Fitting temperature gauge

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

Fitting temperature gauge

Post by toddao »

I've just acquired a temperature gauge for my TRD so I don't have to do the head gasket again! I managed to find one with a green LED display to match the green display of the clock. I didn't want to upset the Lego binnacle with a traditional style gauge.

Anyway, it comes with a temperature sender which I suppose must be fixed into the thermostat housing, replacing one of the warning light sensors. Thing is, it's too small so I've either got to get an adaptor for the thread or another temp sensor entirely.

If anyone knows : where I could find either of the above or even what size the thread would be for the original sensor that would be most helpful.

Cheers
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Thing is, it's too small so I've either got to get an adaptor for the thread
No idea on this , though I have some old Mark2 BX temp switches knocking around - which I'd imagine are the same. I'll take a measurement if non-one else knows - and I'd gladly send one if you want to experiment with tapping out an old switch.
or another temp sensor entirely.
If you want a substitute for your new temp sensor you'll need to match the specifications of that new sensor 100% (and its means of sensing) or be prepared to do some basic circuit calculation at least. Know any tame electronic hobbyists or engineers?
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks for reply David. I think I might have to tap an old switch as you suggest. I've also got this huge German electronic components catalogue which has adaptors for various threads, maybe something there?
Todd

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Hi Todd,

I've used these before, not sure whether postage would be prohibitive. I work in temperature calibration, so I could calibrate it for you...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks Mat, that does look like the stuff. Just got to get an accurate measurement now.
The sender that came with the new gauge measures as a 9mm thread ( I don't know what that would be in inches?), so I've just got to measure the BXs sender thread now..

( what are you calibrating the temp of by the way? 'Industrial applications')
Todd

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Hi Todd. it's a mix of industrial calibration and equipment for other labs. It's one of those jobs that you have to explain to most people who ask what I do for a living! (We calibrate stuff to to 0.001°C so probably overkill for a BX temeprature sensor :D )

The other option (just remembered it!) which I have used before to match sensors to engines is using a local hydraulic supplier - if you can 'borrow' a sensor from your yellow one maybe, and that way you can have sample threads to match. The ones I have used seemed to have just about any thread you could think of.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad