Auto box or engine mount?

BX Tech talk
B-Hive
BXpert

Auto box or engine mount?

Post by B-Hive »

Hi all fellow crazed folk

Margot (auto TRS16) has had a surprise reawakening as the SAAB is in hospital during her cycle of normal service.

The BX picked up the slack no dramas until today, when there was this curious moment when she held second longer than usual. (usually quite quick to change up). Fairly shortly afterwards as I was slowing for a TL, there was, on two occasions, a rough judder/shudder from some where in the driveline.

This is very similar to the one off time when I brought the car to life after two years of sitting idle. Since then I have replaced the trans fluid with Dex II equivalent and had zero issues with the transmission.

Anyone think that it might be a minor blockage somewhere?, or perhaps think it has something to do with a dodgy engine/transmission mount on that side that is over-due for replacement, or WCS imminent trans failure.

Car has not even hit 100k miles yet. I really dont think its the first sign of transmission failure, but I'd like some informed input before setting off on my next long journey.

WCS... how easy is it to convert to manual and drop a 16v in, and experience what everyone is on about re "valvers".....bearing in mind, in terms of staggering performance, it would have to be seriously good to come close to my SAAB turbo 16v. But guessing, that as the Cit is considerably lighter, it wouldn't need the power and stump pulling torque the SAAB offers.

Thanx peeps
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

You say that you have changed the fluid. Have you checked to see that you haven't overfilled it?

If the fluid is higher than normal you will get harsh changes and possibly early damage to the oil seals.

Measurement for 'normal' must be done when engine hot after driving. (It will be much lower on the dipstick with engine cold.)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Way2go wrote:Measurement for 'normal' must be done when engine hot after driving. (It will be much lower on the dipstick with engine cold.)
Usually the other way around... when the engine and transmission is cold, the level will be higher, as the valve block drains back to the transmission sump and you get a false high reading.

To correctly check the transmission oil level, there's a procedure (varies a bit beteween cars) whereby you have a hot engine and transmission, and then go through every gear something like 4 times to make sure the valve block is full, and then dip the oil within a short period of time.
this might be a signature
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Not on the BX David, the procedure in the handbook is check when hot.

I also know for a fact that the level goes up when hot because the first time I checked and added when cold , this causes 'chunky' changes. The fluid seems to expand significantly when checked hot. Anyway siphoned some back out and the changes reverted to nice and slick. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Is that the same with the bx manual gearbox as well?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

No, the manual uses gear oil and does not have the dipstick for this measurement. The automatic uses a different fluid and its capacity is 3 times that of the manual box.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

If you want a bx with a 16V engine, I would recommend you buy a BX with one already fitted.

they also come with 8) extras, like nice seats, fat tyres and bigger brakes.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Way2go wrote: the level goes up when hot
How very peculiar! Just about every auto box I've ever dealt with has a lower level when the box is in use, all the oil draining back to the sump when the engine is off creating a false high reading.

Still, at least the rule of "always check when hot" is true.

And I agree with Mike above... don't even consider trying to convert the car, just sell it as it is and buy a 16v.
this might be a signature
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Thx guys for the feedback

Said BX has only occasionally juddered on slowdown. When it did I decided that it was because it wasnt changing down soon enough and then all of of a sudden realising it needed to be a couple, or a few gears, lower than it was so it got a bit flustered.. its only a quite rare occurence so not sure if its a level issue...

Thx also for the heads up on a conversion..i guess i was never really serious about that proposition but good to know not to waste my time and energy.
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed