hydraflush and sphere canging

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
admiral51
Confirmed BX'er

hydraflush and sphere canging

Post by admiral51 »

im now in a position to change the spheres on my P reg xantia for proper gooduns not second hand tide me overs :)
ive been running it with hydraflush for last 1000miles to clear crud etc out before i put new ones on
i have a 2nd xantia with flat spheres which i intend to put a new acc sphere on + old spheres from my P reg as both are 1.9 d mk1 and run it with hydraflush before gaining enough beer tokens to replace the spheres with new ones
can anyone see any problems with this plan of action or does it make good common sense :wink:

the old spheres on my P reg are not flat by any means so i cant see too many problems

cheers

colin
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Sounds like a sound plan to me Colin :wink:

Do though, clean your filters in the LHM reservoir after draining the Hydraflush. You'd be amazed at how much additional crud they'll pick up again. Remember there are two and one, the conical one, hides up inside the suction tube and is easily overlooked.

Get a really decent sphere removal tool, the Peliades one is the only one that is really up to the job and is money well spent. Possibly, this is the only tool that will efffectively shift the rears as these can be very, very tight.

The rears need to be cracked off under full pressure with the rear suspension set on high to avoid damaging the LHM feed to the rear cylinders. Crack them 1/8 of a turn, then depressurise and unscrew them the rest of the way off.

I know I'm stating the obvious but please ensure the car is well supported whilst doing this in case you have a sudden drop in height. You'd dont want to be under the car unsupported if this happens, they can kill.

If the sphere are really flat, be prepared for a big LHM spillage, possibly a squirt of it as well.

Bleed the brakes after fitting new spheres and doing Citarobics. The rears particularly will be full of air after a sphere change. Bleed at least half a pint of LHM out of each rear to ensure all air has been bled out.

Finally, remember to nip up the pressure release stud on the pressure regulator. You'd not be the first to forget and sit there scratching your head and wondering why the system is refusing to pressurise :roll: I know, I've been there :oops:
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...