Mickys blogalog

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

If the heater tap is bypassed, you would (should?) get full coolant flow through the heater at all times, with no way of turning the heat down - the opposite of what you're getting! Does your blower motor work? I'm starting to think the matrix must be blocked, assuming the bypass is still present.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

/\ yes to that.

If you read the first receipt from "triple A" it basically says "we arsed about with the heater matrix and the tap, and eventually only replaced the tap, with a second-hand tap, but we did put a new O ring in". It also says that they fitted that wonderful fuel pump at the same time. 8 hours labour for the pump and matrix/tap arsing !!

Then on the second receipt it says "we arsed about with the heater tap a bit more, then we changed the head". 14 hours labour that time.

Triple A must mean triple arses.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

SU electric petrol pump. Reminds me of Moggy Minor days! (And cleaning of it's points!)
Doesn't it just :-) and cleaning the points... and cleaning the points.. and cleaning the points etc. Vibrations from the running engine often kept the pump contacts working but it could easily fail before starting - the trick then was to dive under the bonnet with a big spanner looking for all the world as though you were about to do something technical - then bash the fuel pump with the spanner until the little begger started pumping.

TBH that fuel pump doesn't look to me as if it was a new part in 2009 - it looks a bit older than that. Southern Carburettors keep spares stock for SU pumps if it does give any trouble. Some of the pipework looks a bit old as well and possibly due for replacement.

It looks pretty tidy Mick - well worth all the effort :-)
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

mat_fenwick wrote:If the heater tap is bypassed, you would (should?) get full coolant flow through the heater at all times, with no way of turning the heat down - the opposite of what you're getting! Does your blower motor work? I'm starting to think the matrix must be blocked, assuming the bypass is still present.
well they did this

then this

and its only done 2,500 miles since the first reciept

blower seems fine.

Hopefully I have a big strong man coming a calling on Sunday and he said he may have time to delve amongst my deepest bits to get me all warmed up :lol:
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

/\ as I said, it says "we arsed about with the heater matrix and the tap, and eventually only replaced the tap, with a second-hand tap, but we did put a new O ring in".

They didn't flush the matrix when it was out, they assumed that the entire fault was with the tap, and when they put a second-hand tap in, they stil had problems. The pipes in one of your pics connect drirectly to the tap, the tap connects to the matrix. If you stick your head up where the steering column clamps onto the rack/pinion you can see the tap. They never did bypass the tap, no-one ever would. You can remove those pipes in your pic and connect them together or block them, but you cannot bypass the tap and connect them direct to the matrix.

It's more usual for the matrix to leak, which has happened to me on 2 of my previous BX's. You then have to remove the steering column and the tap, to pull the matrix out and replace it. I have seen many threads in this forum about heater matrix problems.

Either, they buggered the second-hand tap that they fitted as well as breaking the original tap when they tried to get that out, or, the heater matrix is blocked (and always was).
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

bugger , overtook a lorry on the A5 last thursday and have just got a speeding notice through for doing 77 in a 60, must have been just as I pulled back in from the overtake, no excuses but a pain in the arse , 2mph too fast to be allowed to go on a speed awareness course so reckon I may get a nasty fine
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

/\ ask for the pictures

you may think it will get nowhere, but (i) it delays the time before you have to notify your insurance company (although any extra premium will usually run from the date of the offence) (ii) there is a remote possibility that they are swamped by requests for pictures and lose your request (and until you get the pics you do not have to notify who was driving). You will also then know where the van was (assumig it was a van).

btw send the letter recorded delivery (which also counts as proof of posting). The NIP you have received should say how you request the pics.
Last edited by BX Meteor on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

As an aside: You might be told that temporary (expedient) speedlimit exceeding is ok...

Sadly, although it seems to make sense to be able to exceed the speedlimit to overtake (within reason) so long as you return to the limit asap after completing the manoeuver, the law basically says if you can’t overtake efficiently while staying within the legal speed limit, then you shouldn’t be overtaking. So, although you might hear some argue that the less time you spend on the ‘wrong side of the road’, the better, there is no dispensation in law exists for temporarily exceeding the limit.

Bummer! :cry:
Last edited by Philip Chidlow on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

i know, funny how I do two years driving 600 miles a week in the golf and get nothing and then three weeks of just over 300 miles a week in the BX and I get this lol, I reckon some young copper took the picture because he had never seen a BX before.
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

well I got a £60 fine and 3 points for the speeding but on a plus note the strut hasn't misbehaved since Jay uncrossed the return pipe last Sunday, Vanny repaired the heater with a replacement tap on Friday and the golf was collected by its new owner today.( he intends to use it as the base for a show car)

always look on the bright side of life de dum de dum :lol:
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

Gary
BXpert

Post by Gary »

Susan Donym wrote: Vanny repaired the heater with a replacement tap on Friday
I bet it feels good not having to drive around with 5 layers of clothes on :lol:
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

car still behaving, new strut return pipe fitted and no leaks since, this week I am going to fit the new seatbelt socket and mudflap clips, refit the stereo and maybe get around to replacing the dash bulbs that dont work then give it a good wash and hoover.
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

bx petrol auto saloon
BXpert
My Cars: Citroens SAABs and Vauxhalls

Micky,s blogalog.

Post by bx petrol auto saloon »

Dear Susan.
So sorry to hear about your ticket Susan :roll:
The last time I got stopped by the police was in 1992 at 11.30pm,
with a traffic car behind me, and a policeman stepping in front of me
with a laser gun too. I thought at that time of night was a tad excess-
ive :!: and I have had a clean licence ever since though.
My daughter got stopped 2 years ago doing 41 in a 30 where
there were no 30 mile a hour signs, the only way you are supposed to
know it is 30 limit, is the streetlights on both sides of the road.
Glad to hear though that you have got the heater sorted out too.
having a good heater will be just the " TICKET " :roll: :wink:
All The Best Susan.
Vince.
Passion Hydropneumatic Citroen,s

Cars;- 1993 White Citroen BX 1.6 TXi petrol
saloon auto with air-con & ABS.
47,594 Miles from new.
Owned for 3 years sorned.
1988 Silver SAAB 900i 2.0 8v F/lift,
saloon 5sp with 3 spoke Ronals,
69,000 Miles from new.
Owned for 15 years T & T.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

seatbelt socket and stereo now done ,
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Oooooooooooooooh, look at you! Show off! :wink:

:D
I have zero patience for your tedium.