Annoying clonk

BX Tech talk
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Annoying clonk

Post by Aerodynamica »

Both Cyril the BX and Aphrodite the CX have a similar annoying clonk from around the RH front axle upon taking up drive (mostly with a bit of right hand down such as pulling away right from a driveway) it will do it once and not again for ages but almost always does it after heavier braking.

I have checked the lower ball joint, the brake caliper, pads, anti rattle spring, lower wishbone bush - not a race of wear in any of them. There was a small split on the rubber of the track rod end of that side but no sign of wear in the actual joint.

What could it be? duff CV joint - it's totally silent otherwise.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Check the lower engine mount and the bolt under the O/S/F mount, which is hidden in the OSF arch behind the little oval rubber grommet.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

OK will do! thanks very much
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Debelix
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Debelix »

Erm... I've got the exact same annoying clonk from the RH front area and don't have even the slightest clue what could be the reason for it :( So please if you find out what causes the damn sound, would you be "as kind as you are beautiful" (as and old BG phrase says) and write the answer to this riddle? :)
Driving a 1989 Citroen BX 19TRD
Before that - Frankenstein in the form of 1992 Lada Samara 1500S
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

A few other points to check - The lower balljoint can be slightly loose in the hub i.e they can unscrew themselves if not fully tightened and staked.

The front subframe mountings, particularly the rear bolts in the floor.

Front strut top mounting, is it tight and sound and is the 35mm nut tight.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Thanks for the advice. Right so far I only checked the strut mountings and the rearmost sub frame mountings and found the sub frame nut to be less than tight. I tried to nip it up but it will not tighten so I'm guessing there is a hex of sorts under the carpet to lock first - does the carpet all have to come up?
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Aerodynamica wrote:sub frame nut to be less than tight. I tried to nip it up but it will not tighten so I'm guessing there is a hex of sorts under the carpet to lock first - does the carpet all have to come up?
For a BX hatch it is necessary to remove the carpet and peel back the tape over access holes in the boot floor.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Tis the front subframe but the rearmost mountings!
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'