xantia mk1 wiper relay

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
admiral51
Confirmed BX'er

xantia mk1 wiper relay

Post by admiral51 »

im having problems with the wipers on my xantia well partial problems really
the wipers work fine on normal and fast speed and the rear works intermittent as it should.also rear wipes 3 times when washer used.
the problem is i cant get intermittent on front wipers and also when using washer the wipers dont work i feel they should wipe 3 times as with the rear.if i flick control arm down they work once... again as expected :?

i have swapped control/stalks for a known good one with the same results although the old one works fine in the car i swapped with

im hoping its something simple like the relay being shot but not sure where it is located.easy test will be to change relays over once i know where they are :lol: :lol:

colin
Dickieg
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickieg »

What year is your Xantia? If its a 96 Autodata show the relay as being to the left of fuse 21/22 etc.

However I recall the relay on my 97 TD as being further down close to the carpet somewhere on the bottom row when I removed the relevant wire in order to stop the '3 flick wipe' after washing as it annoyed me at the time :roll:
admiral51
Confirmed BX'er

Post by admiral51 »

thanks Dickieg its a 1994 L plate will go and hunt for the relay today

cheers

colin
Dickieg
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickieg »

In that case, Autodata states that a 94 model has it located as the middle one right down at the bottom by the carpet, (i.e like my 97 TD :? ).
admiral51
Confirmed BX'er

Post by admiral51 »

im now well and truly confused not by what you said Dickieg but by what i found....
put wipers on pulled all relays and the things kept wiping :o :o

any ideas or have i missed something really stupid :oops: :oops:

colin
Dickieg
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickieg »

The relay I'm referring to operates the washer pump relay, i.e. the '3 wipe flick'. IIRC there is also a relay located alongside the wiper motor, I'll take a look at one of my spares this afternoon to confirm that for you.
admiral51
Confirmed BX'er

Post by admiral51 »

It may be possible Dickieg that the relay im looking for may not be there not had a really good look before but this car is basic :lol: its a 1.9d lx lucas pump non a/c on a L plate doesnt even have a glove box light got a plastic panel over it :) :)

i have looked for the relay near the carpet but i only have 5 relays in around the area..1 by fuses is indicators orange one is for heated rear screen one white 3 pin (no idea) and then 2 4 pin light green ones the latter are down by the carpet but i do have various sockets with nothing in could it be a case of something missing rather than not working :?

colin
Dickieg
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickieg »

admiral51 wrote:It may be possible Dickieg that the relay im looking for may not be there
That's certainly possible if it's never worked, I had that problem with my Activa when I bought it, I couldn't operate the rear windows fron the front as the relay was in the wrong slot.
admiral51 wrote: i have looked for the relay near the carpet but i only have 5 relays in around the area..1 by fuses is indicators orange one is for heated rear screen one white 3 pin (no idea) and then 2 4 pin light green ones the latter are down by the carpet but i do have various sockets with nothing in could it be a case of something missing rather than not working :? colin
As far as I can work it out, the other relays will be any for of the following; sunroof, electric windows, rear fog lamps, horn, windscreen wash.
admiral51
Confirmed BX'er

Post by admiral51 »

i have pulled all relays from fusebox area and still the wipers work front and rear along with the washer jets but no intermittent or 3 flick.as the rear has a relay on the motor is it possible/probable that the relay im looking for is on the front motor and if so how do i get to it without removing front scuttle which has recently been resealed after having a new screen put in :? :?

colin