Slagtrooper's BX 19 GTi 1993

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Re: Slagtrooper's BX 19 GTi 1993

Post by Slagtrooper »

RobC, you nailed it. So it's the oil temp sensor, its only one wire.
Even the dashboard gauge is not working, i think when i rebuild it, it will work again.

Thanks!
Citroën BX GTi 1993
. XU9JAZ engine, ZF 4HP14 Automatic gearbox
. Leather Seats, Air Conditioner, electric mirrors, windows and sunroof
. "16V type" Speedline Rims, "Ducktail" spoiler and rear vents
ORGA 5219 (February 22, 1991) - Made in Uruguay

Hot steamy night alone, I wait for you ? Cold brittle morning alone and I cry for you ? And when you finally call ? You cloak your moves in the shadows ???
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

Ideas for entertaining myself:

Still don't got an answer for what could i do for the 4HP14 that can't go reverse.
So, i was searching the entire forum and the web about manual boxes swaps and cable or rods compatibility.

Found that PSA have some gearboxes for higher models that can handle more torque, but i don't know if it's plug and play. Example: ML5. Foun that they are heavy and big, but i think they're ligter than a HP14 by 10 Kg reading charts in other forums.

Still don't know too what models use the "MCM" type of gearbox. Found the names here: http://www.peugeot-citroen-moteurs.fr/e ... xes/manual" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BE3 is different from BE3R? I can find them in ZX Volcane models, for example?

All this questions is because i am thinking about getting rid of the HP14 if the repair turns expensive. And a sporty car demands manual gearbox, high revs, that kind of things...

Ps.: Someone already installed an Eaton M45 in a XU9? :D (Stop it, Bruno - First, try to fix the car)
Daydreamin', daydreamin'...
Citroën BX GTi 1993

Hot steamy night alone, I wait for you ? Cold brittle morning alone and I cry for you ? And when you finally call ? You cloak your moves in the shadows ???
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

Hello, everyone, it's been a while.

Now 2014 begins here in Brazil, as we here says "The country only starts after Carnival".
[And i think 2014 won't begin at all; We have world cup in the middle of the year and elections in october.]

About the BX.

Yes, i'm stuck. Still don't know if i swap the ZF for the BE3 or try to repair it.

I can find the flywheel, manual console from a 16 soup, shifter and BE3. I think i will have a hard time trying to find the linkages. Tried to calculate the necessary budget to do a full repair at the autobox and got obviously frightened.

Please, what can i do? [-o<
Citroën BX GTi 1993

David
BXpert

Post by David »

Hi,
The auto box went in my car & I put a manual one in it (although I put a complete 4x4 system in as well). To go ahead with it you need:
- A Gearbox. (you might be able to get one off a different car, ZX, Peugeot 205/405 etc.
- Gear linkages & stick. (these have to be out of a bx, I haven't found any others the same).
- Pedal box
- Clutch cable (get your gearbox first so you know what type you need)
- Flywheel
- Clutch
- Wires from the reversing lights plug (if you cut them off the donor car, you can crimp connectors to these for your existing wires).

When I did mine the drive shafts were also changed because of the different drive system, but you might not need to. You should be able to use your existing speedo cable.
The centre console is the same, you just need the plastic around the gear stick, that the rubber attaches to.

Hope that helps.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

June 24th, 6 days left to my vacation - I'm anxious to post more news here and i will as money and specially TIME comes next week :D

Thank you David, this was really helpful. So, if the autobox fails, converting to manual is my Plan B:

Checklist:
- A Gearbox.
Found in a bargain, almost given to me, but need some superficial rust treatment. Came from a Pug 405. Costs R$ 200 = £ 52.9332. Seller is the same guy that sold the BX to me. He stored the part for me
- Gear linkages & stick.
- Pedal box
Stick and Pedal Box - My friend have one, easy to find. Gear Linkages will be very difficult, as i found only one scrap bx at the moment
- Clutch cable
Will need to buy brand new
- Flywheel
Comes with the gearbox
- Clutch
Will need a new one anyway
- Wires from the reversing lights plug
Think that it's gonna be the DIY way.

BUT...

Reading and reading and...Reading this forum, Aussiefrogs, French Car Forum and even Yaronet (with google translate :lol: ), i will try first changing the oil.
Cheaper and with some chance to something go right. Soaked the engine dipstick on it and the oil wasnt too dark. The smell wasn't too burned. I found the former owner on the net and e-mailed him. He said the main problem with the car was on hydraulics. The car was in his garage for one year. As he didn't know how to do himself, he tried the local Citroen "stealer", was charged obviously with a ridiculous price and at last, he selled the car. So, the reverse gear wasn't broken. It only needs an oil change. (hope that works)
Still haven't done the DIY dipstick, i will on next week. It's really impossible to find one here, it simply needs to be done in the DIY way using the measures i obtained.
Citroën BX GTi 1993

Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

It's the annoying brazilian again! :lol:

List of parts i got recently:

. 3L Dexron II ATF Oil
. Thermostat at 82º
. Thermostat housing cover
. 4HP14 filter
. 4HP14 pan gasket
. Dipstick for making the autobox one.

Aaaand i got a new problem:

Engine's dipstick has no knob for pulling. Is like that:

As you see, it's difficult to know if tke knob got broken or is it's real size.

The "knobless" one have:

64,5 cm toe to toe.
59 cm toe to 1st marking.
2,2 cm between marks.

And the new, with the yellow knob, have the number 117.418.
Don't Know if it's the same size of 117.279 (As says in e-bay). I couldn't find the latter here.

The new stick have:

66,6 cm from toe to end of the knob,
61,7 cm from 1st marking to end of the knob
1,45 cm between marks

My idea is making the autobox dipstick with the old one (knobless) and engine stays with the new one, is this a good idea, friends?

I'm thinking about importing both dipsticks, this simple things are becoming a real PITA.
Citroën BX GTi 1993

rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

You will need the flywheel bolts if you are converting to manual, the auto flywheel bolts are shorter, you will also need the small stud (ball pin pivot) which screws into to top of the steering rack, this holds part of the manual gear linkage, is not fitted to auto's but the threaded hole is there. I did this conversion myself, its fairly straightforward, driveshafts are the same manual/auto, prob best to fit new driveshaft seals too, you will have to bypass the auto gearbox lockout/inhibitor switch as well by joining the wires.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

If my autobox fails after the oil change, now i know whom i have to ask advice :)
Citroën BX GTi 1993

demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

The oil change takes time as not all the oil drains in one go.
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

Yes, as the Dex II oil is cheap here, i will do monthly changes.
Instead of buying in every change 3 cans of 1 liter each, i will purchase 20 liters in one large can. Cheaper and practical.
Read last week in a french forum that the almost perfect change (99~100%) will be in the 11th one, but in 5th time, most of the old oil will be gone.
Citroën BX GTi 1993

Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

Lesson 1: Never underestimate the OEM dealers.

Dozens of phone calls later, found the autobox dipstick number. Gone to the local Citroën dealer to make the orders with the two numbers in hands (Autobox and engine dip's)

Engine 117279, Autobox 226634. Engine stick is still available, but had to make an order and wait to come. The other is no longer available.

BUT...The seller made a search in their system and found one in a city far from here. Obviously made an order too and it came first!
Today i ran to the dealer and for my surprise, the cost was ridiculous. R$ 14,81, something like 3,91 £!!! New, immaculated, OEM part!!

And the autobox dipstick's story ends here.
Citroën BX GTi 1993

Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

Some folks tried to sell me used parts at R$ 80 (21,16£), R$ 100 (26,45£), even R$ 185,00!!!(48,94£!!!)
Citroën BX GTi 1993

electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

You did well to find the parts - excellent prices too. Doing a search for stock with other dealers is a Citroën standard - something they all should do as a matter of course. I needeed a part and phone my local dealer one Friday lunchtime - he found just one part on the system but at the other end of the country and gave me the phone number. I phoned the other dealer and ordered the part - it arrived at 8:30 the following day!
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

Tried to remove the lower engine mount for changing the octopus using the rmattila tutorial: Found the rubber mount destroyed! Ooooh boy!
Already ordered one from Mercado Livre (like e-bay), where i find most parts. Brand is "Original Birth". At least the car is becoming more reliable.
Citroën BX GTi 1993

Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

I tried to made a tool for removing the lower engine mount, but it isn't perfect.

Is two "cups" made of aluminium: One with 70 mm diameter and other with 71. In the photo is only the 70mm cup and the new mount. Pass a long screw and tighten it to take the old mount and use the old mount "ring" to push the new in place. I didn't had the screw, so, changing the mount was postponed.

Then, i tried to remove the octopus...Could remove everything, and of course - cracked in the usual location in the front height corrector. Then i noticed that the two plastic pipes from the left strut region was missing too! I found one small part of one of the pipes cracked.

That's why i lost 4 liters of LHM in 3 days with the car raised in garage. Removed all from above the car, back of the engine. Then, noticed when i tried to remove the octopus, i ripped some of the operational return small hoses that go for the front and rear height correctors.

One more thing puzzled me: My Operational return have three small hoses (one 5mm int. diam. for the PAS, two 4mm's for the correctors) and the big one passing in the front of the car. In the manuals, photos from here and other forums, i only saw photos with this return having only the correctors hoses (no 5mm hose).

They're like that (Pic found in Yaronet forum - Yes, i'm almost learning French with all the readings).

EDIT: New hoses, how they are:

In short: Taking measures of all hoses, i will make ALL octopus with silicon hoses and brass menders.
Brake return is ok, but will change it for the sake of reliability. Only the HP Pump inlet hose will remain.
I will post the length of every hose to ease of making it without seeing the old one in hands like i did. So, with the measures in hand, you buy the hoses, menders and fit it home. Cake recipe.

And finally: I found two more BX users here! All of them with failing suspensions! One with a BX 16 S and other with an 8V, auto, like mine (Minus the tail lights - Only my ride has the amber indicators). Now we are a group of two valvers and two 8'ers.
I made a group on What'sApp and Facebook in hope of finding more owners.

I'm feeling like a saviour to them (You have no idea how the mechanics STOLE them with expensive and innefective repairs), but thanks to BX Club, you folks from UK could help some BX's rise again in Brazil.

Thank you very much. More posts will come.
Citroën BX GTi 1993