Electric window control box?

BX Tech talk
Alastair
BXpert

Electric window control box?

Post by Alastair »

Any one know if there is an electric window control unit fitted to the BX? The car has all four electric windows and the fault is on all 3!??
Bx turbo diesel 1989
Bx 1.9 Rd estate 1989
Citroen Light 15 1952
Bx 17 TZD diesel turbo 1992
Xantia 1.8 16v
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Each door window has its own motor + switch but nothing more fancy apart from the 2-mode switch on the driver's door (TZ, GTI, 16v etc ) which has its own control box. Only the central locking has a central control box, strangely enough.

Front and Rear window pairs have a fuse each (see Haynes or an owner's manual if you have one).

Individal windows can get a bit sticky if underused (rubber liners stick to the glass a bit if dirty but can be gently freed ). Switches could suffer from corrosion if the door interior has been getting damp.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Alastair
BXpert

Post by Alastair »

The fault is....The drivers window works as it should, but the other three most of the time will go down to any point you ask but refuse to go back up!! Which is handy. If you leave the car overnight then they will usually rise in the morning, or if you just keep driving along and trying then the window which is down may decide to rise. In desperation I disconnected the fns window as they passenger kept opening it and couldnt close it.....Any thoughts??
Bx turbo diesel 1989
Bx 1.9 Rd estate 1989
Citroen Light 15 1952
Xantia 1.8 16v
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Just a thought....have you tried swapping the switches with the known good one and see if that makes a difference and if it does then its a case of a can of contact cleaner from Maplins or some other such place and give the internals of the 'bad' switches a good dose of it. Just an idea...it would at least eliminate whether it was the switches or not.
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

ellevie wrote:I had one of these where the passenger window would wind down but not up and the drivers switch had no effect at all. I couldn't lift the window up by hand but was able to raise it by temporarily reversing the wires to the motor so that it would only go up instead of down. In my case the problem turned out to be high resistance in the passenger switch. I was able to clean the switch contacts using a thin strip of paper and some WD40. The contacts were accessible through the small slots on the side of the switch. I suppose the passenger switch gets very little use compared with the driver's and therefore the contacts are more likely to collect dust or tarnish.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

You can remove the rocker arms on all the window switches to gain access to the contacts, by placing a small thin blade in the centre of the main body, gently lever outwards and raise the rocker on either side.

Usually the contacts require re-facing and the rocker pressure plate needs tensioning.

The rocker pins are chamfered on the underside which makes refitting easer by just pressing together.

Just need to check the switch makes contact before refitting.

Regards
Alastair
BXpert

Post by Alastair »

Thanks for the interest, the turbos off the road now for lots of minor jobs to be done. At least I know there is no control box so will clean switches and report back.
Bx turbo diesel 1989
Bx 1.9 Rd estate 1989
Citroen Light 15 1952
Xantia 1.8 16v