Talking B____X

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Mothman

Re: Talking B____X

Post by Mothman »

I have found that if the rear arm bearings are shot, they creak a lot, especially when you have just stopped and got out of the vehicle. I suspect that one or both of the spheres at the back have collapsed. My TZD changed from crashing and thumping badly to a very pleasant ride when i changed all the sphere's. Maybe the first job you do is replace them and see what happens.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Well they creak when the needles have disintegrated! As one of my cars had at 53K always garaged....

But they can also be sort of dry semi seized, part working and make no noise. I will be taking mine apart soon to check for this. The ride on mine, even after changing spheres is not quite what it should be.

I would expect a proper LHM change and brake bleed will sort the brake feel out for you Philip. If not, maybe the pads are not Bendix, I am about to change the Mintex front ones on mine which I don't really like. Not quite enough feel and squeaky, not to mention wearing the discs a mite more. I am sure a fresh accumulator helps the brake performance and feel as well. I'll change mine when the rear subframe gets returned to it's rightful place with some actual steel above it!.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Yep, it would seem a good session with Dennis (local Cit suspension guru) and some new spheres/LHM etc. will sort a lot of the issues out. Kermit's kindly offered to do the rear bearings and hopefully will help get the most out of the engine.

It appears the pump might be newer that the rest although that's hard to tell with no bill to say it is. The injectors look every one of their 22 years of age too. We'll see what further investigations throw up...
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Dennis booked for next week... :)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Off to see Mr. Oléopneumatique (Dennis to you and me) tomorrow, and there suspension will be given the attention it needs... what's more I have just bought an 'as new' pair of front struts ( :shock: ) to go with my new strut tops, Citroen return pipes, clips and other bits so maybe he'll get the chance to fit those on Friday... Rear arm bearings really do need doing but can't do them yet. I have the kits, but need Kermit's valuable expertise and it's a bit soon after his back op to ask ;) !
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

First report; offside rear arm bearing desperately needs doing, so Dennis will do that, only one minor low pressure leak found which hopefully will be fixed without too much trouble. Needs a new nearside gaiter but that'll have to wait. He'll replace the accumulator and two front spheres and regas the rears. Brake pads appear new and the discs are OK.

Once I have that done the car should ride better and be more stable under braking. Then, the list of further work looks like this (in no particular order):
Replace both front struts, fit new return pipes and clips and to be safe, replace nearside strut top mount after some tidying up of the metalwork around it.
Replace nearside rear arm bearing (much less worn than the offside).
Clean LHM tank filter and replace LHM.
Replace heater plugs.
Clean intercooler.
Fit cone filter induction kit (might as well, I've had it knocking about here for nearly a year!).
Fit heavy duty lighting loom - originally fitted to the Green Hornet.
Clear sunroof drain tubes.
Remove Moss alarm.
Fit new drivers window mechanism.
Fit new drivers door mirror.
Fit new headlights, indicators and rear light units.
Replace wiper assembly with refurbished one.
Fit new spray bar.
Remove and restore fog lights or replace with Hella units, with covers.
Repair tailgate damage and repaint.
Refurbish the Citroen tow bar.
Find suitable wheel trims.

Then there's the general tidying up of bodywork, treating or repairing any rust, and making good. And then preventative maintenance including checking pipes and hoses, bushes and linkages, waxoyling etc.

It'll take time and money, but hopefully be worth it!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Well worth it in the end Phil, you will be adding no end of value to your motor and making the drive much more pleasureable.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

New front struts and clips arrived today.... getting excited. And now I have to think about what enticements will be needed to get Monsieur BoXall de la BX to undertake the fitting of said items lol
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, Dennis finished what I'd asked him to do - and the car is a lot happier. Still need thinks doing, but a distinct improvement. Remind me, anyone, what causes the car to sink at the rear after braking and then gently settle itself?

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Oh, and I know. It could do with some BX trims.... but I can wait.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Phil wrote:Remind me, anyone, what causes the car to sink at the rear after braking and then gently settle itself?
The rear brakes are tapped off the rear suspension feed. If this is particularly noticeable then that points towards a problem with the Accy sphere or pressure regulator. I guess a weak pump could also be the culprit if it can't keep up with demand in use?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

New accumulator sphere just fitted, and it's not as bad as it was, so maybe an LHM change/filter clean and some use will see it improve further. Pumps up alright and tick time's right down to 30 secs plus. We'll see.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

A good session of Citrobics won't do any harm.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I'll give it a work out, sure. It's nearly there but is not handling as well as the Red Baron did yet. But in sure with further work we'll get there.

On another note, I keep a record of everything I spend on my cars now, so it has been interesting - and sobering - to see the running totals. Excluding tax and insurance, but including servicing, wiper blades, accessories, tyres, and those hidden things like colour specific polish or leather cleaner (Rover, of course), VAT on bills and items not yet fitted, the totals are - rounded up:

ZX: £1800
BX: £2250
Rover: £3450

And I daren't really factor in fuel, insurance and tax... This lark ain't cheap.

Mind you if I bought a new Citroen DS4 I'd be looking at that total in depreciation before long!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

you would loose that in a year Phil on a new Citroen!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....