Todd's '88 16v

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Two steps forward, three back etc..

Fitted the new arm bearings (SKF, now finest Indian kwality) then, because both bleed nipples were sheared on the rear calipers, stripped and re-built the calipers off the wrecker TRD. This took ages.
Bled the rear brakes and started the engine. Once I'd released the pressure on the regulator the arms rose up as intended. Job done.

Then the car started spluttering and lumps of rusty metal started spitting out of the exhaust! Remains of the internals of the totally cactus central silencer I think. Then it stalled and wouldn't start.. probably sucked crap out of the dregs in the tank, blocked exhaust etc.. ordered some new exhaust parts.

Started poking around with a screwdriver at the front end a la TÜV inspector: hole in driver's floor around one of the plastic drain plugs ( are these good for anything?) - sign of a leaking sunroof at some point?
Large hole under our old mate washer bottle.
Wings off : more holes in usual places. Arggghhh!

Holiday weekend = The Long Good Weldathon.

One day I will drive this thing again. One day!

I would post pics but I can't bring myself to capture it in it's ailing state.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

toddao wrote:plastic drain plugs ( are these good for anything?)
The only thing I can see them being any good for is when dipping the bodyshell in coatings during production. Oh, and for letting water leaks out (in?) during later life!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I'm trying to get this finished so I can go and meet some 'enthusiasts' who are tooling around Europe in their old French cars!

However, yesterday revealed a new unexplored region of rust. Just when I thought everything was finished and ready for re-assembly I was cleaning under the LHM tank and discovered quite a big rot patch. After cutting it back I've got a hole the size of a letterbox which I'm going to charge myself €200 to weld up in a few minutes. Has anyone else experienced rot in this area? It's the first time I've see it and it was hidden under years of LHM muck and of course the tank itself.

On the up side I was able to fit two new strut return pipes in a matter of minutes as I finally bought myself a pair of 'Clic' clip pliers - a mere €16 from Westfalia tool company and what a good investment. The amount of time I've wasted fiddling around with those clips with normal pliers!

It's going to be almost 30 degrees here today.. 8)
Todd

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

30 degrees?! That's Fahrenheit obviously :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Todd, do you have a link to the website for "'Clic' clip pliers - a mere €16 from Westfalia tool company" & do they deliver to the uk? If not, could i paypal you the money & you could post one to me please, i've getting fed up not being able to actually do any of these myself :cry:

Cheers
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Phil :
30 degree Celsius = 86 degree Fahrenheit
from the online converter.

It was bloody warm today and I spent my time welding and digging big holes in the garden. No wonder I'm thirsty beers

Matthew, there is a Westfalia Uk branch but they don't have this available. It would be a further €5 to post here then whatever it is to Uk, probably another €5 unless I hand it to one of the roving BXers in Switzerland in a couple of weeks. Otherwise there are versions on Ebay Uk a for around 24 boys.
Todd

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

toddao wrote:No wonder I'm thirsty beers
It's been a balmy 10 degrees C or so here, so what's my excuse then? Just finished the first bottle, after a spot of wood cutting, electrical jiggery pokery and welding. ~wine~

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad