Tip for citroen dispatch 1.9D

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Tip for citroen dispatch 1.9D

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

If your citroen dispatch non turbo D becomes even less powerful and begins to emit lots of black smoke check the EGR actuator right in front of you, theres a small cover held on by one torx screw, mine was disconnected :shock: and was flapping in the breeze, now wired fully open, I have driven this vehicle for 15000 miles and its never been right until now, EGR disconnect it, block up its pipes, pure rubbish.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

A bit echoey in here :D
andmcit
BXpert

Post by andmcit »

Would a dodgy EGR give a permanent state of 'detune' or an intermittent problem at first. Is this linked to the engine manglement warning light?

Andrew
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

andmcit wrote:Would a dodgy EGR give a permanent state of 'detune' or an intermittent problem at first. Is this linked to the engine manglement warning light?

Andrew
Never heard it being called that before, but perhaps quite apt :P
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

andmcit wrote:Would a dodgy EGR give a permanent state of 'detune' or an intermittent problem at first. Is this linked to the engine manglement warning light?

Andrew
Yes, it surely would Andrew, as the inlet charge will be starved of oxygen and will comprise a lot of useless gases that will do their upmost to hinder combustion.

The whole idea of EGR is to reduce the amount of NOx produced by lowering combustion temperature as NOx production is directly related to combustion temperature and in sucking exhaust gas back in, there is less oxygen available and thus combustion will be cooler.

The best thing to do with an EGR valve is to disable it by pulling off its vacuum line.

The Engine Management only opens the EGR valve under quite specific conditions, precisely what they are presently escapes me.

Having EGR in operation also coats the inlet valves and ports with a lot of carbon. In an EGR diesel you'll see the strange condition where the exhaust valves and ports are as clean as a whistle whereas the inlets look more like old petrol engine exhaust ports. This has to have an effect on performance and again another reason to dispense with EGR.

Such a vehicle may also have a simple two-way CAT to further reduce NOx emissions which after a time gets well choked with carbon. This, like the EGR valve is best dispensed with. A CAT on a diesel is not a legal or MOT requirement in the UK and nor is EGR as NOx is not an MOT testable item.
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

It appears that the EGR butterfly has probably been sticking since I have had the van, it is now wired wide open, I will probably blank off the actual pipe connection between inlet and exhaust, at no point did I get the engine management warning light.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft