Xantia Headlights

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

I saw Lidl had the H1's at a very reasonable £2.50 a pair! Otherwise ebay is full of choices.
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

MikeT wrote:I saw Lidl had the H1's at a very reasonable £2.50 a pair! Otherwise ebay is full of choices.
:o That is silly cheap Mike but knowing Lidl, they're most likely to be of reasonable quality as well. I've never yet bought anything bad from either Lidl or Aldi.

It is just a shame they cater so poorly for vegetatians otherwise I'd never need to go to Tesco ever again 8)
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

MikeT wrote:I saw Lidl had the H1's at a very reasonable £2.50 a pair! Otherwise ebay is full of choices.
Lidls! For headlamp bulbs? So a H1 is a type of bulb, what wattage should I be looking for.

Thanks
MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

I suspect these bulbs are ok quality and they're the standard 55W. But they were in a mixed cage of H4's, H7's etc, some "cool blue" tint too but not the H1's.
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

tim leech wrote:whats the best and most affordable direct replacement
Best AND most affordable??? :shock:

Best for the price are probably GSF's Osram Silverstar H1 & H4 for £15.50 and H7 for £20.00, both + VAT - CCC discount.

Most affordable could be Euro Car Parts' Astrum H1 at 40p(!), Bosch at £1.90 or Lucas at £2.30! I guess they're all standard brightness though.

But I can't help thinking that cheap headlight bulbs = those morons who keep dazzling me :evil: :evil: :evil:
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

Baldbazza wrote:But I can't help thinking that cheap headlight bulbs = those morons who keep dazzling me :evil: :evil: :evil:
I'm pretty sure they're the morons that have fitted illegal overpowered ones or somehow managed to fit the right ones but not squarely in the holder!
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

MikeT wrote:
Baldbazza wrote:But I can't help thinking that cheap headlight bulbs = those morons who keep dazzling me :evil: :evil: :evil:
I'm pretty sure they're the morons that have fitted illegal overpowered ones or somehow managed to fit the right ones but not squarely in the holder!
Or HIDs :x :x :x
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I've got Halfords 50%+ one's, very good....
cpt_spalding

Post by cpt_spalding »

Regarding the "reach" of the headlights. Can the beam of the headlights be adjusted with the lampholder position or the like?

Given the car is self levelling, could my car be riding too high at the rear end? Would it be easier to adjust this than the beam height?

Am I thinking too much?

Should I take an aspirin & lie down in a darkened room?

Or leave the light on if the lampshade cuts out enough direct light?

:-# :-# :-#
FCF refugee
1998 Xantia 1.9TD Est Tempt 2
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

cpt_spalding wrote:Regarding the "reach" of the headlights. Can the beam of the headlights be adjusted with the lampholder position or the like?

Given the car is self levelling, could my car be riding too high at the rear end? Would it be easier to adjust this than the beam height?
As far as I know, the lights have normal adjustments for aim, just as any car.

Mind you, it is very much worth checking the ride height as this will naturally have an effect. Adjusting the ride height to make the headlight aim right though is over thinking it a bit :D

You have to be careful playing with ride height, not only the safety aspect whilst doing it but also that it has a marked effect on the ride quality if it is not spot-on correct.
Jim

Dickieg
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickieg »

To adjust the headlight beam height, look on the black plastic panel above the headlights and you will see four small holes which allow access to the allen sockets on the adjusters. The inner holes adjust the height, the outer ones lateral movement.
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

I was able to assess my MK I Xantia headlights again this evening for the first time in about 9 months and whilst not as good as MK II lights, with the Philips Vision bulbs, they are more than adequate.

The main problem with them appears to me to be a poorly defined dipped beam compared to MK II lights.

The worst problem though is driving against HIDs and maljusted headlights, of which there seem to be rather a lot about around here. One particularly bad example was a chavved-up car of indeterminate identity that looked as if it had after-market HIDs fitted :evil:
Jim

MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

I got a pair of "extra white, blue tint" bulbs today - claims to be colour temperature of 7200 and they certainly make a difference - but I'm now sure my aim is too low.

I think the same about oncoming traffic, they seem to be getting worse! There were many cars out tonight on the unli A35 with one failed dipped beam compensated by fog lights instead! The other troublesome oncomers appeared to have patterns that scatter the countryside. Then there's those that just drive with full beam regardless. As for HIDs, they're just blatantly illegal coverage, surely?
98 Xant 1.9TD fuelled on veg
93 Granny SORN
90 VFR750 Breaking
cpt_spalding

Post by cpt_spalding »

Hmm.

I like HID's. When I had a co. car & had to replace the Audi A4 (appalling headlights, then) I got a Passat & demanded HID's. They were excellent.

I'm sure the beams were self levelling (rather than the whole car) & I don't recall any oncoming vehicles flashing me (out of irritation etc).
FCF refugee
1998 Xantia 1.9TD Est Tempt 2
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Factory fit HID's have self levelling mechs build into them, hence why they are legal & aftermarkets are illegal & blind everyone......