Talking B____X

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Endless candidates for my 'fantasy collection', multiple BXs aside, I've become a bit distracted by Alfas recently... they seem to tick a lot of the quirky boxes that a BX might fill.

A decent 33/75 Cloverleaf or Veloce is a rare beast.... but they are strangely attractive.

Anyway, while I wait for the pills to kick in, I am still amazed by something I saw today: A Chrysler Voyager on an 03 plate (as if that matters) driving towards us (at a closing speed of maybe 80 mph) - with both side sliding doors fully open (!!!) to give the kids therein a nice breeze no doubt...

Is that right? Let alone legal?!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

That should cancel out the kids screaming :lol: .

Not sure if its illegal or not, but you would most certainly get pulled over by the filth & at least asked what are you playing at, & asked to shut the doors whilst its on their watch....

Mind you, kids probably enjoyed themselves....
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

The 75 is a cracking car, really well balanced and the V6 engine has a glorious exhaust note. Electric window switches on the roof, door handles that appear to be part of the arm rest - quirky enough for you?
The thing that made me laugh was the warning light system - there was a bank of warning lights in the centre of the dash that was renowned for displaying 'faults' that weren't. Obviously realising that this would be a problem later in the vehicle's life, Alfa thoughtfully included a light that would tell you if the warning lights weren't working properly (which I never saw illuminate :? ), and if this wasn't enough, a seperate button to cancel the spurious warning lights that would appear!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Philip Chidlow wrote:both side sliding doors fully open (!!!) to give the kids therein a nice breeze no doubt...

Legal - probably - as by law kids (& adults) need to be in a seat belt while the car is moving so they should not be able to therefore inadvertently exit! Also if the doors are sliding they are not a danger to other road users by being open. :?

Right? Well the driver may say it's his right to take that decision but I would say it's unwise nonetheless. What happens for instance when someone ahead throws a lighted fag end out of the window and it's sucked in through the door and hits one of the occupants in the eye and then there are further knock on consequences? :shock:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Way2go wrote:
Philip Chidlow wrote:both side sliding doors fully open (!!!) to give the kids therein a nice breeze no doubt...
Legal - probably - as by law kids (& adults) need to be in a seat belt while the car is moving so they should not be able to therefore inadvertently exit! Also if the doors are sliding they are not a danger to other road users by being open. :?
I think the illegalness of it is quite subtle actually. The likelyhood is that the vehicle only conforms to construction and use regulations when the doors are closed, hence the labeling on most vans/MPVs that says "do not drive with door open"

By driving with the door open, you are driving a vehicle in a state that doesn't conform, and as such are driving the vehicle that is not approved for road use.

That said, who else remembers sliding drivers' doors on Mk2 Transits, Comma Vans and the like from the 70's, still being driven around in the 80's with the door wide open and the driver not wearing a seatbelt? Corner a bit hard and you could easily end up on the pavement with the vehicle off on it's own merry way!
this might be a signature
M

Post by M »

DavidRutherford wrote:who else remembers sliding drivers' doors on Mk2 Transits, Comma Vans and the like from the 70's, still being driven around in the 80's with the door wide open and the driver not wearing a seatbelt? Corner a bit hard and you could easily end up on the pavement with the vehicle off on it's own merry way!
Or brake to hard and you had a device to neatly chop off the drivers / passengers elbow as I remember with the Commer van we used to have for Scouts.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Just in case anyone had spare money... :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1992-ALFA-ROMEO-3 ... 286.c0.m14
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Philip Chidlow wrote:I've become a bit distracted by Alfas recently...
I wrote that the Saturday - before Top Gear went all Alfa on the Sunday. I have sort of come full circle since. I really believe a true car nut not only should have an Alfa one day but also a 'true' Citroen. The BX in my opinion is the last 'true' Citroen.

So, while I wait for the right Alfa (lol!!!) I have to go against 'common sense' and get myself another BX. Very little spare cash means I have sort of put my faith in the 200k mile GTi auto that I will check out at the National. I will possibly ask a fellow member or two (of the mechanically-minded persuasion) to help me check it out. (Truth be told, I'm getting a little excited by the prospect, but equally I am a realist (no I'm not!) and can only offer any significant cash if it doesn't need £££s spending on it, so it needs to be an informed decision).

Even then it'll have to wait until the beginning of August before I'll be able to do much about it (holiday in the way)... Let's see how it all goes.

Looking forward to the weekend!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

An ex of mine had a 33 cloverleaf 2wd version, great in a straight line, but woeful in the corners, mind you, it might have been her driving, she was hopeless :lol:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Here's a Citroen you don't see every day:

"Meanwhile the Citroën factory had tried to take over the order by developing the AMR Citroën P 103 which had a very novel hydraulic suspension, but this project was rejected."

Got me thinking about other Citroen ventures... I know (I think, rather!) there was a Helicopter...

Anyone know of anything?
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Linky

Fairly exciting that they used the rotary engine out of the GZ, don't think I would like to risk flying in it...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Looks the biz though!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Looks the biz though!
So did the 'Titanic' ! :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

oops firefox crash & 'bounce'. :oops:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, it's off to sunny (we hope) France at the crack of dawn tomorrow. Back in two weeks. Pick up my 'new' BX the following weekend, then off to sunny (might be!) Belgium for a few days the following weekend. The Fiat Ulysse will be truly tried and tested by then, and the verdict will influence our decision over the coming weeks re: car fleet.

The Ulysse will probably go, funding work on the ZX and maybe getting a bit done on the BX...

Alternatively the ZX can go and we'll keep the MPV to run alongside the BX.

Either way, I'm not going to be BX-less so I'm happy.

Á bientôt, mes amis!