Part of the reason for me getting stuck into the BX so quickly is that I'm back at work on Tuesday so I wanted to get through as much as I possibly could before then. It's the busiest week of the month for me and I didn't want to be distracted too much by the desire to fettle the BX. That means there won't be another substantial update now until probably Sunday. There might be some smaller cosmetic updates, like the wheel trims I'll be restoring, in the meantime. We'll see how I get on with work.
I managed to get in a couple of hours earlier today so that meant I could actually get some paint on the boot corner repair and have time to put all the trims back in. There's nothing else to do at the back of the car now.
Then I decided the best course of action was to strip the front end down. I was going to have to take the bumper off anyway to sort out the passenger side, and it was so easy to remove the rest of the panels and lights it would have been daft not to do it all in one go. Lots of cableties where captive nuts and bolts should be, presumably because the daft captive bolts Citroen used had all pinged off in that way they do. I found a little extra work to be done in the front crossmember, nothing serious and all easy access stuff. Overall, it's in pretty good shape.
Next to have a look at the driver's side inner wing. Dean had warned me it needed work in here, it was on his to do list, so I wasn't surprised to find stuff to do. More of that white sealant stuff had to be dug out and it revealed a handful of smaller patches required of the usual sort. The worst bit is on the outer wing side of the inner wing where the suspension sphere sits, a common place for BXs to go and not terribly involved to repair. Happily, the front lower part of the wing that the bumper slots into is in excellent shape and will provide a perfect pattern for rebuilding the passenger side. Here's some before and after shots.
This had all taken rather longer than you might expect, so I wasn't going to get any welding done today. Instead, I focused on getting things started on the passenger wing, so the first job was to explore the rusty bits to see what I was dealing with. The bumper hanger on this side had sat in a modified bit of bracketry wedged into the rust hole, which worked and wasn't done in a way that damaged the bumper or original hanger. I'll now just be putting it right again with fresh steel. Thankfully, the reference point for the bumper slot on the leading edge hasn't rotted away so I shouldn't have too much trouble lining the repair piece up in the correct place. Everything from the suspension point back looks in good shape, there's been at least one reasonable repair made that I don't see any need to redo.
With things explored, I had enough time to start chopping out the rusty bits. Almost every piece I need to replace is flat, with excellent access, so this should be about as enjoyable as these jobs get. I chopped out quite a large square for the piece next to the suspension. This was so it would be easier to both clean up the inner skin which needs a small patch letting in, and so I could more easily weld in the repair patch which I'll make out of fresh steel.
I then started cutting back the rust in the inner arch. Again, this is a much simpler shape than it first appears since it's essentially a long curved rectangle for the most part and won't be difficult to fabricate.
From inside the engine bay you can get an idea of access a bit better, especially now I've moved the wires out of the way. The little outrigger type piece under the car is still really solid so I just need to finish trimming out the platform that goes between the headlight and the inner arch where it's rotten so I can let a new square in. That bit will be a little trickier just because I can't dismantle things further for access, other than that it should be easy enough to repair since it's just another rectangle to go in here with no fussy bends and wiggles.
I saved the pieces I cut off for reference, even though I can template from the other side if needed, there's nothing of them I can really use again beyond that.
Then it was time to go home. Car looks a bit forlorn with all the front stripped down.