Athena

BX Tech talk
petergar
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroen BX Athena, RBS8 hillclimb car, VW EOS

Athena

Post by petergar »

Hello - I'm a noob to this forum but I've had a couple of BXs back in the day. I recently rather foolishly bought the last BX Athena (J-reg) from a cowboy who made it sound far better than the price......and whilst it's not terrible it has a number of issues which I've been looking into and could do with some help/pointers.

1. the heater and fan do not work at all......both knobs don't turn properly and neither work. My research so far makes me think the heater is likely a seized tap on the pipes under the dash and the fan - possibly the transistor although a lot of people saying it rarely goes wrong? Could it be the whole control unit is broken somehow? It looks to be an electronically controlled item?

2. The front suspension rattles on uneven roads as though it has drop links that are failing.....although I know they don't have such things. The cowboy assured me it had had new spheres last year. IS there anything else it could be?

3. The brakes lock up very easily......I know it hasn't got ABS but I wasn't expecting to be able to leave 10m tyre marks braking hard from 40 mph!

Thanks for any help/advice in advance!
mat_fenwick

Re: Athena

Post by mat_fenwick »

Hello and welcome!
Quick answer is that it's likely to be a number of issues. Seized heater taps are reasonably common, access is awkward under the dash by the steering column on a RHD car. There is a thread in the Tech FAQ section on the probable cause of the blower failure.
Yes, they do have drop links and they do give the symptoms you describe.
Lastly, the standard brakes are very good, and sensitive!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
petergar
Confirmed BX'er

Post by petergar »

Excellent thank you....I had no idea they had drop links...that’s one easy fix at least. I read the thread on the heater tap but looking at the control panel is it not all electronic? The fan is totally dead....and the knob doesn’t move all the way round (nor does the heater as mentioned).
The brakes are a bit scary...the last BX I had was a GTI so had ABS which obviously made a massive difference. Maybe need to invest in some better tyres!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Do you mean the speed control knob? If so that could be linked to the lack of a blower. I'd read it as the temperature knob, which is linked to the heater tap with a bowden cable.

If the speed control knob is OK, try running another earth to the middle terminal on the heater PCB (behind the control panel) - if not then this link should help.
https://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17847

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
petergar
Confirmed BX'er

Post by petergar »

Yes the control panel with the 3 control knobs in the centre console - one for temperature, one for fan and one for where the air goes....the only one that moves all the way round properly is the 'where the air goes' one. I need to take the centre console to bits and get them out. I like the tip about the earth.....my plan was to initially apply a positive and earth direct to the fan and check it works and then go from there. I take it the actual control panel is unlikely to be at fault?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

It may be the fault, especially given that it does not move. The *usual* problem caused by the control board is a fluctuating speed, but if yours has stuck in the off position that could be it! As you speculate, it could be the motor itself so worth the easy check.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Do the rest of the hydraulics work ok, standard brakes are very sharp but I cant remember ever locking up BX brakes!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
petergar
Confirmed BX'er

Post by petergar »

Tim Leech wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:19 am Do the rest of the hydraulics work ok, standard brakes are very sharp but I cant remember ever locking up BX brakes!
Yes it all works very well.....goes up and down.....I was trying an emergency stop and there is no ABS on the model I have so I was expecting to lock the wheels, just not quite as much as I did.
xantia_v6
BXpert
My Cars: Peugeot 308 CC
Citroen XM V6 ES9
Citroen Xantia V6
Jaguar XJ-S V12

Post by xantia_v6 »

The brakes will lock up more readily if the tyres are very old.
petergar
Confirmed BX'er

Post by petergar »

xantia_v6 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:30 pm The brakes will lock up more readily if the tyres are very old.
I think perhaps replace old with shit and it;s more realistic! I am intending to restore the car to its former glory so perhaps when I refurb the alloys I will buy a set of decent tyres.....they aren't expensive
petergar
Confirmed BX'er

Post by petergar »

I have the control panel out and the clip behind the temperature control has completely snapped off and someone has tried and failed to glue it.....which means the cable is just flapping around at the back. Nothing seemingly wrong with the fan control though.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Athena's didn't have alloy wheels, they has steel wheels and hubcaps, unless its had some fitted, its a Gold coloured car by any chance?

Decent tyres make all the difference
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
petergar
Confirmed BX'er

Post by petergar »

Yes it's gold coloured....I think it's the last one left on the road - it has a set of GTI alloys on it....I'm not overly concerned they aren't original it's never going to be a concourse collectable
petergar
Confirmed BX'er

Post by petergar »

Where is the paint code btw? Can't seem to find anything that ressembles one on the various plates around the car?
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Post by jamescarruthers »

Gold sounds like a good BX colour! Do you have pictures?
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E