BXs

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
User avatar
Kitch
Over 2k
Posts: 6248
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:36 pm
Location: Fareham, Hants
x 58

Post by Kitch »

frugg wrote:Just the other day this Fiat Punto drove past and this deafening whoosh came from it and after that there was a massive cloud of black smoke.
Thats probably the std wastegate, they're uber loud on those.

Wastegates Fonz.

Dump valves gay.
The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983 16TRS (Sunrise red) - 1987 GTi 16v (Black) - 1989 16 Valve (Venetian red) - 1990 16 Valve (Venetian red)

frugg
BXpert
BXpert
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 8:44 pm

Post by frugg »

Yeah, it was loud - dump valve in garage and probably it will never come out...

User avatar
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!
Posts: 2705
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 5:07 pm
Location: Placing comments on YouTube.

Post by DavidRutherford »

Kitch wrote:
frugg wrote:Just the other day this Fiat Punto drove past and this deafening whoosh came from it and after that there was a massive cloud of black smoke.
Thats probably the std wastegate, they're uber loud on those.

Wastegates Fonz.

Dump valves gay.
The massive plume of black smoke would suggest that it might have been a "to atmosphere" valve, rather than the Puno's standard recirculating one. (which is indeed rather loud!)

The black smoke is caused because the air flow meter is still measuring the volume of air being drawn in, which includes the air that is being dumped back to atmosphere, and so the injection system is injecting for air that isn't in the cylinders. Release-to-atmosphere dump valves are simply not compatible with airflow-metered fuel injection.

And they're Ghey.
this might be a signature

User avatar
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!
Posts: 2705
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 5:07 pm
Location: Placing comments on YouTube.

Post by DavidRutherford »

erm...
firstly, frugg wrote:Just bought a Boost controller and an open to air blow of valve
shortly thereafter, frugg wrote:I am not a fan of them but when i bought the second Maikonics kit it came with it
:?:
this might be a signature

frugg
BXpert
BXpert
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 8:44 pm

Post by frugg »

DavidRutherford wrote:erm...
firstly, frugg wrote:Just bought a Boost controller and an open to air blow of valve
shortly thereafter, frugg wrote:I am not a fan of them but when i bought the second Maikonics kit it came with it
:?:
A misunderstanding:

I have just bought another maikonics kit. With it, it came with a boost controller and open to air blow off valve.
firstly, frugg wrote:Just bought a Boost controller and an open to air blow of valve
After this i should have wrote 'that came with the maikonics i have just bought'

Sorry, it was a rather large Typo error - ](*,) :oops:

Tourist
BXpert
BXpert
Posts: 717
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Vento GL

Post by Tourist »

MULLEY wrote:I'd love a series 2 diesel turbo in metalic blue, anyone got one lying about :lol:
I've seen one, not sure if it's metallic, and judging by the little scoop on the bonnet it looks like a TD. I don't think it's for sale though, maybe I can ask for you next time I see it :) but that's not often!

User avatar
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!
Posts: 2705
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 5:07 pm
Location: Placing comments on YouTube.

Post by DavidRutherford »

frugg wrote: it was a rather large Typo error
Was just wondering...

Tourist wrote: judging by the little scoop on the bonnet it looks like a TD
That's the air intake for the cabin, nothing to do with the engine.

Other than the badge, there's nothing to tell you what engine a CX has in it without lifting the bonnet.

Granted, you could do an RAC registration check to find the fuel type and engine cc, but you know what I mean.
this might be a signature

SamWise
BXpert
BXpert
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:48 am

Post by SamWise »

jonathan_dyane wrote:
BX Bandit wrote: Would you have a CX or XM and why? I'd say XM only because I know sweet FA about the CX! For French-ness though....CX!
I'd happily have either, although I have to say the CX does have a great deal of rust potential, but then the XM has electrickery galore that just loves to die... I would quite fancy a series 1 XM diesel particularly, but couldn't justify smoking round in such a big car. BX wins...
Yer 2.1 TD XM gets almost as good mileage as a TD BX. Mine regularly returns 55 mpg on long motorway runs where the BX might get 60. They do have lots of CEF, but really, you need to own one.
1966 Triumph Herald convertible with big valve twin carb Spitfire head

1973 Bedford Panorama Elite II Bus

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

1992 Citroen AX Echo 1.4D

User avatar
jonathan_dyane
BXpert
BXpert
Posts: 975
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:15 pm
Location: Liverpool

Post by jonathan_dyane »

SamWise wrote:
jonathan_dyane wrote:
BX Bandit wrote: Would you have a CX or XM and why? I'd say XM only because I know sweet FA about the CX! For French-ness though....CX!
I'd happily have either, although I have to say the CX does have a great deal of rust potential, but then the XM has electrickery galore that just loves to die... I would quite fancy a series 1 XM diesel particularly, but couldn't justify smoking round in such a big car. BX wins...
Yer 2.1 TD XM gets almost as good mileage as a TD BX. Mine regularly returns 55 mpg on long motorway runs where the BX might get 60. They do have lots of CEF, but really, you need to own one.
One day I shall, but not just yet! God knows how many mpg I would get out of a XM; in the last week I managed a record low of 33mpg out of the BX due to a commute comprising heavy traffic then hoofing it down the motorway because I didn't get up early enough... In all fairness, I do suspect my injectors could do with looking at, but this is terrible even for me!
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski

User avatar
MULLEY
Over 2k
Posts: 8406
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:10 pm
Location: Derbyshire
x 8

Post by MULLEY »

Thats lower than what i've had out of mine, nearly ran out of fuel as the low fuel warning light didnt work :o filled up with 65.5litres of derv, tank holds 66litres, no wonder it coughed :lol:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.

SamWise
BXpert
BXpert
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:48 am

Post by SamWise »

My XM is more pleasant to drive in traffic than my BX, because it has more low down torque, though it'll be interesting to see if fixing the accelerator on the BX influences that! You'd likely get the same sort of consumption in the XM. Mine seriously doesn't use much fuel however it's driven. Having the AX diesel DID make it seem thirsty though - that thing would get 75 mpg......
1966 Triumph Herald convertible with big valve twin carb Spitfire head

1973 Bedford Panorama Elite II Bus

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

1992 Citroen AX Echo 1.4D