BX16V Starting issues

BX Tech talk
Daniel B
Confirmed BX'er

BX16V Starting issues

Post by Daniel B »

Hello all,

my 16V has been sat for a while, and won't start....

The last attempt was in December with no success, old fuel would seem to be the most likely culprit, so we are probably going to syphon it all out, and stick some fresh fuel in - will there likely be any problems with the overflow tank, or should that not come into play?

Previous times when she has been stood for a while the old girl has started fine first time, but that was with the old trusty starter motor, and now I have a new whizzy one, which doesn't sound as nice, and I fear doesn't do as good a job.

Does anyone know if you can still get a new old style starter motor, or are they all like that now?

If the fuel doesn't seem to be the issue, does anyone else have any good pointers of where to start?

We've already established we're getting a healthy spark on all 4 HT leads.

Cheers for now

Dan
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

To answer your question with a couple of questions:

How long has it been since it was filled up?
Is the fuel pump pumping?

Depending on how long it has been left I would probably expect some attempt to fire...so maybe make sure you are getting fuel to the injectors before going to the trouble of siphoning the old out.

As a bit of an aside, I have had an engine give a decent spark when the plug is out of the cylinder, but not under compression. It was (eventually!) proved by clamping and inductive pick up from a timing lamp around the HT leads, which activated the strobe only when disconnected from the spark plug.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Daniel B
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Daniel B »

Thanks for the reply Mat,

ummm, by now it will be 11 months......

At christmas it was 8 months I guess.

Yep defo getting fuel through to the business end of things, we tested that at christmas, but misjudged which bit of pipe it would come through, so we had a bit of pipe covered as it merrily came shooting out the other bit :lol:

It's turning fine, and last time it sounded like it would nearly catch, but just didn't quite manage it - hopefully the milder weather might help as well.

Cheers

Dan