Indicator/wiper stalks

BX Tech talk
mat_fenwick

Indicator/wiper stalks

Post by mat_fenwick »

I'm wondering how easy it would be to swap the two stalks over - so the headlights/indicators/horn are on the right...I much prefer that layout as it means that you can change gear etc and still cancel main beam if a car appears.
Is there anyone out there with a photographic memory who can tell me whether the fixings are the same for both stalks? Obviously I can find out for myself when it's lighter, but if someone already knows that would be handy!
I would have to swap round the indicator wires, otherwise that would be slightly confusing...although not as bad as a guy I heard about, who was doing a fairly major engine swap, and had to change the steering rack position to get clearance. So he flipped it upside down and ended up with a car that steered to the right when he turned left!!!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I've never heard of such a thing being done, but if it's do-able I'm interested - I've always felt that it's wrong to change gear and indicate with the same hand.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

It is a French car, you are expected to change gear with your right hand!

Rather than mess with it, simply buy a left hand drive BX.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

I suspect the only way this would be possible would be to modify the mountings for the stalks on the column. Certainly there's no way the stalks would just unbolt and bolt back in the other way around.

The other issue you would have is all the symbols would be upside-down!

Would be an improvement though... after all, RHD cars should have the indicators on the right. As Mike mentioned, it's only because the majority of cars built are built LHD that we RHD owners get a car that is essentially designed LHD and modified for RHD.
this might be a signature
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

DavidRutherford wrote:As Mike mentioned, it's only because the majority of cars built are built LHD that we RHD owners get a car that is essentially designed LHD and modified for RHD.
Aha, so that's why Japanese cars are (were?) often fitted with the indicator stalk on the right...sometimes I amaze myself with my dim-wittedness.
Actually, upside down symbols would probably bug me for a reason I can't explain - I never have to refer to them after all! I suspect it'll go right to the bottom of the 'to do' list.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

mat_fenwick wrote:Aha, so that's why Japanese cars are (were?) often fitted with the indicator stalk on the right.
Yep. Land-Rovers, up to the mid-80's also had the indicator stalk on the right.

It's also why some japanese cars from the 70's and 80's came fitted with a two-dial radio that had the volume on the right and the tuning on the left. The volume is the one you need access to more often, so on a LHD car it should be on the left (as 99.99% of radios were) but for a RHD car it ought to be on the right.
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

My (Korean) Hyundai Santa Fe (03 vintage) has the controls as per old skool British cars. They've changed the set up since tho'.
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

mike st gilles wrote:My (Korean) Hyundai Santa Fe (03 vintage) has the controls as per old skool British cars.
Many Korean and other Asian cars are set up like that as they're based on older Japanese cars.

I recently drove a "star in a reasonably priced car" Suzuki Liana and was pleased to see a right-hand indicator stalk.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

You must have an superbly running immaculate BX if you have the time to worry about the indicator position!

I wish mine was so good.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I think Mat has other things to worry about now.

http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php ... &start=105 :cry:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

It is a French car, you are expected to change gear with your right hand!
This reminded me how, driving on a clifftop road on a Greek Island, I can clearly recall going to change gear on a Japanese rental Econobox only to find myself winding down a window instead and feeling puzzled.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.