Xantia lower arm suspension bushes (front)

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
Xantiaman
Confirmed BX'er

Xantia lower arm suspension bushes (front)

Post by Xantiaman »

Had an MOT this morning, all ok and went straight through but had an advisory on the front lower arm bushes at the back. Are they easy to replace? Should i just get another brand new arm complete with bushes to save hassle? And also, if they are failing, would they cause a knock noise? I replaced my ARB links recently and balljoints are fine, but i still get a knock!

Gareth
Xantia ActivaLX - Fuelled by SVO
Dickieg
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickieg »

The big problem with fitting new bushes to the arms is that they must be fitted at exactly the correct angle on the arm otherwise they will split due to being under constant strain. As the bushes are an interferance fit getting it right isn't easy, so if you can find arms at a reasonable price that's a much easier solution.
99 Xantia HDi Exclusive Est
98 Xantia V6 Exclusive
97 Xantia VSX TD
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

As Richard says, you have to take extreme care. There are alignment marks on both the wishbone and the OE bushes but often pattern bushes don't have them. In that case, you need to carefully note how the old one was and get the new one back on in precisely the same place. Easier said than done although if you freeze the wishbone and heat (gently) the new bush, they're not hard to drift home.

Also, the old bush is a bit tricky to get off. Usually it is necessary to resort to the hacksaw and in doing so it is incredibly easy to just "nip" the wishbone spigot with the blade. This is dangerous as it could cause a stress riser in a very heavily loaded area with serious consequences if the spigot broke as a result.

Do replace them by all means but please be careful.
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
Xantiaman
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Xantiaman »

Ok who wants to do them if i pay them! :lol:

I'm not adverse to working on cars but i dont have any tools at all, i was lucky with my cambelt and water pump and got them done for £70 by an ex Citroen mechanic but i dont work at the same place anymore.
elma

Post by elma »

Where you at?
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

if you want the bushes i have 10 to 15 genuine original citroen ones for the Xantia, god only knows why, and i'm convinced they are breeding as i'm sure i started off with only 4. I expect the going rate to be about 1xpint a piece (at northern rates!).
Xantiaman
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Xantiaman »

elma wrote:Where you at?
Kent.

If i cant find anyone to fit them, i may just buy complete arms off ebay for 40-50 quid each and fit them myself.

Gareth
jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

Hi G,

I will come up and help you put new lower arms on (have tools etc), if you work some magic on my Inj pump ;)

John