Bouncy Bouncy Ride

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
Ricky Latarche

Bouncy Bouncy Ride

Post by Ricky Latarche »

Hiya, I'm a noobie to Citroens and have acquired a N Reg Xantia TD SX from my dad after my Pug had an accident in a rather deep puddle.

My Question is . . . . How do I know which sphere's are gone on my car, i know two are at least and a ticking noise every 5 or 6 seconds also means the accumulator needs replacing.

The reason is the ride is very bouncy ( i can feel every dip in the road and bump) going over speed bumps at anything over 10 mph causes the car to pitch back and forth going down a lot further on the passenger side front than the drivers side (causes it to rock diagonally).

Also the lights. . . . . i've got Phillips +50% brightness bulbs yet they are worse than my other halfs pug 106 with bog standard 55W bulbs. Anything I can do to brighten the roads a little?

Thanks in advance for any help - If FCF was up and running i'm sure I'd be able to search for the answers no problem - but sods law - as soon as you need it - it aint there!!
admiral51
Confirmed BX'er

Post by admiral51 »

first off i would get the acc sphere changed and then worry about the suspension.
from what i can remember you should be able to push down/rock the car pretty much the same as a "normal" car..im a FCF refugee and im sure Anders will put me right on this cos he told me when i asked the same sort of question on FCF

im sure ive read on here something about "nightbreaker" bulbs not sure if phillips or osram but they seem to be pretty good and yes the bog standard ones are as much use as a chocolate fireguard
if you are replacing acc+2 others they always get done in pairs ie both front/back.assuming its just got the 6 acc +2 front and back + 1 rear centre (anti-sink) you just as well get them all done as if you say diagonally then its one front and one back gsf do them £18.50 each i think inc seals.
if you do anti-sink make sure you get a 3.5mm lhm pipe seal and undo the 9mm securing nut before you attempt to undo the sphere and always support the car with jacks/axles stands etc they will kill you if they drop and you are underneath it

colin
Ricky Latarche

Post by Ricky Latarche »

admiral51 thanks for the quick reply, i'll try and lay my hands on some of these night breaker bulbs - however if they still are not good enough - has anyone here tried the heavy duty wiring upgrade? I remember reading about this a day or so before the FCF went down so I never got the chance to get the details, wiring diagrams and parts needed.

I think i'll leave the suspension and wiring upgrade until FCF is back up and running (any idea when that will be) as there doesn't appear to be half as many members visiting this forum atm!
MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

I second what admiral says, get the accu sphere first and also check the LHM fluid level is topped up then set the car to low (engine running) for a few minutes to dissipate any trapped air. As for the pitching, I'm afraid I can't comment on that but if it's bouncing that might indicate the front height corrector lever has come off - easy to rectify but make sure you have the car well and truly supported before crawling underneath.

Yes, the headlights are dangerous on unlit roads at speeds over 40mph IMO. Phillips make the nightbreakers and they can be had on ebay for £20 pair. Otherwise, I think the advice is to install new wiring and relay as the Citroen's own doesn't like heavy loads. If you're thinking of converting to HID's, it's a bit of a grey area as some (including me) feel they are also dangerous to oncoming traffic. But I'm sure others will be here soon to give more accurate help.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

There's a big big thread about HIDs over on the club-XM forum with various points of view and some interesting legal information.

I really want to upgrade the headlamps on the XM but I haven't quite decided how to go about it yet. I'm going to experiment with brighter halogen bulbs before I start down the HID route.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I thought non factory fit hid's were illegal???
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Rapid ticking is the usual give away for a flat accumulator.

So far as general suspension is concerned its well worth having a look at the ride height - does it look about right when you stand besides the car and look at it? The reason I say this is that the Xantia height correctors are very prone to seizure and when they seize the car won't achieve the correct ride height and will ride badly. If the correctors are sticky the ride may improve temporarily if the car is raised then dropped to the correct height.

You should be able to depress each corner if the spheres are OK - of one is rock hard - then the sphere is flat.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

if one side at any one corner moves more than the other side of the same end of the car it means you have a flat /nearly flat sphere on the corner which has little or no movement, but it is best to replace them both at the same time front pair and or rear pair, the A/C sphere needs replacing if ticking that often

regards malcolm

ps were abouts are you im in st leonards on sea east sussex
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Ricky Latarche

Post by Ricky Latarche »

Malcolm,

many thanks for the response, I'm In Haverhill (the border town of essex, cambridgeshire and Suffolk)

My friend is a mechanic however he hasn't had much dealings with a citroen and knowing how different they are from normal cars I'd rather have someone who knows the car to take a look at it.

Jeremy,

The ride height looks fine, If i adjust the height to each of the 4 settings the car raises and lowers to what I would say is the correct height, there is only 3-5mm difference from either side in height once settled so I would say that the height adjusters were working ok. I've tried the Citrobatics about once a month to keep them free!!

Ricky