Mat's BX Blog

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

At least you didn't have to go out into the street and close the stopcock... :lol:

Got the gas kit yesterday and it is considerably more advanced than the old one - rather than having to create a separate map for the LPG fuelling it intercepts the signal from the petrol injectors (thereby using the vehicles original map) and adapts that for the injector timing needed for LPG, altering it based on ambient/gas pressures and gas temperature. It also means the revs will be raised when things like the A/C compressor kicks in (the old system was slightly prone to stalling). Injectors can be batch or sequentially fired - so when switching fuels it will (should?) do it seamlessly. Rather than simply taking signals from one lambda sensor and adjusting the fuelling based one one bank the new ECU takes signals from both lambdas, and also can communicate with the original ECU via the OBD socket!

I was chatting to the kit supplier after I'd decided to buy it and he was saying they don't usually supply DIY but the number of installers (his customers!) that he'd trust with his vehicles he could count on one hand…

I told him of my experiences and he said "It wasn't Hardys was it?" These were the second lot I went to and it turned out he'd had Simon Hardy on the phone bragging how he'd had a customer in (me) and how he'd probably end up charging £300 for diagnostic time and no guarantee of fixing the problem - and then he'd end up fitting a kit if unsuccessful. Glad we didn't take it there in the end then. :roll: As he said, this sort of thing ruins the reputation of the whole LPG industry.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Now that does sound as though it's properly engineered :-) and that the guy knows what he's doing in detail - it's so pleasant to be dealing with people like that - as for the other guy - what a drongo - I'm always amazed that some people think they can make a living on the back of bullshit !
At least you didn't have to go out into the street and close the stopcock...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Excellent business model - contempt for your customers! I hope he fails miserably. I distrust garages as much as I distrust estate agents and councillors and politicians and tv repair men and plumbers and builders and teachers and the police and doctors and bankers and all types of bull terriers and alsations and big dogs in general and supermarkets and energy companies and sport and pop and the rich... :twisted:
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

electrokid wrote: ...I don't wear pyjamas ... So up into the loft...It was then I realised I'd completed the job without having to put any clothes on :lol: :lol:
I'm guessing your loft is boarded out then Brian? In Dec I did the wiring for a friend's new loft conversion and rewired the upstairs ring main below it. I got rockwool everywhere - the damn stuff is horrible to work with. I'd asked for it to be cleared before I went in there, but somehow that didn't happen...

It's definitely not a job I'd want to do naked :shock:
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Ouch! Getting that up your....don't even go there! :lol:
electrokid wrote:it's so pleasant to be dealing with people like that
And unexpected in today's world it seems. I sent him an email at half nine last night about some of the wiring (I suspect our Disco is too early to have the standard OBD protocol) and had a reply within half an hour!
electrokid wrote:Now that does sound as though it's properly engineered
Yes - things seem to have come a long way in 8 years. Another interesting feature is that if you have a high performance car (the kit is 'only' rated to around 400bhp) or notice any power loss due to the slightly lower calorific value of LPG you can allow supplementary injection with the petrol injectors under certain conditions to compensate.
scarecrow wrote:I distrust garages
It takes a good while to find one you can trust - I did when I lived in Gloucester but have yet to get to the same level of confidence with the ones around here although there is one that's getting there.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

I'm guessing your loft is boarded out then Brian?
:-) in the old house - yes - there was an electronics lab up there :shock: and I had removed the glass wool insulation because that's nasty stuff too. Current house is done too but that's just a storage area - I've used vermiculite insulation around the edges which is damned expensive (which is why it's only around the edges :lol: ) but not nearly so nasty as the alternatives - produces an inert dust if kicked about but otherwise stays where it is. Best to seal insulation in polybags really.
contempt for your customers!
Finding the right tradesmen does seem to be fraught with difficulties. I used one particular garage for some 3 decades - Field Brothers in Woking - totally trustworthy etc, then when I started driving BXs THEY suggested I took it to Andy's Autos :shock: and that was spot-on advice. I've discovered that they always do that - if they are faced with an unusual problem they will recommend taking it to someone they know who has better in-depth experience of the marque. Top marks there :-)
And unexpected in today's world it seems. I sent him an email at half nine last night about some of the wiring (I suspect our Disco is too early to have the standard OBD protocol) and had a reply within half an hour!
People who are interested in what they're doing and like to get on with it - salt of the Earth :-)
you can allow supplementary injection with the petrol injectors under certain conditions to compensate.
Damn that's good - economy for the trip to Tesco's and performance when you want to rag it - somebody thought about that :-)
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

The system on my 406 is EGAS. ( On the bent one, not the replacement one yet.)

It works very well indeed, and sits on the back of the petrol injector signal like you describe.

I can't tell the difference between running on gas & petrol, except the lack of smells on LPG and the the lack of pain at the filling station.

Cars go faster on gas. No more power, but I can afford to put my foot down further.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Am I mad contemplating lpg for a 14?
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Well ok my initial reaction was somewhere between :rofl: and ----^ but then I had another think...

You need to do the math to see how much you'd save - first indication would be how many miles it would take to save the cost of conversion or break-even point so I did some very ball-park math using 30mpg, £1.40 per litre petrol, £0.70 per litre gas, and £600 conversion and the break-even came out to 5,700 miles which is not a lot - accurate pricings will make a difference of course.

My other initial reaction was - why... when you already have a diesel !
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

The tzd is 'getting on' whereas the 14 has only one tiny rust spot on an inner wing seam, has always been garaged, fsh too and only 70kmiles. I rarely use motorways, so the turbo on the tzd is superfluous most of the time, and the car is shitty-slow at low Revs with only small savings on fuel...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Mike E wrote:The system on my 406 is EGAS.
Egas was one of the systems that I was looking at, I decided on OMVL in the end due to local importer, better spares availability (at least round here), and good reports on an LPG forum I visit. Am I right in thinking you're swapping it over yourself Mike?
scarecrow wrote:Am I mad contemplating lpg for a 14?
Other factors to consider are cheaper road tax for a 14, and less oil contamination running on LPG rather than petrol and lower emissions (it should pass the MOT test for catalyst equipped cars without one). On the downside you will need to factor in some petrol costs unless you are prepared for lots of cranking before firing, as LPG systems don't have any choke like your carb. If most of your driving is short trips that initial mile or so on petrol could be significant. Also, loss of boot space although I'd put the tank underneath on the BX for neatness and ease of installation. Prices for LPG are very high at the moment due to the demand for heating - hopefully they will come down again unless the filling stations realise they can get away with charging more...

Somewhere like Tinley Tech will do a kit for just over £500 but that doesn't include fitting and it'd be a few days work I would suggest.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I suppose I should just get it running right on petrol first. Thanks for the tips though.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Probably, especially if the existing problems are ignition rather than fuel related. It's harder for the spark to jump the gap in an LPG/air mixture than a petrol/air mixture so will exploit any weakness in the ignition system. Also bear in mind there would be a slight drop in performance and economy from the lower calorific value of the fuel and the fact (with a carb'ed car) you'd be putting a restriction (gas mixer ring) in the air inlet system.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I agree with Mat, engine performance will be reduced on a non closed loop engine system with gas. An EFI engine is best option.

The lower calorific value means you need to burn more gas per mile than petrol. 15 to 20% more.

As Electrokid says, the break even point in months depends on your milage and mpg. If you break the car, you can keep the gas kit and put it on another car.
If you fit the kit yourself, that halves the up-front cost.

An engine must run A1 on petrol before it will run properly on gas.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

What is the price difference between petrol and LPG at the moment ?
2002 C5 HDi SX estate