GTI's bonnet cable snapped

BX Tech talk
paul001
Confirmed BX'er

GTI's bonnet cable snapped

Post by paul001 »

My GTi's Bonnet cable release has snapped with the bonnet down whats the easiest way of opening bonnet so the cable can be replaced?
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

depends where it's snapped. You might be able to get at the end with pilers under the dash, or it might even be the lever.

Otherwiose it could be snapped at the lock end. You don't want that! But if it were, I'd drive it up on ramps, get a flashlight and something long. Then I'd lookup at the lock and try to uncatch it.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

It's fairly easy to open a locked bonnet, but as to how you attack it depends on the style of lock you have on our car, as there are two.
In short, you use a really long screwdriver fed up through the grill and locate the end of the screwdriver with the pawl on the lock, then push the screwdriver towards the middle of the car.
As for what side of the lock you press depends on which lock.
One style has an arm on the O/S of the lock that presses towards the sentre of the car, the other style has a fixed arm where the cable enters it, and it's the latch in the centre of the lock that moves.

The second style is a bit more involved and requires the use of a screwdriver thats had the end bent at right angles to the shaft.

This of course assumes you have a short nose bonnet. If you have the long nose bonnet then it's even harder, but you can still get at it from underneath, JUST.

Ok, my description sounds painfully longwinded, but it's actually fairly simple, helped obviousley if you have another car with an open bonnet parked next to yours to give you a good visual aid..

Good luck.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Bah, way to complicated, pull RHS head light out (pull the side closest to the bonnet forward then slide the whole lot towards the bonnet and then out), reach around behind the apperture to the lock, pull lever, bing bonnet open. Dont know what the fuss is about!

PS if you have the old haynes, there is a length procedure for this in the back somewhere!
paul001
Confirmed BX'er

Bonnet cable snapped

Post by paul001 »

The cable has snapped at the bonnet end !! Tried both of your suggestions and the one from the Haynes manual to no joy so had to call a Citroen Expert in to do the job for me. Anyone know where I can get a replacement cable Citroen no longer stock or make the cable
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

Try a standard cycle gear or brake inner cable.
Both types are approx 200-205cm long.

Brake – 1.5mm OD, with a pear and pellet shape retainers fixed at either end.

Gear cable, 1.3mm OD, with a slightly smaller pear shape retainer on one end.

About £3 - £4 each

Regards
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

You can buy universal ones from most old school motor factors. QH used to make them.
paul001
Confirmed BX'er

bonnet cable snapped

Post by paul001 »

cheers fellas got one today now have to wait till tomorrow to get the bonnet open.