My cars – a 16V, CX Ambulance, BX 4x4, Visa GTI etc

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Great to see another 4x4 on the road, it goes to show that is bx'ers do put our money where or mouths are sometimes to keep the rare ones on the road!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
hilarystone
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX 16V, BX Van 16V, Visa GTI, CX Ambulance Turbo diesel, Xsara VTS Phase 1 and 2, Lotus Elan 1970, Clan Crusader, C8 2l petrol, 1982 GSA Pallas, 1974 GS Birotor

Re: My cars – a 16V, CX Ambulance, BX 4x4 when its on the ro

Post by hilarystone »

A couple of pics of my 16V in the Vosges after the last day of the Challenge on my way up to Ghent. It was a great journey until I got stuck in one traffic jam on the Brussels Ring for over an hour! It snowed just before I reached this summit on the D44… The wet roads also showed the need for new tyres which are not as hard.

Hilary Stone

http://www.Hilarystone.com
Period bikes, frames and parts

1985 Citroen CX Ambulance, 1989 Citroen BX 16V, 1987 Citroen Visa GTI, 2008 Citroen C8 2l petrol, Citroen BX Van 16V, Clan Crusader, 1970 Lotus Elan, Citroen Xsaras VTS phase1 and Phase 2, Citroen GSA, GS Birotor
bxzx16v
BXpert

Post by bxzx16v »

Lovely pic , I really do like that 16v

Mark
hilarystone
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX 16V, BX Van 16V, Visa GTI, CX Ambulance Turbo diesel, Xsara VTS Phase 1 and 2, Lotus Elan 1970, Clan Crusader, C8 2l petrol, 1982 GSA Pallas, 1974 GS Birotor

Post by hilarystone »

I thought I'd just share a few photos from the past summer. Almost all of my cars have been regularly used … even the BX 4x4.

The 4x4 at the Simply French day - this was its first decent outing. Its also been pressed into service on occasion to collect bikes and parts too, the latest trip it did like that was up the M5/M6 to Stafford and the trip back following a swiftly driven 911 probably contributed to it burning a valve I think. Andrew Weston had warned me he could not adjust the mixture strength and it was running a bit weak… Ironically I picked up a replacement air flow meter ecu which was thought to be the cause of this at the ICCR a few days before that trip.

The 16V has been used practically continuously since the Classic Challenge and has clocked up another stimulating four thousand miles – this pic was taken one late summer evening on the A4069.

And another pic of the 16V on a really minor road between Llanfoist and Blaenavon which has some stunning views.

Waiting for the tunnel train on the 30th BX Anniversary meet. The 16V has been pretty reliable though it let me and itself down with clutch cable failure in France on this trip.

My Activa has clocked up six thousand miles since January and apart from dumping all its water on one occasion has proved to be an enjoyable, comfortable, fast and refined car … but it does not have the raw spirit of the 16V which is so inspiring.

And onto the latest acquisition, a Visa GTI which is a real gutsy performer which is enormous fun for exploring the narrow little lanes of this part of Wales. This is pictured on the Blaenavon–Pwlldu–Govilon road which has unguarded drops, cliff faces and a poor enough surface to almost rival those seen on the Alaskan Truckers C5 show…
Hilary Stone

1985 Citroen CX Ambulance, 1989 Citroen BX 16V, 1987 Citroen Visa GTI, 2008 Citroen C8 2l petrol, Citroen BX Van 16V, Clan Crusader, 1970 Lotus Elan, Citroen Xsaras VTS phase1 and Phase 2, Citroen GSA, GS Birotor
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: My cars – a 16V, CX Ambulance, BX 4x4, Visa GTI etc

Post by citsncycles »

Spotted the valver today - I was leaving the local chemists after picking up a fresh tablet supply, and Andy Weston was taking it from May Lane back to their workshop. Followed him as far as the motor factors - the Valver and Timex caused a bit of a stir going through town together :lol:

Love the Visa by the way 8)
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

hilarystone wrote: Image

My Activa has clocked up six thousand miles since January and apart from dumping all its water on one occasion has proved to be an enjoyable, comfortable, fast and refined car … but it does not have the raw spirit of the 16V which is so inspiring.
It also doesn't have the right front bumper :P
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Nice chevronned lineup you've got there Hilary. I particularly like this pic and the expansive landscape!

Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Great pics Hilary of some really interesting cars - thanks for posting.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Enjoying the pictures, Hilary. Still envious of the Visa :mrgreen:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Xemes
BXpert

Post by Xemes »

Some very nice cars in such very nice places
I promise next time I take time to escape motorways and visit those wonderful landscape ( at least carno reservoir :wink: )
Are you working for a postcard company Hilary :?: :mrgreen:
=D>
Development must go through simplification
1986 BX 16 RS 9 000 miles bleu romantique
1987 BX 16 TRS automatic white 50 000 miles
hilarystone
BXpert

Post by hilarystone »

Been out for a drive today – the weather was glorious when we started out. I wanted to explore a little road that runs from Beulah on the A483 over the Cambrian mountains to Tregaron on the A485 as well as revisit other favourite little bits of road such as the B4519 through Epynt which has glorious views... The Beulah–Tregaron has a number of double chevron climbs and descents.

Several miles into the Beulah–Tregaron road it had clouded over but the road was glorious

A few miles further on, it had turned to this... We felt sorry for a party of motorcyclists who were understandably nervous in the conditions and had stopped. Eventually as we got to Tregaron the road cleared. On the way back we found another stunning road from Llanfair Clydogau to Ffarmers and onto the A482 – this was an old Roman road and as got just over the top a Kite swooped down just a few feet from the car, minutes later we encountered this wonderful fella:

We should have stopped for more photos as many of the vistas were really stunning. So how about a Welsh weekend maybe three days sometime next year?
Hilary Stone

Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I did the Tregaron to Beulah road in the 2CV earlier this year. I did a stoppie in it at one point! Came belting over a sharp crest with a sharp right hand bend the other side. Hit the brakes just as the rear wheels hit the top of the crest! First time I've had just the back end in the air. Was bloody scary! I did make the bend though...

We had the hail/snow mix here today too, though not for long. I want my BX and its winter tyres back!
mike22861
BXpert

Post by mike22861 »

Great pics never thought id see an Activa and a 4x4 together anywhere but my drive. that has got to be a very rare moment 2 rare cars.
The Activa looks great, it would show the 16v a clean pair of brake lights but just doesnt seem like it's trying at the time they are stunning cars refined, very fast, very underrated
1992 BX 4x4 Gti aircon Silver
1991 BX 19 TGD Red(the Red Baron)
1993 BX 17 TZD Red the new Daily
1986 BX 16 RS Leader (The only 1 left I believe)
2003 Landrover Defender 110 CSW TD5
1985 Landrover Defender 90 4SC County
some other newer Nissans
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

It's a great road - we camped up there when motorbike touring about 10 years ago (before we lived in Wales). I was most surprised to round a corner and come face to face with a tank!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
hilarystone
BXpert

Post by hilarystone »

The Activa looks great, it would show the 16v a clean pair of brake lights but just doesn't seem like it's trying at the time they are stunning cars refined, very fast, very underrated
Whilst I am a great fan of the Activa I think an Activa would have to be on a particular type of road with fast open corners to show the 16v a clean pair of heels and even then the 16v if driven properly ie revved has such a gutsy motor - if you're wanting to exploit its performance on the public road second and third gear are all you need... And it has a lot more traction than the Activa in really tight corners. But the Activa is far more refined and makes a wonderful multipurpose car equally at home on the twisty nadgery or motorway, just a shame about its fuel consumption.

However my 16v is now much improved on the motorway by changing its fifth gear for a Turbo D one; this reduces revs at 70/80mph by about 500 which has more effect than you would think. As a result you do end up dropping it down into fourth quite a bit more often when you want some urge.

However I have been rather taken by the idea of some Activa variants sold on the French market – some of the guys on the French Car Forum have found Activa estates even including a V6 Activa estate which is very appealing to me… And also 16v and TDI versions.

Today we took the AX GTI for a short run to do the Supermarket run but by way of this road… Its a superb piece of road with two tight steep hairpin bends which reminded me of the numerous ones on the Col du Pontis back in May. But the TU3 engine in the AX GTI is no match for the 16V or the 1600 GTI unit in the Visa. Both are far more willing, responsive and inspiring powerplants. The 16v in particular begs to rev and rev and rev… The 1600 GTI is a far revvier engine that the 1900 GTI engine too which seems a little dull by comparison.
Hilary Stone