Xantia rear door speakers

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
MikeT
BXpert

Xantia rear door speakers

Post by MikeT »

Anyone fitted them? Are they pre-wired and what size (diam & depth) speakers will fit well
Xantiaman
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Xantiaman »

I thought they all had them?
Xantia ActivaLX - Fuelled by SVO
MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

The handbook actually has a section devoted to installing all six speakers *according to option*. I already have two tweeters and two front door speakers fitted but not in the rear.

:oops: It does say the rears are 130mm diameter.
admiral51
Confirmed BX'er

Post by admiral51 »

hi mike
i dont think they are pre wired unless it was speced for rear speakers.looking in the handbook ( not the BOL ) it says the diameter for fronts is 165mm and rears are 130mm
the grille covers are smaller for the rears than the front.i do have a couple of spare grilles for the rear doors if you want them :) :)

if you have the owners handbook details are on page88+89 did have speakers but used them in new car

colin
admiral51
Confirmed BX'er

Post by admiral51 »

oops cross posted :oops: :oops:
colin
elma

Post by elma »

What model is you're car and does it have the original stereo?
If it has the 2020 stereo (small screen and only has buttons along the bottom, don't think it has cd in either) you need to wire in the speakers.
If the car is an Lx or if it came with the 3030 stereo (lots of buttons and aux in) it has wires for rear speakers.
Take off the rear door cards if you are not sure and they will be taped to the insulation. They have yellow connectors on the end.

If it has the wires in place then get the standard speakers from a scrap yard, they will be about a fiver and they are decent enough. They are nice because the connecter fits straight onto them.

You will also need to get the 4 mounting screws and the plastic clips (in the door) that the screws screw into or you're speakers will wobble around. My car did not have these when I got it but did have the wires.
The speakers themselves screw into the door cards but the doorcards have extra screws to the door if you have rear speakers.

Have you're door cards got room for the speakers, you may want new ones of them as well if the don't. Oddly citroen often put the wires there and the hole under the doorcard for the speaker but give you a doorcard that has no room for the speaker.

What colours you're interior? Someone here ay have doorcards if its a common colour. I only have spare ones with no speaker holes though, sorr.y
MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

Hi Elma, I've got the Tempatation2 model (LX) with rear door speaker grills but there was no stereo fitted when I bought it so assumed I had rear speakers. I recall pulling the grill off to look and seeing no speaker but don't recall seeing a connector or wiring.

What I do find strange is that now I've fitted a Sony CD headunit, the fader gives the front bias to the tweeters and the rear bias to the front door speakers so which bias are the rear speakers connected to? :?

The pinouts in the handbook don't show six speakers connected.

And to make matters more complex, my headunit has an extra output for either an amplifier with two speakers or a sub-woofer channel. I'm thinking of going with the sub-woofers as the car speakers distort too easily with loud bass and ruin the total sound.
Xantiaman
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Xantiaman »

I think there is every chance your car does have the wires in place for the rear speakers and someone removed them at some point in the past and played around with the wires, the front speakers and tweeters run off the same circuit so it should fade from tweeters to front speakers. Also with a good quality headunit the speakers wont distort to excess in normal listening, the 4030 is perfectly ample for the job IMO.
Xantia ActivaLX - Fuelled by SVO
np

Post by np »

My Dad had a brand new td LX est in 1996.That did`nt have rear speakers fitted,but the wiring & plug was there ready to connect them.
406 Hdi est SE,79K
elma

Post by elma »

Sounds like you're cars had an amp in it to drive the rear speakers and they've set up the fader like that deliberately to control the tweeter / mid balance leaving the sub level control to do the rear speakers. Quite a unique and stupid way to do it really as the headunit controls this as standard anyway with the treb/bass and if you install top end speakers the x overs adjust this as well..

Did you have a good look at the wires leaving the back of the stereo?
It's quite common for these to be chopped and changed, but fortunately they are easy to put back to standard as the are colour coded. The speaker wires are all brown or green, but they have coloured lines on them so you can tell which should be where. If they've been cut in the wrong place you won't have the colours as a guide, but common sense and trial and error will get it sorted.

If wres have not been cut behind the head unit then You will need to take off all of the doorcards and work out what has been done.

If you are really unlucky they will have taken out the carpet and re routed the rear wire to the front. I think this is unlikely as if they were silly enough to wire up the speakers like that they were probably not too bothered about cutting a few wires. Although it would be nice because when you put it back it won't have any solder in the wiring like my car.

It shouldn't be to hard to fix, m car was almost exactly the same when I got it and it's stereo is perfect and standard now.
MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

There's no signs of tampering at the facia connectors. My Sony headunit came with an ISO adapter and it worked straight off.

What surprised me was that fading from front to rear moves the bias from the dash tweeters to the front door speakers and vice versa. If I were to install rear door speakers (which I've now decided against) I assumed they would also be on the "rear fader" circuit and was looking for confirmation of this from anyone with rear door speakers as standard.

Additionally on the back of my headunit, there is an extra pair of stereo RCA outputs that can be used for a third pair of amplified speakers or a non-amplified sub-woofer. I've decided to utilise that output with a sub instead of fitting rear door 5inch speakers.