Xantia MK II Radio

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
RichardW
BXpert

Xantia MK II Radio

Post by RichardW »

Well, my Xantia nearly did fail to start this morning - it was -5°C and it was deffo reluctant to turn over, so I am thinking might be time for new battery before it really is "My Xantia won't start in the morning" time :lol: Trouble is, no radio code. How does the radio come out? Was going to see if the code was written on it, or try and get the serial number decoded before I have to grease the dealer's palm to get the number (or maybe you can get it via citroen-service...???).
I NEED a BX TD.
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Hi Richard,

very easily :D

gently prise off the trim around the radio and heater controls after removing the ashtray.

then, you'll find just two torx screws holding the radio in.

Your local Dealer will give you the code on production of VIN, proof of ownership and etc.

They'll charge from about zero to a tenner for this, depending on how they feel...
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
M

Post by M »

Or search on fleebay and find a radio adaptor plate - cheapo ones can be had for a fiver which make the hole Din sized, more expensive geniune Citroen ones hide the radio away properly. Then fit anything you like. I always found the radio rather weak on mine untill I replaced it with a Sony item.
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

The only problem with the MK II radio, at least the 6 CD changer version, is the lack of Long Wave; not for the loss of Radio 4 but for the loss of an ability to "listen" to ones Hydractive Electrovalves...
Jim

MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

Just hook up a 12V supply to the battery terminals and then remove the battery. Your radio won't lose the code or the presets.
Xantiaman
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Xantiaman »

Minus 5? where are you in the country? Talking of starting mine is running 95% veg mix and after 2 glow plug cycles started as normal :wink:

Mine has a 720 CCA battery from a 7 Series so no shortage of cranking power for me!
Xantia ActivaLX - Fuelled by SVO
Dickieg
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickieg »

citrojim wrote:The only problem with the MK II radio, at least the 6 CD changer version, is the lack of Long Wave; not for the loss of Radio 4 but for the loss of an ability to "listen" to ones Hydractive Electrovalves...
Eh? Get on the MW band then tune straight onto LW, well it works on both of mine Jim :)

Richard, don't forget to remove the two Torx 20 screws down by the ashtray before levering out the trim.
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Dickieg wrote:
citrojim wrote:The only problem with the MK II radio, at least the 6 CD changer version, is the lack of Long Wave; not for the loss of Radio 4 but for the loss of an ability to "listen" to ones Hydractive Electrovalves...
Eh? Get on the MW band then tune straight onto LW, well it works on both of mine Jim :)
So it does :D 8) I just had to venture out into the cold and try it.

Thanks Richard!
Jim

RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

"Minus 5? where are you in the country?"

Lanark, Scotland. We're 200m above sea level so it can be quite chilly!

Thanks for the outline Jim, which is exactly as per my MK1's, but i don't think is going to work on my MK11. This car has a fold down flap over the radio which looks separate from the surround round the heater controls, and there are 4 holes in the front of the radio which look like they need removal tools to pull the radio out. More investigation required when I get to look at it in the light!

The radio is not bad - a bit poor at picking up weak stations though. Replacing it with a CD player had crossed my mind - I wonder if there are any that will work with the steering wheel controls.
I NEED a BX TD.
elma

Post by elma »

yep loads will
sony and jvc spring to mind but there are others.
Just make sure it is compatible on their website first.
You have to buy an extra lead to go fro the remote input to the 3rd plug on the car
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

According to the XM it was -3 here yesterday morning - just a few miles from the south coast... I imagine it's a fair bit colder in Lanark :shock:
MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

Here in Christchurch (1/2 mile from the coast), I was in the garden before 6.30am and I thought it was rather mild. An hour later it was noticeably much colder and I literally watched my front screen freeze over. By 8.00 the roof was icey followed by the rear screen. (East to West). Freaky.
Clogzz
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Clogzz »

If it’s anything like mine, there are 4 torx screws holding the radio in, and the flap comes out with the radio.
The radio has to be disconnected from the car battery for several minutes before it loses memory.
It must have its own back-up battery or capacitor, but they do rot in time.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 207,000 km 76372389
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

Ok, definitive: on this one the radio comes out first. You need a pair of the extractor tools (for which Halfords relieved me of > 4 quid FFS!), remove the plastic trim on the radio and then it just pulls out. The flap appears to follow after removal of 4 Torx screws.

No number written on the radio so off to the dealer :cry:

It appears to be a standard DIN radio though, so easy to fit another one if required :lol:
I NEED a BX TD.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Have you got history with the car?

When my mum's Pug 106 lost its code after a replacement battery, I rang the original dealer that sold it new. They had kept a record and gave me the code over the phone.