.

I'm jealous of your door graphics, keep up the good work!
Currently own:

1988 Citroen BX 19RD Estate
1990 Rover Montego GSi auto
1982 miniMetro L
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Got them from a place in Warwick that sells them on Ebay. £24.50 delivered. Not cheap, but the difference is remarkable.
robt
Confirmed BX'er

Post by robt »

Cheers, I've found the seller on ebay so that's one more job sorted.
Currently own:

1988 Citroen BX 19RD Estate
1990 Rover Montego GSi auto
1982 miniMetro L
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

My dad kindly sent me a new 14mm spanner, as he works at John Taylor Fasteners in Barnstaple. Thanks should also go to Royal Mail for delivering it on time!

That meant I could get the brake hose undone. I ignored the Haynes manual and went for my technique of cracking the hose connection and then unbolting the caliper and unscrewing it from the hose. New caliper went straight on, pads back in and success! Binding issue is banished.

Bleeding seemed to go ok, though there's a very slight delay before full braking pressure is meted out, so I might have another go. I only bled the side I'd worked on.

Also pleased to note that the passenger side front window, the one in the new door, seems to behave itself much more now, though there's still a slight tendency for it to tilt forward when raising. At least you can't see past the window when it's raised now! There was a huge gap on its trailing edge.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

There's a definite delay to the brake pedal. More bleeding required! Hopefully on Sunday.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I have several good pairs of tailgate pistons for saloons if anyone needs a set.

Is the BX going on the French trip then?

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Sadly not Mike. Funds just won't allow it. Planning to get to a few UK shows this year though.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

It's good to get some weight in the back from time to time, to get the rear brakes REALLY working.

That's about quarter of a ton of fence post off-cuts. No problem, though I did have to start the engine part way through the loading as the rear suspension dropped and I clouted my head on the tailgate...
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Workhorse! :wink:
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Phew. The BX has a few more miles under its belt. No problems, other than the usual half-arsed power delivery, half-arsed steering assistance and the half-arsed brake response as I still need to re-bleed the front brakes.

Lots of motorway, but she noisily sat at 70-75mph quite merrily, though oil consumption seemed a bit high.

The one concern is that something is sounding a bit bearing-ish - a sort of heavy whir when the engine is revved. Could be alternator bearings. I hope it is, as otherwise, it must be cambelt/water pump related. It's definitely on that side, but not very loud - I've just got sensitive ears!

Once off the motorway, this car is a real joy, despite its issues. It's really comfortable at 60mph and handles tidily, so you don't have to lose too much precious momentum. Around town, it's horrific due to no first gear synchromesh (it seems very difficult to double-declutch around as well) and knackered engine mounts.

Now have another door to fit (thanks Tim!) and lots of BX spares from spanners (thanks Jon!). Mind you, a lot of the stuff is Mk2 so I might be listing it for sale before long. Also got a full set of workshop manuals from Jon and I'm not sure I actually want them.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

It would appear the BX door stripe on the MK1 in the origional Sue Donym thread is different to yours Ian

1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!