Turbo boost controllers

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
MikeT
BXpert

Turbo boost controllers

Post by MikeT »

Has anyone tried these things on their cars? I understand the principle but know nothing about the (my) xantia turbo. Does it have an acuator pipe as it seems this is how they need to be plumbed in. I realise it's dangerous to overboost so a gauge is needed too.
Xantiaman
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Xantiaman »

You should be ok on a Xantia, because the pipe that goes to the fuel pump is not shared with the actuator line. Boost will build quicker because the actuator will see no signal until the pre-set of the valve has been reached.
Xantia ActivaLX - Fuelled by SVO
MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

Forgot to mention, there's the matter of ecu and non-ecu controlled valve. Mine's the non version. I've seen diagrams to show how the controller plumbs into a feed from the turbo to the valve/wastegate but I've not seen this "actuator" pipe on my car, just the one that comes up to the fuel pump and that's where the boost gauge plumbs into I believe.
Xantiaman
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Xantiaman »

I wasnt aware (and would be surprised) if the ECU had any control over the boost as i had assumed it was actuator base setting controlled only, maybe from a port on the rear of the inlet manifold, or from compressor housing to actuator.
MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

I don't know about xantia turbos, but the controller diagrams show, as you mention, a pipe from the compressor to the wastegate. If my xantia has this then I can fit a boost controller - which would be interesting to experience.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I used one on the BX hooligan, they will fit Garrett turbos, not KKK.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

I don't know which turbo I have, what's the crucial difference?
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

As Xantiaman says,

there is no ECU involvement in the boost control.

If you just want to do a few experiments, a bleed valve will most likely do the trick Mike, you know, one of those that cause a deliberate leak in the pipe causing the boost has to rise higher before the wastegate starts to open.

Again, if it is just for experiments, no need to spend a lot, just go to your local tropical fish store and get one of those little taps they put in fish tank air-lines.

I'd not like to play with boost without having a gauge in place though...
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

I know my car hasn't got ECU boost but I don't know if there's an actuator pipe I can plumb-in to. I've got a used boost gauge and some 5mm tubing but need a t-piece (can't find one anywhere) that fits the turbo-fuelpump now. What size is that?

I read that bleed-off valves aren't as effective as the shut-off valves (don't know why) so got one of those instead.
Xantiaman
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Xantiaman »

MikeT wrote:I know my car hasn't got ECU boost but I don't know if there's an actuator pipe I can plumb-in to. I've got a used boost gauge and some 5mm tubing but need a t-piece (can't find one anywhere) that fits the turbo-fuelpump now. What size is that?

I read that bleed-off valves aren't as effective as the shut-off valves (don't know why) so got one of those instead.
Bleed valves are not as good because the allow air to leak all the time, whilst this fools the actuator into opening later = more boost, it can be inconsistant, also, the actuator still see's a boost signal so will start to open at whatever the spring pressure is, i.e if the actuator is rated at 10psi it will always start to crack open at the boost even if you adjust it using the arm and giving a 15psi boost setting.

Using an MBC will mean the actuator only ever see's the boost pressure you want, give or take a small pressure drop, so if you set the MBC to open at 14psi, the actuator will not see that boost until the engine has produced enough volume/load, and then the MBC will open, the wastegate gets pushed open by the actuator, job done! It is more accurate in its setting too.

The end result is boost should build quicker because the wastegate never opens early, which should make the engine overall more responsive, and give you the extra boost you want to make more power (but only once you have added the fuel to match!)

Gareth