Front end wont rise

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
Xantiaman
Confirmed BX'er

Front end wont rise

Post by Xantiaman »

Hi guys,

My normally reliable Xantia has started playing up.

I got in the car tonight after work, started up, waited for the stop light to go out, then drove off, but i noticed the ride was a little bit choppier than normal, when i got home i found the front end had not risen above its normal slightly sunken look after 9 hours.

Putting the suspension to maximum height it goes up fine, back to normal position and the front end stays in the air. Down to lowest position and it lowers evenly but wont go back up when normal is selected.

I am looking at a simple siezed height corrector or broken dog leg? Or something more sinister? Is it ok to drive it a couple of miles to work and back without any damage?

Gareth
Xantia ActivaLX - Fuelled by SVO
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Hi Gareth,

Nice easy one this one :lol: :lol:

Either the front height corrector has seized or the little white plastic link between the rollbar and the height corrector has popped off.

If it has popped off then suspect that the height corrector may be seized or partially so.

If the link is in place, give the height corrector a good clean-up and douse heavily in WD-40 or similar to free it off. Then, once free and working normally, spray it with a good spray grease for ongong protection and lubrication. I like Comma Spray Grease for this job.

I had the same on my Activa and it took a few days to free off the height corrector. It was very dry of lubricant. The problem with them is they are hard to get to. You need the car up on stands to get at it and even then, access is not easy.

Lubing height correctors is a regular routine job. Do it every few weeks int he winter.

Please support the car exceedingly well before venturing underneath for safety reasons. Hydraulic Citroes can kill.
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Sorry Gareth, forgot to answer your second :oops:

Yep, it is OK to drive very carefully a few miles, especially if you can fiddle the height so you have some suspension movement. You'll find the ride terrible though. It is amazing how much a good height corrector contributes to ride comfort and suspension performance.
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
Xantiaman
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Xantiaman »

Spot on. Took a quick look with a torch tonight and was lucky enough to see it had popped out, i pushed it back on with a screwdriver for now and will do a more semi-temporary repair tomorrow using works ramp, will grease up the linkage and use a cable tie until i can source a new linkage bit.

Gareth
Xantia ActivaLX - Fuelled by SVO