Tourist investigates ... removing the intercooler

BX Tech talk
Tourist
BXpert

Tourist investigates ... removing the intercooler

Post by Tourist »

Today was nice and sunny so I decided to get out there and take my intercooler off, with hope that I would uncover something really obvious relating to lack of turbo boost.

This is how things look now:

I've had a good look (and feel) round all the pipes, checking for anything that could be loose. I can't find anything, all the pipes and bits seem to be ok, but I will look again tomorrow to be sure.

Now that I have the intercooler off, is there anything else I can do? I've come this far so I'm willing to go further if it means finding the problem.

I also checked the air filter, looks nice and clean.

I have noticed a small oil leak, this is nothing that needs attention yet.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Looking on the top of the manifold, the rubber seal seems to have become detatched from where it should sit in the intercooler. Make sure you don't lose it or worse still let it drop down the manifold.

Check the intercooler for any signs of damage. Also give it de-grease while it's off.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Is that all I can do? So I should put it back together now?
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

What you *should* do is take it apart as much as is necessary to diagnose the problem you have. Exactly what this entails is very difficult to say, as it requires skill and experience when looking at every component to determine if there's a problem with it, and deciding what else needs investigation.

Any results on the test I explained a while ago? or has that (or indeed any response) been lost in the 74 threads that are currently open about this car?
this might be a signature
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

David I carried out the test and I'm pretty sure I posted results, the pipe is blowing air, just a bit more than a hair dryer. Doesn't feel like there's as much as there should be ...