Team Green Tiger - BX19TGD - Back on the road

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Dollywobbler wrote:Poor sibling! As mine is ex-Cowies, very likely they were on the same fleet.
Ah yes cowies leasing, a name from the 1990s! dont you fancy having his and hers for the wife?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I've just been rummaging through the history on this car. There's lots of it! I've actually got the history from 1991 when the car was new right through to this year, with tax discs back to 2002 as well.

There are some slight question marks over the exact mileage though - it snapped its speedo cable back at 13,000 miles (ah, what quality eh?)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

156,000 miles notched up. 320 miles covered in two days, including circumnavigating the M25. Lots of niggles building up, including knocking ARB link, bit of play in a TRE, clutch judder (it was REALLY bad first thing this morning, then cleared up a bit), lazy starter motor (can't guarantee it'll start after a long run at the mo!) and a hideous squeak from the back somewhere. I fear that's kicked in after I changed the interior...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Haven't been using the BX that much lately but I'm not convinced by the 16v interior I've semi-fitted. The driver's seat just doesn't seem as comfortable as I remember, so I may go back to the grey tweed. Only thing I do like about the interior is the one-shot window on the driver's side!

So, may have a very tidy 16v interior up for grabs (including all plastic parts, rear seat, bolsters etc but not the main dash assembly) if anyone's interested.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

I might well be interested in that interior Ian.

I guess i could have mentioned that yesterday.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Ah, never mind. You know where I am and I haven't got around to removing the bits I have fitted yet! Clearing the garage is becoming rather urgent though with the house on the market...

Came in the BX today. They really are good. Have been missing mine while I've been hurting around Europe in the 2CV. Must get the ARB links done though. Sounds horrible! Starter motor replacement should also occur at some point, before it leaves me stranded somewhere...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

This car is immensely good. Spent two pleasant days hacking about the Welsh countryside trying to find our new home. We covered about 600 miles in two days and the BX proved itself to be utterly brilliant. Great for the motorway section and great for the twisty bits too - controversially, I reckon the very best engine for a BX is the 1.9 diesel. No turbo lag and a very useable wall of torque. Keep the revs at around 3000rpm and progress can be surprisingly swift.

Last week, we discovered it needs a pair of wishbone bushes - any idea on the best place to find some? Very clunky - perhaps it wasn't the ARB link after all...
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Try e-bay, there were some recently being sold for a resonable price, failing that then surely there must be some motor factors where these can be purchased from, or citroen themselves if you're feeling lush :lol: All the best with the search, i tend to buy as many spares when i don't need them when i see things cheap, to hopefully avoid having to pay big bucks for something that shouldn't really cost that much in reality.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks Mulley. My local mechanic tried the local factors, but they couldn't supply - a worrying sign perhaps. There's someone offering a very cheap rear bush for the wishbone on Ebay - have asked if they've also got the front one as both are shot.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Complete wishbones with bushes can be had............

Euro car parts website...........
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Citro ... and-Joints

im assuming the suspension arms listed are wishbones
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks. My mechanic's got an account with them so he'll give them a try. He'd not tried them because he got a quote from them for the starter motor and it scared him off!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

New wishbone was procured and fitted. Did 600 miles in the BX last weekend, so as I've been complaining about the ARB links for about 5000 miles, I thought I'd better get them changed.

But it's my tame mechanic doing the work. He's already had one apart, so how easy will the other one be to get off?
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

A sign of how many miles this car does is the fact that in February, it was treated to a service. The previous one was done at 144k in October, just before the BXagon and it had already slipped past the 6000 mile interval and reached 152k by Feb.

And I've done it again! Having packed the service history as we prepare for a house move, I've called my garage and discovered that the BX hasn't been serviced since Feb, and it clocked up 159,000 today.

Problem is, not sure when I'll be able to get the service done - but maybe I should find time next week.

As a short list, I'm thinking of doing it DIY and carrying out the following:

New oil and filter
New fuel filter
New air filter.

Um, anything else I should bear in mind? Does need a rear arm bearing but that's going to have to wait. Brakes all seem fine, though I might have a look at the rears as they're a tad graunchy (which I suspect is more to do with rust than wear as they were fine in Feb).
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Oil and filter changed. Not a lot else needed so not a lot else done!

Car has since made one return trip from our existing house to our new house in Wales, and this weekend, makes the move a permanent one in company with my CX.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Can I come too?