Changing Wishbone suspension bushes

BX Tech talk
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Changing Wishbone suspension bushes

Post by maxgreenwood »

I want to get all the lower wishbone suspension bushes on my car replaced, right side is clonking taking up drive and braking, pretty sure its them, will check for sure this wend.

They need to be done anyway as they're falling apart. I've had a quote of €320 from our local, says it can be a nightmare cos the pin running trhough can be seized to the subframe in which case it will cost more!

I've also heard its a straightforward job from others.

The Haynes points out a special citroen tool or making your own for pressing them in. And i've heard alignment is important.

Does anyone here have any advice they could offer? I have replacement bushes on their way.

Is it possible with a 'standard' press?

And will advance soakage with penetrating oil enable easy-ish dismatling?

Thanks
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

its not the bolt that sticks its the inside nut and the BOL special tool is pants if you are still coming up i will get two ready for you as i am sure there is bushes in stock :)
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

ah the reassuring voice of someone who cares :)

yes i will be coming up to see you if thats still ok

you said it was straight forward, i was just a bit worried when i spoke to the garage. I forgot you mentioned swapping the whole arms in which case if you can prep them thad'd be great.

Let me know whether you have any bushes as i was just about to get some sent over from the UK - i need to get that on the go this week - if you don't have any new ones i'll get them sent to you.

Looking forward to getting stuck in!
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

The bolt (pin actually, but you know what I mean) is rarely a problem. With that removed the arm falls off. Burn out the old ones, beat in the new ones, shove it all back together.

First time I did them I managed both sides (all 4 bushes) in about 3hrs, which included drinking tea.
this might be a signature
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

ah the reassuring voice of someone who cares
..as in the garage didn't sound too keen..

Thanks David thats good to know. Did you have to be careful how they were aligned or maybe i'm being over cautious?
Burn out the old ones, beat in the new ones, shove it all back together.
doesn't sound like it :lol: