replacing xantia door stays front doors mk1

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
admiral51
Confirmed BX'er

replacing xantia door stays front doors mk1

Post by admiral51 »

just done this particular job and i have found that there are atleast 2 ways to do this....................................................
the first and most time consuming is the hardest and well worth giving a miss and so i wont bother you with the details except to say 4 b"££%y hours for one and that was getting it out up the scrappy :evil: :evil:

the second is best and goes like this
1.make sure window is fully closed
2.remove door card completely and reconect window switch
3.undo both retaining nuts on body(10mm) and removed both 10mm bolts on door
4.undo 10mm nut holding window guide nearest A pillar and push whole assembly out of its alignment hole then tilt top of guide towards rear of door
5.door stay can be easily pulled through into door and extracted
to use a Bol ism refitting is a reversal of the above except for the following
when refitting window guide only hand tight nut and then check window operates correctly and tighten with window at half mast
time for this method approx 15 mins each side start to finish........much much better :)

it may be possible to do this job with access through the speaker housing but not 100% sure if you can gain access to the window guide locating nut

another job ticked off my to do list :D :D
another 15ish to do :lol: :lol:

colin
**********EDIT*************************
i may not have made this quite clear a real Bol ism so here goes
the access point is up through the speaker recess and and the only thing preventing removal/refitting of the door stay is the window guide
if you have access to the window guide nut purely by removing the speaker from the door card then there is no need to take the whole door card off i should have checked this but i needed to take the cards off to fix the interior door lock bits and pieces and i apolgise for my oversight :oops: :oops: