LHM tank cap

BX Tech talk
TB2
BXpert

LHM tank cap

Post by TB2 »

Hi there,

nothing serious, but the cap of my LHM tank sits very loose. Is this supposed to be that way? It actually only sits "on" the tank without any fixation. I turned the Y part that sticks out the top of it so that one end goes under the car body at the side, but I'm not sure if that's okay. I hear that it's supposedly very important not to let any dust into the tank and such. Also, on one end of that Y piece there's a thin tube going somewhere down and it's not possible to pull it up. I thought it's for releasing excess fluid in case someone filled it to high but is it connected somewhere?

by the way, my TD just passed the "Abgastest" without problems on Friday (exhaust emission limits test) :)

Regards,
Carl
Carl

1989 TRD "Entreprise" Turbo Diesel
1989 16 Valve
---
Parts needed:
- One black leather headrest.
- FDV overhaul kit (95.669.034)
Please contact me through PN if you have any of this.
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Mine is the same as yours, there's no fixation. I would guess it's supposed to attach but I don't think the cap being loose will cause a problem. I also have the pipe coming from the cap, mine disappears with a load of the other pipes that come from the reservoir.

If you wanted you could put some tape over it or something?
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Tourist wrote:I would guess it's supposed to attach
You guess wrong.

The cap does "just sit there". All LHM reservoir caps are only a very mild interference fit. There's no clip per-se, just the rubber edge of the lid.
this might be a signature
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

I also have the pipe coming from the cap, mine disappears with a load of the other pipes that come from the reservoir.
This pipe is just a vent for the tank. They only use a pipe for this so it can be routed to a relatively 'safe' spot that's less likely to suck in grime.

I'm sure the Haynes book lists each of the pipes at the tank (or is it the CX haynes that does?)
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I'm sure the Haynes book lists each of the pipes at the tank (or is it the CX haynes that does?)
Possibly in the Brown-edition Haynes, but probably not in the dumbed-down Blue one. There may be one on the BX DIY site, though the best I've seen was on the now-defunct-but-archived-somewhere Japanese BX owner's site (bx.org was somewhere in the url).
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

DLM wrote:...though the best I've seen was on the now-defunct-but-archived-somewhere Japanese BX owner's site (bx.org was somewhere in the url).
http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~ynar/bxorg_a ... /m15e.html
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg