Earl is back!! (1984 Citroen BX 16 TRS mk 1)

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Indeed, "same here from my two" 8)

You need a proper back box though, that ones nasty and looks like its been cut short! :shock:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
PhilGreaves
BXpert
My Cars: CCC X**tia Columnist!! forgive me for I was led astray..

1984 Citroen BX 16TRS restored and now with fully functional power steering..!
1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD SX (Jan 1994, no airbags but antisink fitted)

Post by PhilGreaves »

Well as planned went back to the garage today. Not entirely as planned for due to four delays: it started on the 9th time :shock: 1 st delay. I was getting seriously worrried about burning the starter out, and now seriously reconsidering sorning it in October.

Anyway when it got going my dad backed it out of the garage (after stalling it once haha :lol: you you really can't move it on clutch/torque alone..you always need gas/accelerator, though admitadely less than before carb rebuild/removal of lpg). I looked at the fuel gauge and it clearly showed 0 (strange i thought as it had £30 worth when delivered to me) so off we went to the garage...2nd delay.

On the way to the garage it cut out (must've been angry about being woken up? :lol: :roll: ) 3rd delay. It also did this on perhaps the most dangerous position possible.

After filling up the gauge still showed 0...then flickered to just over half then back to 0..then etc eventually it settled on just over half way...

So after getting some food and the map book we finally set off to the garage...joining the ring road, the motorways etc until we were nearly there..and you wont believe this so i photographed it: delay number 4....

road closed, literally as we got there due to a fallen telegraph post and a risk of fire...so we had to go around the back way via a place called "thongsbridge" (no seriously)

When we finally got to GMVS we were met by..erm..ample parking..

Image (hardly ever see berlingo campers. though of course rarer still are parisian saviem autobuses)

anway after my dad moved his car (white audi coupe in above shot) we ventured further in and parked inside....

As you can see that h van is still suspended from the roof- now joined by a 2cv side and of course Graham's own Type 23 lorry (it's been to rallys and on the stand at the NEC classics show)

Here are a few more pics of interesting stuff in the car park...

After a discussion about things to do end result is; bonnet is being replaced (current one has collapsed and doesnt take paint very well anyway-deep gouges and distortions etc), sills are being painted black at my request (although apparently some were like this when new??!), os door mirror is being replaced for an AX one (same apparently except for the lack of rubber surround that always falls off), and the tailgate black spoiler/lip thingy is going to be resprayed- unsure what this will look like though.

I mentioned the fuel guage and he rekons its becuase of the lpg- the float got used to being at the bottom of the tank/got stuck.But he'll keep an eye on it. Cutting out is due to it being carb fed and standing, and not having warmed up...nothing can be done. Clutch itself is ok..but may be spring in pedal box which has gone (clutch pedal rises slower than my foot).

Apparently one of the things i have to do is not leave it standing, as this is partly why it took ages to start today and the cutting out thing. Its only done about 100 miles this year and about 400 previous year...

Dunno about exhaust, was fitted the wrong way apparently, so may have (e?) affected it? Its rusty anyway so i wouldn't worry Tim,oh and the wiper is being changed too.

b.t.w don't i have something to thank you for Tim :?: :!: You never even said...

so there you go yet more in the never ending gallery sage of my bx restoration...yes yes i know not all pics have been of my car but i wanted to keep it all together and didnt want to start a new thread. As to the rest in my defence there appear to be no rules about making your car have thoughts :lol:
regards
Phil & Earl

1984 Citroen BX 16 TRS mk 1 "Earl" restored sept 2011 and now with fully functional power steering..!

CCC X**tia Columnist!! forgive me for I was led astray..
1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD SX (Jan 1994, no airbags but anti-sink fitted)
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

Don't get me wrong, Phil. The photos are great and the car is even better, but I'm trying to look at it from a hotel room in Perpignan using what Premiere Classe laughingly call WiFi (WeeFee) Gratuit that plods along at very slow divided by 10 to the power 12 and it does get rather frustrating to see pics emerge a line at a time. Not only that but I've been reduced to driving an LHD Twingo and I keep selecting 3rd gear intead of 1st and occasionally even trying to change gear using the door handle. It has been rather stressful and I want it to stop.

Tired and Emotional? Moi? Mai non! 8)

PS - Sunny & 27 degrees for the rest of the week. Shame I'm flying home on Wednesday.
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

PhilGreaves wrote: wiper is being changed too.

b.t.w don't i have something to thank you for Tim :?: :!: You never even said...
Erm Phil, I sent you a message asking if I could use some of your pics, and you agreed! :lol:

My pleasure, and well done on getting sills painted black, yes some of the base cars were body coloured but not the "tres riche" models 8)
Last edited by Tim Leech on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

PhilGreaves wrote:I mentioned the fuel guage and he rekons its becuase of the lpg- the float got used to being at the bottom of the tank/got stuck.
LPG always gets blamed for any faults! I suppose it's possible, but equally likely to be from being standing while empty. Or a completely unrelated cause.
Des Smith wrote:Sunny & 27 degrees for the rest of the week. Shame I'm flying home on Wednesday.
You won't believe this, but London is forecastto be only a degree or so cooler!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

mat_fenwick wrote:
Des Smith wrote:Sunny & 27 degrees for the rest of the week. Shame I'm flying home on Wednesday.
You won't believe this, but London is forecastto be only a degree or so cooler!
Le meteo have revised the temperature today up to 28 degrees, but if the UK is having a bit of sun, at least I won't need to break out the winter clothes when I get back!

BTW, the photos loaded straight away and guess it must have been a slow evening on the wifi gratuit. I just spotted the yellow rear VRN on the traction avant. Why not black and silver? it would be legit and sooo much more classy.

8)
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987