Misty Xantia

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Misty Xantia

Post by CitroXim »

I dug my TD out from its slumbers this evening. It's not run for weeks but started first time, no problem at all, suspension flew up to ride height and generally all is good except a load of blown bulbs

But, it is steaming up inside something terrible. It's like trying to drive a bathroom

I can't recall if this is a trait with the Non-Aircon Xantia of if I have a problem. My Activa clears and remains crystal-clear under all conditions but often it does need a bit of help from the A/C to keep it so, especially with the kids on board.

I'm wondering, because it has been out of service for so long, if it's just a bit damp? although there are no leaks. I've felt under the carpets and in all the usual areas and she's bone-dry. I did wonder if the heater matrix had let go but thankfully it is not emitting any suspicious curry-like odours.

So, is it a problem or is it normal? I ask as I cannot recall now how it was last time I regularly used her in cool, damp weather
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
Dickieg
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickieg »

Is the heater intake lever on recycle?
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Dickieg wrote:Is the heater intake lever on recycle?
Nope, just gone out and checked but of course that is not to say the intake is not choked with leaves though :wink: (although it was clear last time I looked but it has been sheltering under a hedge)

There is no pollen filter in a non A/C Xantia is there?

I once had the problem on my old Pug 405 where the motor-driven fresh/recirculated flap was stuck in recirculate and that car was an absolute nightmare to keep mist-free...

It was also a nightmare that it had no rear wiper :twisted: if ever a car needed one, it was the 405 saloon...
Jim

Dickieg
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickieg »

No, there's no pollen filter on non aircon Xantia's.

You might be able to see whether the flap opens when you check for leaves by looking through the grille.

When you checked the carpets did you get right under them because the foam backing under the carpet is one of the best sponges known to man for holding water whilst the carpet above feels completely dry!
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Dickieg wrote:When you checked the carpets did you get right under them because the foam backing under the carpet is one of the best sponges known to man for holding water whilst the carpet above feels completely dry!
I got my hand right under Richard :wink: Both my Xantias have taken on the appearance of fishtanks in the past and I've had far too much experience of pulling interiors right out to dry them :twisted: :roll: :lol: You're right though, that foam can hold a fair few gallons..

I've also had much experience of sorting 205 leaks. My poor little GTi has leaked from every conceivable place during my ownership of it :evil: I had the amusing task of fixing one leak, only for another to appear a few days or weeks later. I've also had to replace the heater matrix twice on it because they sprang leaks but thankfully, on a 205, it is a very simple job..
Jim

CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

I'm happy to report all is well now. I gave all the windows a good clean on the inside with a chamios and removed a very heavy layer of muck and traffic film. This load of dirt seemed to encourage misting up strangely :?

It had the ultimate test this evening; a car-full of teenage girls :lol: apart from the rear screen needing a quick dose of the heater, all remaind crystal-clear whilst other cars were noticeably steamed up :D

The car has also had a good airing out today which may well have helped.
Jim

MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

citrojim wrote:I gave all the windows a good clean
Williams F1 cleaner lifts the muck well, did you try it?
98 Xant 1.9TD fuelled on veg
93 Granny SORN
90 VFR750 Breaking
Xantiaman
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Xantiaman »

My windows were very misty this morning and took ages to clear, my heater matrix isnt leaking either but hot breath against freezing glass always causes problems to some extent.

On the weekend i will be applying Rain X anti mist which i purchased some time ago, it really does work very well.
Xantia ActivaLX - Fuelled by SVO
Dickieg
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickieg »

Xantiaman wrote:My windows were very misty this morning and took ages to clear.
Get an Activa and they will clear almost instantly.
Mind you that's only because the engine is producing heat rather than propulsion :lol:.