Scarecrow's 14TGE

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I took over the reins on Oscar's old TZD (Swampy) today. I've only driven it a foot as it's still on a Sorn - so I'm chomping at the bit to go for a spin but melatonin has taken over my brain so I'll wait until all the documents are sorted.

I'll put up some pictures tomorrow after I've cleaned it up a bit :) (and I've found out where to disconnect the umbilical chord that's still attached to Oscar and Lena :cry: )

My first TZD - and it's taken an (EDIT: "a") looooong time to come to pass.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Has Groliffe got a reprieve then, or is it still for the "chop"? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Welcome to the compression ignition club Steve :-)
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

He's only looking after it, right? I very nearly changed my mind. If I hadn't already bought the ZX....
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

The car will be here for a refresher Oscar, should you want it! And we'll be driving to Norwich in it next weekend :wink:

I might have to wait until Monday to give it a polish as I have a job to do tomorrow :( I like cleaning them up for the first time - it's like the first time you sleep with a new girlfriend. I'll give it a good scrub, top and bottom, give all the nooks and crannies a good old probing with my hose then I'll give it a good old going over inside. Finally, I'll top it up with fluids.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Remember, it takes a while to get up, but it never fails, and once it's up it'll keep going for ever and give you lots of pleasure. Sure it's not the biggest, but it's how you use it, right?
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Oh, and plenty of preheating too
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

I very nearly changed my mind.
and
Steve I'll buy it for you and you give me Swampy back....

No, wait....

Oh, God, I need a few moments by myself....
Of all the indecisive people I know - Oscar - you are definitely my favourite :-)
I'm inspired by Richard's work to have a go a spraying the bumpers.
Well, that's my dream list of jobs to get done over the winter.
Yes - resprayed bumpers do make a difference - see my current avatar ! I'd tend to leave it 'till the summer though unless you have somewhere really nice and dry.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

That's a good point, Brian. I think the adage goes, get it running right, then get it looking right.

Oscar, the TZD can be reclaimed by yourself if you do it before I insure and tax it. I plan on taking out the insurance this evening... Have you paid for the ZX?

I guess I am only going to be a temporary custodian anyway, until my 14 is done - so in six months time the car could be yours again, if you still want it then. Don't be shocked if the speedlines find themselves refurbished and swapped onto my 14 though! You're lucky the top of the back seat has a bit of UV fading as otherwise the interior might have migrated too :oops:
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Oscar and I delved into deepest, darkest Norfolk today. The TZD did there and back on half a tank - just over 350 miles.

Oscar got stopped by the Police on the way home (in his new ZX) and I, following behind in the tzd, pulled in behind. One of the coppers only asked Oscar if the 'lady' behind was with him :!: :!: I ain't no lady :wink: I suppose I will have to give in and PAY for a haircut.

No webbed hands were observed (another lie, just like with Father Christmas)

The TZD performed well. A couple of minorish issues showed themselves, but hopefully nothing other than what a bit of vaseline and some spanner work can't cure.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

It's amazing how much I prefer the tzd to the 14 :? The fuel economy is a major factor, but power steering, turbo and upholstery make a difference too.

The 14 looks fantastic though, has done far fewer miles but is petrol and I definitely prefer diesel.

Should I spend money on the tzd, or use it to get the 14 perfect, or sell the 14 whilst just keeping the tzd roadworthy, and hope a really nice tzd turns up (getting rare now)??? That's a right, proper mucking fuddle.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Good question! How about: sell the 14, use some of the money to keep the TZD roadworthy, wait until another TZD comes along, sell Swampy back to Oscar when Lena lets him and use that cash to buy the new TZD? Have you done the ball joints yet? :P In my view, you have to enjoy a car to spend lots of time and money on it, otherwise you tend to begrudge it and the temptation is to cut corners. So whenever you spend something on the 14, could you potentially see yourself thinking "It's still not as good as the TZD"?
There were more turbo diesels sold than any other engine, so with no desperate rush to get one you should hopefully get lucky. Prices seem to be creeping up on anything like eBay where there is a wide audience - I reckon the best bet is in the local ads (not necessarily in your area, you can usually search online) from someone who views it an 'just an old car'. Downside is it may have been (not) maintained as such...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Ohhhhh sell the 14 - I can feel a panic attack coming on....

It does make sense, though the 14 owes me about eight hundred quid! It is in fantastic condition apart from some tarting up bits. Yes, feck it, sell it and keep searching for the perfect tzd (or possibly XM :oops: )

The ball joints and drop links will be done this week - the sound the car makes reminds of an old tuk-tuk that came rattling out of an old-town Dehli night. I'd laughingly said it sounded like a ghost as it was a good minute after we'd first heard it before it manifested - completely overloaded with butchered animal parts, mainly bones, and a grim-reaper figure under a blanket driving it.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I'd just like to say how smooth everything feels in Swampy - it's really a credit to the long hours of fettling by Oscar. :-reindeer