Washer appears to be blocked

BX Tech talk
SamWise
BXpert

Washer appears to be blocked

Post by SamWise »

I'm no fan of the BX screen wash system anyway, it just doesn't get enough water in the right places, particularly at standstill. Yesterday, mine suddenly moved to just a dribble. I assumed it was low on fluid, but on going to top up, there was a third of a tank left. I filled it anyway, but to no avail. I can hear the pump whirring away, so I assume there's a blockage somewhere - is there a known place for these things to go wrong?
1966 Triumph Herald convertible with big valve twin carb Spitfire head

1973 Bedford Panorama Elite II Bus

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

1992 Citroen AX Echo 1.4D
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello Sam well the spray bar usually seems to last for at least a day before blocking.
I would start at the beginning and pull the pipe off the pump to see if it is pumping, I have had a pump lead me a merry dance the motor was going full tilt but the impeller had bust and it was not pumping. Next is the non return valve in the tube not far from the pump. Go to the local accessory shop and get either 1 or 2 jets ( if using 2 then you will need a 'T' piece.) The type with a long stem and a nut for fixing. No need to drill anything just pop it through the grill at the bottom of the wind screen. With a ' T ' piece then you can have one each side. I did this a couple of years ago and have had not had a problem since.
If you remove and clean out the tank which seems to gather all sorts of things in the bottom then that will help.
Cheers
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

The concept behind the BX spray system is great, but the execution isn't brilliant.

If you have a search through the forum, you'll find details of the 405 washer modification I've done very sucessfully on BX's, which is remarkably better than the standard setup.

... but for the moment, the most likely place for blockage is through the spindle. Pull the short rubber hose off the centre of the spindle of the wiper and run the pump... that will probably shoot a lump of crud out, straight over the bonnet and anyone stood in front of the car.

The spray bar can be cleared by removing the stop-end from it, and back flushing. The individual holes are pin-clearable.
this might be a signature
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

These always seem to block up just in time for the MOT. :lol:

The spray bar clips off easily so that a stiff wire can be pushed up it to clear any blockage. Also check and clear the individual spray holes if necessary.

As David says the hole through the spindle can be a problem. A simple way around this is to run the rubber tube up through the grill and connect it directly to the bottom of the spray bar itself.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

ellevie wrote:These always seem to block up just in time for the MOT. :lol:

The spray bar clips off easily so that a stiff wire can be pushed up it to clear any blockage. Also check and clear the individual spray holes if necessary.

As David says the hole through the spindle can be a problem. A simple way around this is to run the rubber tube up through the grill and connect it directly to the bottom of the spray bar itself.
I've done exactly this, as I was fed up with the weak spray through the hole in the spindle, which I tried several times to clear out with a length of wire to no avail. With the rubber tube connected directly to the spray bar, the difference is spectacular, better spray power than ever before! An unsightly solution, but it's done the trick for me!
SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

I now believe the pump has failed. Are they hard to get?

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hi Sam when I last had to get one, in a hurry for MOT, Halfords had them on the shelf. About 12 quid. What can happen is that the holes block up, put a load on the pump and the impeller packs it in. Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Citroen p/n 643466

Places to try with local branches,
gsfcarparts.com
eurocarparts.com

Also mail order from Glasgow,
AEPdirect.com
David

BX19TXD 150k K Reg
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Surely any old generic pump can be adapted to fit?
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

stuart_hedges wrote:Surely any old generic pump can be adapted to fit?
definitely! both front and rear pumps on mine have been replaced with some type of standard issue replacements and oddly, the old originals are still in place too - the new ones sit out side fastened on to the second bulkhead and they work very well.

Though the spray tube only seems to spray from 2 places.

I find the thing works very well when stopped but on the motorway I always get too much water left at the lower driver's side of the windscreen that then runs up with air flow and takes 3-4 extra wipes to clear but then it has re streaked the rest of the screen :evil:
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

SamWise wrote:I now believe the pump has failed. Are they hard to get?
Sorry if I'm asking an obvious question, but have you checked the electric connection to the pump motor?

A while back, I thought my front washer pump had packed in. It turned out the spade connector was loose and the spade needed a good clean. Having LHM and coolant bottles rolling around in the space around the reservoir didn't help as they would have knocked against the connector going around corners.

In my GSA I've also recently found poor/non-existent washer performance to be down to the pump sucking in air because of a bad seal where the end of the input hose had flared out where it was pushed onto the pump. Chopped the end off, reprimed the pump and it was all good. Note in this case, it's an aftermarket pump mounted on the inner wing to replace the original single pulse piston-action pump mounted on the reservoir.

Re. the spraybar I've wondered about buying a length of stainless steel or brass tubing of the correct diameter, bending to shape and drilling tiny holes, and plugging the end with the plug from the original spraybar... You could even spray it black as long as you made sure the holes were cleared out using a pin.

Mark.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

If you can't get a generic washer pump, I've probably got an old BX one knocking around, Sam. Or you could maybe swap pumps from the rear wash/wipe tank if you can do without that for a while (and if it's working.....and if it's really worth the trouble). But I would recommend getting the multimeter out first to check it all out.

As an angler, I'm fortunate that there's usually a hook or two somewhere in the car which I can use to clear any blocked spraybar holes.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

Yeah, the rear doesn't work, and I've so far not worried about that. My spraybar is knackered too, it's split at the curve point, so that was about the only place any water was emerging. I'll take a look at the spades, and see what's what.

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Citroen part number: 94 495 714 (spraying ramp).
David

BX19TXD 150k K Reg
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Whereabouts can you get the rubber bung that seals the pump to the tank? on my tzd when i cleaned it all up i noticed that the bung disintegrated & so now doesnt seal properly :x
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.